The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Default Ice hockey, should I give it a try?

So, I don't need any more hobbies, but thats never stopped me before, and I'm really interested in ice hockey.

Honestly, I don't know much about ice hockey, except it looks fun and there's a year-round adult league fairly close to where I live, that has a very novice division. Are adult leagues men only, or are there co-ed leagues (I didn't see any woman only leagues near me)? I took figure skating as a kid, and like to practice my basic skating skills, so I'm not a completely rank beginner when it comes to keeping myself upright and in motion on the ice, but thats about as far as my skills currently extend.

Anyone on here play? Am I crazy for wanting to try this, or is it worth finding out more information about the classes near me?

Heck yes you should play! I'm probably the worst hockey player in the history of the game, but I have so much fun doing it. I started it as a father-daughter bonding thing with my dad, and anytime I can make it home to visit my parents, I'll join in a game. The group I play with isn't a league- the way it works is we do drills for the first 45 minutes, then scrimmage for 45 minutes, but there is a league, and its both men and women, and everything from high school kids up to a 70 year old retired doctor.
    You should definitely check it out. Its a super workout, and you'll probably make a few friends playing as well. I'm mean, I'm seriously awful, and no one has chased me out of the rink, and the fact that you know how to skate already will help you out. Go for it!

Yes another enabler here! Great sport which I miss dearly. Ice hockey in Australia just isnt the same.

Another sport which you might be interested in is ringette. Another Canadian invented sport similar to ice hockey but mainly women only and no body contect ( in theory! lol) but some place have a co-ed league as well.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ringette

I played for 10+ years growing up and also coached and refed.

P.

Definitely. Hockey freakin rocks to play... Great for fitness too!
    Nudging "Almost Heaven" a little closer still...
    http://www.wvhorsetrainer.com

Hollowed out volcano in the South Pacific.

Try Roller Derby. I think you'd like it better than ice hockey.
    Thus do we growl that our big toes have,
    at this moment, been thrown up from below!

Another option is ball hockey. I play in a co-ed league and it's so much fun, and a great workout. ETA - ball hockey is played in a gym or other non-ice surface so you are running, not skating.

I'm the same as you - grew up figure skating on ponds and rinks (no lessons). I can skate around, and do basic turns, but I can't do the sideways stop or sharp changes of direction. Also keep in mind that the balance on figure skates is completely different than on hockey skates - no toe pick, shorter blades, less heel. The first and only time I tried skating in hockey skates, I pushed off and almost face planted. Maybe you can practice skating a bit first before you join a league to see how comfortable you feel? There might be some adult lessons or camps you can take to improve your skills and get some pointers.
    I've spent most of my life riding horses. The rest I've just wasted.

Im the other way. Face plant in figure skates, halfway decent in hockey skates. Haven't put blades on in years tho :/

I love the COTH enabler crowd! I will have to try skating in hockey skates for sure!! Luckily the same ice rink has really affordable and open skates pretty much every day, so I can pretty much skate to my little hearts content (and also make sure I don't look like a total spaz).

Polydor, I will look up Ringette as well, that also sounds like fun!

Lex, I draw the line at breeches, short shorts and me are not friendly!

damn, am I too late?

Skating with a STICK! you know it has to be awesome!
    Quote Originally Posted by Mozart View Post
    Personally, I think the moderate use of shock collars in training humans should be allowed.

Quote Originally Posted by Alagirl View Post
    damn, am I too late?

Skating with a STICK! you know it has to be awesome!
    Nope, not too late. One can never have enough enabling!

The only sport in the world where you can bounce a check and get a pat on the back for it

2 members found this post helpful.

I say go for it! I played in middle and high school, and it was amazing! Such a good anger outlet. Girls are *technically* not supposed to check, but if the ref didn't see it...
    I'd also say it's unfortunately one of the more expensive sports out there, if you have to buy your equipment brand new. Used can take a little bit of effort to find, but it's worth the price.

And nothing like that good strong quality hockey stance to build your riding muscles! It's pretty similar to how you sit in the saddle, with the shoulders-hips-feet line with the bent knee.

If you have questions about playing hockey, feel free to pm me!!
    Last edited by Electrikk; Dec. 18, 2012 at 11:39 PM. Reason: forgot words... (yay for education!!)
    I like mares. They remind me of myself: stubborn know it alls who only acknowledge you if you have food.
    Hannah B. Nana: 50% horse, 50% hippo
    Fiona: can't decide between jumpers or napping

1 members found this post helpful.

Alrighty my enablers, I'm officially signed up for an adult beginning hockey clinic on Saturday, and I'm starting I'm on the hunt for used gear. Luckily my parents live a few blocks from a sporting goods consignment store that specializes in hockey, so I should be able to find some skates.

I went to their few skate with some friends on Saturday, and this rink has several leagues, stick & puck, and drop in, so I've definitely got lots of opportunities. My current plan is to go to open skate and practice my skating skills while I collect all the gear I need, then start heading to stick & puck until I feel confident enough to try drop-in or maybe the novice league.

But, yeah, I'm totally psyched about this!

Enjoy it! I played in an adult women's league for a few years and loved it! Now I'm too far away from the rinks. But enjoy, it is a LOT of fun! I miss it.
    “Be yourself; everyone else is already taken.”
    ¯ Oscar Wilde

I always thought it would be a blast, too. So wish there was somewhere around here to play. I can skate, and think it would be a great outlet. Electrikk, I think if I ever do, I'll have to PM you for some tips!!
    A proud friend of bar.ka.