The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Our barn has fed them for years with mixed success. Metal feeders led to ugly accidents. Hay huts have worked well. However, if you have a horse in the group who can't handle unlimited access to food, he will become the fattest piggy you've ever seen - I swear, some of them just don't have that mechanism that tells them to stop eating! and obviously that can be dangerous.

Hay huts are expensive but you could potentially make a gravel pedestal of sorts, park your hat hut on it, and put 24 hours of hay in it every evening. It will be under cover so it won't get mashed into the mud, snowed on, pooped on, or otherwise wasted. You only have to feed once/day, and you can control how much you give them. Bonus points if you can feed large squares and save some money that way. That's actually what our barn has started doing for some of the rough board groups that can't handle unlimited access to hay and it seems to be working well.

The OP doesn't want to use a ring anyways, so setting a bale out by itself really would be a way to guage.
    "If you think nobody cares about you, try missing a couple payments..."

IMO it wouldn't be though, because it lasts less than half the time and gives you way more than double the waste than if you had it in a BBB or a net. (There are options other than a ring) I think I'm going to get 3 weeks out of a round with almost zero waste in the new net I have- if there was nothing containing the bale, I'd get less than a week with a ton of wasted hay and mess...I sure wouldn't feed rounds if that was the result I saw. I guess it could show her if the horses will share, but even then- it will be thrown all over and they won't *have* to share side by side so much.
    Kerri

We use a plastic AGI hay ring with a Cinch Chix net in the winter for rounds and it works fabulously.

Hay rings: http://www.agiproducts.com/products/...table-hay-ring

In the summer we remove a panel so the ring is smaller in diameter and throw netted small squares in the ring.

Quote Originally Posted by ChocoMare View Post
    Katerine, do like I do: Twist the excess netting into a TIGHT twist and then roll it onto itself like a giant Hair Bun... then wrap the excess cinch line around it VERY tightly and tie it off.

Leo: This is my version - Cinch Chix Net in a Red River Arena's Hay Cradle.
    Like you I was not keen on the typical horsie tombstone bale ring, but needed to find some way of getting the bale up off the ground/mud and not need a tractor to lift the bale in it. The Hay Cradle was the answer. See info & demo video here: http://www.redriverarenas.com/feeders.html

It shipped in one flat box and with just 2 tools and 20 minutes, Mr. C'Mare and I had it together. It's lightweight to move, but very sturdyl. Going into Year Two with it and it's still in great shape.

LOL you don't know Chippy- I do truss mine up like I'm securing Bin Laden with it, but I would worry if my bale - in a bag- wasn't in a ring. All of my horses are shod.

1 members found this post helpful.

I have three that have access to their round bale only during the day. I use a Cinchchix small hole round bale net and I put it in a feeder that my Mr. Trub built.

http://i41.photobucket.com/albums/e2...17-1295410.jpg

Absolutely, Katarine, shod horses must have their netted bale secured inside a ring.
    <>< Sorrow Looks Back. Worry Looks Around. Faith Looks Up! -- "When they try to tell you these are your Golden years, don't believe 'em.... It's rust."

Quote Originally Posted by Meadow36 View Post
    If you get a good quality ring made for HORSES, not CATTLE, then they tend to work quite well. They are very popular in my area. Only accidents I know of are old, rusty feeders or horses eating from cattle feeders.
    Ditto! Love my round ring. OP - I have a large pony and a miniature horse, switched to round bales for the EXACT same reason you list. I was tired of having to throw hay before work in the morning. I set mine up under the roof of the run-in and it's been a godsend. It lasts nearly three weeks, both can eat out of it, and don't have to do a dang thing. Definitely get something to put it in - too much waste otherwise.
    "No hour of life is wasted that is spent in the saddle" - Winston Churchill

Check out Central Virginia Horse Rescue

I just sit mine out in the field naked.. For the 3 ponies I think they last about 3-4weeks. They are Orchard Mix 4x5's, barn kept and $40.

Mine do have some waste, but right now they are still picking away at it from the ground so I think I am going to give them a few days before I go get a new one.
    Definately worth the convenience of not having to throw hay out in the mornings!

