The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Ouch then. Sounds like you are getting screwed.

She must be getting a pretty desperate. Sucks she's dumping her problem on you but it might be best to just take the horse, get a bill of sale, transfer of ownership or whatever and never, ever do business with her again.

Regardless of local laws concerning this type of thing it might be best to fill out a police report on the matter, if for no other reason to discourage her from thinking she can pull a stunt like this on you (or another unsuspecting person) again. Sounds like she's got 4 other horses still, wonder if she's contemplating unloading any of them in the same manner too.

5 members found this post helpful.

Or walk the horse back to her place.

She didn't seem very concerned about upsetting you when you tied a horse to your gate after you told her you didn't want the horse. Why should you be concerned about upsetting her by calling the law on her for breaking the law?

If you do nothing, or keep the horse, she gets away with it. What happens if she then brings the rest of the horses and ties them to your gate? When do you put your foot down?

8 members found this post helpful.

Quote Originally Posted by dacasodivine View Post
    Or walk the horse back to her place.

She didn't seem very concerned about upsetting you when you tied a horse to your gate after you told her you didn't want the horse. Why should you be concerned about upsetting her by calling the law on her for breaking the law?

If you do nothing, or keep the horse, she gets away with it. What happens if she then brings the rest of the horses and ties them to your gate? When do you put your foot down?
    She has an adorable (but unhandled) 4 month old appendix colt that was the result of an accidental breeding (stud has since been gelded) that she's jokingly said she's going to give me, now I'm starting to wonder... I got a transfer of ownership that I printed out and has her sign. I just need to learn to be mean with people, but I always feel like the horse loses out then. I've had MANY horses dumped on me. I think it's cause I have a large piece of property in a very urban area and people assume I will just get over it.

I think I would call law enforcement, file a report, explain the situation, etc. That way, you've got a paper trail just in case. Someone who is off enough to do this may well be off enough to do something else equally bizarre and it wouldn't hurt to have a record of it all.
    A good horseman doesn't have to tell anyone...the horse already knows.

Might be a reason, never an excuse...

7 members found this post helpful.

I think there is a huge difference between being a push over and being mean to people.

If you can afford to take care of the drop offs then no worries. If taking in the drop offs means your own are going to have to go with out then it is time to put your foot down and stop letting people take advantage of you.

7 members found this post helpful.

What trubandloki said.

Oh man. You might have just set yourself up to have her try to dump more horses on you. They are HER responsibility. If that colt, or any other horses belonging to her, shows up at your place, walk it back and tell her you can't take it. Be firm. Put it back in the pasture yourself if you must. If you don't want to confront her, take the horse back when she isn't there. I'm talking the possible future dumpee not the current one.

Being firm is not the same as being mean. If she won't take it back or brings it back to your place, call the police.

I know you worry about the horses suffering. We can't save them all as much as we might like. You take care of your horses as best you can and that is the only ones YOU are responsible for.

4 members found this post helpful.

Quote Originally Posted by Jhorne89 View Post
    I'm worried about causing a feud though, is there a way to resolve it without making more drama? It's obvious she's nuts, why else would somebody do that? It isn't like I told her once I didn't want the horse, I told her SEVERAL times on top of my husband telling her I couldn't take it. I, thankfully, am in a position where I can take the horse in, just don't really want to.
    Yes, I understand why you don't want to involve The Authorities.

But if you don't you have the exposures I've described. Further, you invite an Act II of the "drama" already commenced.

Why do people assume that someone who commits an evil and cruel act is "nuts?" I doubt that's true. The owner simply wants shut of the horse and is too lazy to sell it or give it away them self. Why should you do their "dirty work" for them?

Tell them to come and take it back or you call the sheriff. If they have "heartburn" with this then remind them that it's their miscreant behavior that created the problem.

Good luck in dealing with this because I don't think it's going to be pleasant situation for you no matter what you do.

G.
    Mangalarga Marchador: Uma Raça, Uma Paixão

5 members found this post helpful.

Today my neighbor who owns 5 horses and barely knows the front end from the back end, decided to tie one of her horses to my gate after I told her I couldn't (well, didn't want) to take her. I used to own said horse, sold her and then my neighbor ended up with her. I'm slightly annoyed, but mostly in awe that a person could just do this. Horse is beautiful, young and completely sound, just needs an experienced rider. I just don't get people.

