The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Quote Originally Posted by Jhorne89 View Post
    Unfortunately I have the means to care for the horse and she knows it. I just hate feeling like all my time, which is already precious, is going to need to be rationed further because of her. I care for my own horses plus 10 boarders horses. I told her tonight never again, I cannot and will not do this. Thankfully, one of my boarders has fallen in love with her and we are discussing her adopting her. If not a few other people have offered to take her. I am a total pushover and I know it
    You have just made a dreadful mistake. Your means are irrelevant. Your boarder's feelings are irrelevant. Your neighbor committed a crime and you're enabling the miscreant.

If you want to become a "horse rescue" then you've just taken the first step.

For background, I was the VP and Large Animal Committee for our local humane society when this happened to a friend of mine. We did as I suggested (called the sheriff and made a report; AC ultimately identified the owner); the group took legal custody of the horse; I ended up doing the rehab; the owner paid for about half that cost; we sold the horse and recouped the balance of rehab costs. It worked out nicely at the end for everybody (including the owner who was not charged with abandonment). You're predicament is on all-fours with ours. Do what we did.

G.
    Mangalarga Marchador: Uma Raça, Uma Paixão

6 members found this post helpful.

Unfortunately I have the means to care for the horse and she knows it.
    You have the means to pay for my lunch today and I know it (obviously if you can afford a free horse) I have taken the liberty of sending a PayPal invoice to you and will be expecting payment.

See how dumb that sounds? And that was just 4 bucks because I thought I'd go to McDs. You're taking in a HORSE. Because your neighbor TIED IT TO YOUR GATE.

6 members found this post helpful.

Gotta agree with GGR, that takes nerve. Evidently she has the means to care for the horse, she simply doesn't want the mare.

She should pay the costs for rehoming the mare -- vet exam, vaccinations, coggins, placing ads, maybe a month or so of feed or even board, whatever you would be out of pocket for on this horse. Tell her you'll do the work of finding her a new home, but she needs to be responsible for the costs. If she was willing to take on the expense of another horse (your push-button gelding), she should have the means to pay at least a few hundred towards the above costs.

In exchange, you won't report her for animal abandonment/neglect.

I feel sorry for the mare, she's very lucky that you're willing to step up and take care of her!!!

Quote Originally Posted by GaitedGloryRider View Post
    Wow, that bitch has a brass pair.

So she's so desperate to get out from under the perfectly sound-but-needs-experienced-rider horse that she'll tie her to a gate after being told NO a million times...but she's not so desperate to reduce her numbers that she'll take in a push button horse?

I was under the impression she was unloading the horse due to financial reasons (knee-jerk assumption on my part due to CL giveaway overload I guess, my bad). Must not be about money if she can take your gelding though.

What a $%^&.
    My husband actually told her she needs to pay "horse support". She said she would take my push button gelding in exchange and care for him.. No thanks!
    Horse & Dog Designs: Clothing, Pendants, Water Bottles, Totes, Phone Cases, ETC:
    WoofNWhinny*
    NEW: Schnauzers, Boxers, Western, & Polo Ponies

Horsey Humor, Ponies, Barn Safety & More.

next stop, she'll park a beat up old VW in your driveway and demand your mercedes...

ETA: (Adjust for whatever's in your driveway... )
    Nudging "Almost Heaven" a little closer still...
    http://www.wvhorsetrainer.com

2 members found this post helpful.

West of insanity, east of apathy, deep in the heart of Texas.

Quote Originally Posted by StGermain View Post
    I'd make the neighbor do care for her ex-horse and the boarders' horses to pay for her board. That way you aren't stretched even thinner and she hopefully learns some horse sense.

StG
    This is an EXCELLENT idea!

I'd still get the cops involved, though. You have a boarding facility next to her house. She seems to think that screams "free board" for any horse of hers that she's disposing of. Don't try to disabuse her of that notion yourself; let the cops do it. That's what they're there for.
    In loving memory of Laura Jahnke.
    A life lived by example, done too soon.
    www.caringbridge.org/page/laurajahnke/

1 members found this post helpful.

I have a Cadillac she has a Mercedes, lol. But seriously, I know I am a huge pushover My uncle is an attorney I'm going to call him today and I also know some people in law enforcement (one of my best friends is a deputy). She's coming over to ride this evening so I'm going to talk to her, I know she can file a report for me.

2 members found this post helpful.

Why can't I be a tough b****!? I seriously need to work on that.

It's okay.... it's really commendable to be nice. :=) It's just not always -prudent-...
    Nudging "Almost Heaven" a little closer still...
    http://www.wvhorsetrainer.com

3 members found this post helpful.

If it were a car or some other inanimant object instead of a horse you feel even a smidge of responsibility to I'm sure you would be in touch with your inner Tough B****.

Why can't I be a tough b****!? I seriously need to work on that.
    If you need suggestions and help on that, we can help! On a more serious note, kudos for you stepping up to the plate. Also, remember "no good deed goes unpunished".