The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default Bread making assistance please

My MD has told me to switch my diet to all whole grains
    and I am now using my bread machine to make all my
    bread. I have been told that yeast can be purchased
    from online sources at lower prices than yeast from
    grocery stores. Anyone have a good source to suggest?

Also, my husband loves pumpernickel and the recipes
    I have tried so far have not turned out very tasty. Does
    anyone have a bread machine friendly pumpernickel
    recipe that they enjoy?
    Robin from Dancing Horse Hill
    Elmwood, Wisconsin

Try the King Arthur flour website - they have great recipes and you can get yeast and stuff from them. They also have a forum where you can post questions and get answers from the KA experts :-)

http://www.kingarthurflour.com/shop/RecipeHome

The hardest part of making bread is making the dough - and most machines have a dough-only setting that will mix, knead and let the dough go through the first rise, all right in the machine. So you can pull the finished dough from the machine, finalize the shaping, and bake it in your oven. You may get better results by trying this. I think the whole grain stuff comes out better this way.

4 members found this post helpful.

Yup, KAF is the best
    I wasn't always a Smurf
    Penmerryl's Sophie RIDSH
    "I ain't as good as I once was but I'm as good once as I ever was"
    The ignore list is my friend. It takes 2 to argue.

1 members found this post helpful.

I agree, I love KAF for my bread maker. It's the only wheat flour I've had luck with, the store brands come out weird for some reason.

...I just buy mine from Amazon. In bulk. The stuff keeps practically forever in the freezer.

King Arthur Flour can not only hook you up with great bread recipes, but they have a free baker's hotline staffed by pro bakers who've seen and heard it all. If you ever need help, call them.

Bread machine pumpernickel recipe from KAF:
    http://www.kingarthurflour.com/recip...on-loaf-recipe

And the hotline:
    http://www.kingarthurflour.com/contact/

King Arthur flour all the way - I use it except for some specialty flours that I get at my local co-op. Also, I don't use a bread machine because I am persnickity about controlling the process, but were I to use one, I would just use it to mix and knead. White flour, by the way, is ok in Gold Medal or another decent brand, but their whole wheats aren't finely ground enough or something.

As for pumpernickle I don't make that, because I don't really like it. So no help there. I mostly only make breads that my grandmother made (I learned to bake bread from her - she grew up in the 1800's and was STILL making 2 loaves a week when she died at 95).

King Arthur flour all the way - I use it except for some specialty flours that I get at my local co-op. Also, I don't use a bread machine because I am persnickity about controlling the process, but were I to use one, I would just use it to mix and knead. White flour, by the way, is ok in Gold Medal or another decent brand, but their whole wheats aren't finely ground enough or something.

As for pumpernickle I don't make that, because I don't really like it. So no help there. I mostly only make breads that my grandmother made (I learned to bake bread from her - she grew up in the 1800's and was STILL making 2 loaves a week when she died at 95).

Before you do this, PLEASE read the book "Wheat Belly"...read it twice....really....it's important....
    "As a rule we disbelieve all the facts and theories for which we have no use."- William James
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Proud member of the Wheat Loss Clique.

KAF - I use their Unbleached All-Purpose and White Whole Wheat for everything (usually mixed half & half); mix with Whole Wheat for whole wheat bread. I just noticed that they have a Gluten Free Multi-Purpose, too.

Carol
    www.ayliprod.com
    Equine Photography in the Northeast

You may also enjoy tastier breads if you make them by hand. Although it takes time, I really think that hand made tastes better than bread machine. You can also make a few loaves on a weekend and freeze. Bread freezes pretty well!
    A good horseman doesn't have to tell anyone...the horse already knows.

Might be a reason, never an excuse...

If you want good bread, don't use a bread machine.

Bread made by hand is SO much better; I honestly don't know how people eat the machine-made stuff.

Of course, my husband is a baker so it's easy for me to be choosy! I don't have to bake it! LOL
    In order to think outside the box, one must first know what is in the box.

I am also a fan of any recipe that allows me to PUNCH something.

hee hee.

2 members found this post helpful.

Could some flours have issues that make my bread fall every single time I try to make it? I bought some organic wheat flour off amazon, but every time I've tried to bake, my loaves fall or don't rise enough. I have no idea what I'm doing wrong. I've followed several different recipes and it happens each time.

Don't quote me on this...might be worth researching though. I think that with some types of flour, you may have to add more baking powder if you want a fluffier bread rather than a very dense one. You may also want to look at what you're using as binder (typically egg). There may be adaptations for ingredients, raise time, etc that you have to consider when using some of the various flours.

Again, I'm not an expert on this. I've really only used a bread maker a handful of times for fairly benign recipes. The rest of the time, I do it by hand and when you do it that way, you're watching the dough and doing things on the dough's schedule, not the bread machine's schedule.

I have to run out to the store quick, but I may google around for that when I get back. I'm interested too!

Love KAF! Going on a road trip next month with my friend I "critter" sat for.

Quote Originally Posted by Belair View Post
    Could some flours have issues that make my bread fall every single time I try to make it? I bought some organic wheat flour off amazon, but every time I've tried to bake, my loaves fall or don't rise enough. I have no idea what I'm doing wrong. I've followed several different recipes and it happens each time.
    Yes, I believe so. I had a bag of store-brand wheat flour that was making disastrous breads in my bread maker. I tried several recipes, all which had been been successful before, and nothing was coming out. My bread machine's trouble shooting section listed "bad flour" as a reason for loaves not rising properly. I don't exactly know what makes flour "bad," but I'm convinced that was the cause.

I switched back to the KAF wheat flour that I had been using before and haven't had trouble since. Try a different bag of flour in your recipes and see what happens.

Another vote for not using a bread machine. I have NEVER had good bread out of one. Don't really know why?

The type of bread machine makes a difference also. I've gotten better loaves out of my "Zo" than I did from its predecessor. I am guessing it is because the Zo makes horizontal loaves and the older one made deeper loaves and the yeast didn't have enough push. And not all yeasts are the same. http://www.kingarthurflour.com/shop/...nt-yeast-16-oz works best for sweet bread
    This stuff should be illegal
    http://www.kingarthurflour.com/recip...n-bread-recipe

TRY to let it cool, spread with almond butter and strawberry jam.
    Leftovers make great french toast
    I wasn't always a Smurf
    Penmerryl's Sophie RIDSH
    "I ain't as good as I once was but I'm as good once as I ever was"
    The ignore list is my friend. It takes 2 to argue.

Hollowed out volcano in the South Pacific.

My bread machine made fine bread. I just stopped using it.
    Thus do we growl that our big toes have,
    at this moment, been thrown up from below!

Quote Originally Posted by Indy View Post
    Yes, I believe so. I had a bag of store-brand wheat flour that was making disastrous breads in my bread maker. I tried several recipes, all which had been been successful before, and nothing was coming out. My bread machine's trouble shooting section listed "bad flour" as a reason for loaves not rising properly. I don't exactly know what makes flour "bad," but I'm convinced that was the cause.

I switched back to the KAF wheat flour that I had been using before and haven't had trouble since. Try a different bag of flour in your recipes and see what happens.
    I'll pick up some new flour then and hope it works. I'm not using a bread machine, and I used to sell bread to the neighborhood when I was a kid. I couldn't have completely lost my touch in the last 20 years, right?