Desperate times for horse owners. At least you got one you know is able to be ridden and is sound. Since you used to own her you can just get her going good and sell her again.

you are just too far from me, or i might be able to take the horse. sorry. Good luck.

It's obvious she's nuts, why else would somebody do that? It isn't like I told her once I didn't want the horse, I told her SEVERAL times on top of my husband telling her I couldn't take it. I, thankfully, am in a position where I can take the horse in, just don't really want to.
    She's nuts like a fox, IMO. She wants horses without knowing diddly about 'em and when she wants out, she knows how to do that.

So far, it was worked for her. If you don't mind taking OrphanHorse, get a bill of sale. If you do mind, take the horse back over there with a cop and refuse to wipe your neighbor's a$$.
    The armchair saddler
    Politically Pro-Cat

3 members found this post helpful.

Yes there is, and you are right, this could become a huge drama. Just get a bill of "sale". These are sad and desperate times, if it were done to me, I would get the transfer in order and forget all of the other hoopla. What good will it do except make me feel as though I followed all of the "rules".
    Last edited by Calamber; Dec. 18, 2012 at 08:43 PM.
    "When written in Chinese, the word "crisis" is composed of two characters, one represents danger, the other represents opportunity."

John F Kennedy

I'm worried about causing a feud though, is there a way to resolve it without making more drama? It's obvious she's nuts, why else would somebody do that? It isn't like I told her once I didn't want the horse, I told her SEVERAL times on top of my husband telling her I couldn't take it. I, thankfully, am in a position where I can take the horse in, just don't really want to.
    On the upside if you get her good and pissed at you she probably won't dump any more horses at your gate.

2 members found this post helpful.

Report it immediately if not sooner. There are hoards of tort lawyers waiting behind every tree and under every rock foaming at the mouth waiting for something to go wrong.
    “There are two ways to conquer and enslave a nation. One is by the sword. The other is by debt.”
    John Adams

1 members found this post helpful.

I wouldn't worry about causing a feud with someone who obviously has zero respect for you. You said no. She ignored that and ditched the horse on you, and in a very unsafe manner for the horse! She is treating you like a doormat.

You are wonderful for taking the horse. But I would not only get a legal document that transfers ownership to you, but tell her, in no uncertain terms, that if she pulls that crap ever again, that you WILL involve authorities, and you WILL sue her for daily board.
    I\'m not crazy. I\'m just a little unwell.

4 members found this post helpful.

Quote Originally Posted by Sobriska View Post
    I wouldn't worry about causing a feud with someone who obviously has zero respect for you. You said no. She ignored that and ditched the horse on you, and in a very unsafe manner for the horse! She is treating you like a doormat.

You are wonderful for taking the horse. But I would not only get a legal document that transfers ownership to you, but tell her, in no uncertain terms, that if she pulls that crap ever again, that you WILL involve authorities, and you WILL sue her for daily board.
    And then what happens to the next horse? I would certainly have what could be called a harsh discussion with her after I get the ownership squared away. There is a whole country full of people who live in denial, are you going to call the police on all of them?
    "When written in Chinese, the word "crisis" is composed of two characters, one represents danger, the other represents opportunity."

John F Kennedy

Unfortunately I have the means to care for the horse and she knows it. I just hate feeling like all my time, which is already precious, is going to need to be rationed further because of her. I care for my own horses plus 10 boarders horses. I told her tonight never again, I cannot and will not do this. Thankfully, one of my boarders has fallen in love with her and we are discussing her adopting her. If not a few other people have offered to take her. I am a total pushover and I know it

I'd make the neighbor do care for her ex-horse and the boarders' horses to pay for her board. That way you aren't stretched even thinner and she hopefully learns some horse sense.

StG

My husband actually told her she needs to pay "horse support". She said she would take my push button gelding in exchange and care for him.. No thanks!

I would have sent her a board bill.

Did she at least provide a current coggins and vaccination records?
    The rebel in the grey shirt

My husband actually told her she needs to pay "horse support". She said she would take my push button gelding in exchange and care for him.. No thanks!
    Wow, that bitch has a brass pair.

So she's so desperate to get out from under the perfectly sound-but-needs-experienced-rider horse that she'll tie her to a gate after being told NO a million times...but she's not so desperate to reduce her numbers that she'll take in a push button horse?

I was under the impression she was unloading the horse due to financial reasons (knee-jerk assumption on my part due to CL giveaway overload I guess, my bad). Must not be about money if she can take your gelding though.

What a $%^&.

3 members found this post helpful.