I have used Big Bale Buddys for a few years now. I have found them to be completely safe. I have not had any problems with mold, but I do live in a relatively dry climate... Colorado. Keeping the feeding area under a roof would solve any issues if you live in a wetter area. Before purchasing I was concerned about herd pecking order and the low guy not getting enough to eat. My alpha mare is really mean, but I noticed a change of heart with her using round bales. She finally now shares nicely with others. Even if she didn't, they don't eat 100% of the time and the lowest horse could eat when others are done. I have up to four horses on one bale and everyone remains well fed. Maybe I'm just lucky, but none of my horses have over eaten and gotten too fat. Everyone remains in the best condition. I have had better luck with round bales out 24/7 than feeding flakes over the fence twice a day (always the lowest horse does not get his fair share). I can actually leave for overnight and not have to worry about finding someone to feed horses. I am completely sold on feeding round bales. All horses look way better and my time has been freed up as well. I do think netting the round bale and then putting it in a BBB would be the ultimate arrangement. I do not have any shod horses, so that is always a consideration when using a net.
    Snowline Sport Horses
    http://www.snowlinesporthorses.com
    Breeder of Hanoverian horses

Quote Originally Posted by SuckerForHorses View Post
    The OP doesn't want to use a ring anyways, so setting a bale out by itself really would be a way to guage.
    Unless you have a lot of horses eating on a round bale all at once they are going to waste 40% of it at least if they are allowed to get on it. The cover thing looks like a royal pain to get on? As they eat the hay and the bag gets empty what is to keep them from climbing in or on it, or even dragging it around? Looks dangerous to me. When I do put a round bale out( jan- feb here, if at all) I take wood pallets and ring the bale with those. I tie them tightly with bale twine and as the bale is eaten I take away a pallet to make it fuller and keep the sides stable( sides always touching). There will be waste if you get rain on the bale, because it will soak in at the bottom and get kind of yucky, but with snow it seems to be alright.

Quote Originally Posted by trubandloki View Post
    I have three that have access to their round bale only during the day. I use a Cinchchix small hole round bale net and I put it in a feeder that my Mr. Trub built.

http://i41.photobucket.com/albums/e2...17-1295410.jpg
    Very nice set up. Does he just shove the bale on it from the side or does the top come off to load a bale?

Quote Originally Posted by candyappy View Post
    Very nice set up. Does he just shove the bale on it from the side or does the top come off to load a bale?
    The top is permanent. One of the side panels comes off and the bale is put in that way.
    The combination of the hut and the net have cut way back on the the amount of waste.

Quote Originally Posted by trubandloki View Post
    The top is permanent. One of the side panels comes off and the bale is put in that way.
    The combination of the hut and the net have cut way back on the the amount of waste.
    Does Mr. Trubandloki happen to have a blueprint for this contraption? This setup is what I'm considering asking Mr.Leo to make once he gets his Christmas presents (shamelessly bought tools for him that will be used for making things for the barn....)

I've decided I want to use a net and either a hay hut (which Mr. Leo immediately had disgust for, "what will the neighbors think about that giant thing??") or a home-made creation like some other posters have listed. I decided I want mine covered. It gets pretty rainy here Feb-April

On a scale of 1-10 what degree of woodworking talent is required to make your own?
    Last edited by Leo86; Dec. 21, 2012 at 07:26 PM. Reason: grammer/not making one lick of sense
    ....Leo\'s Mom.....

We put out a round bale for our three and don't have problems. There is some waste, but nothing too horrible. Out round bale feeder is made of a large round metal water trough. Mr. Eponacelt cut holes in the bottom of it for drainage, and mounted it on some 4x4s. The bale sits nicely inside, stays off the ground, and keeps the worst of the disintegration of the bale from happening.

In cold weather, each bale lasts about 2 weeks. More if the weather is warmer and they nibble on grass.

I thought about round bales but I have nowhere to store them, and the moving them around is just as much work (for me) as feeding squares.

What I did was create hay racks that hold a square bale each, so I put hay out once a day (if no rain, you could put out enough hay for a few days). Almost no waste, and the design of the rack allows you to just toss the hay in (much much easier than the cinchchix nets, which I also have). Here's a picture:
    http://www.facebook.com/photo.php?fb...type=1&theater

My trainer designed these for her own barn, and I had some made for me (there is nothing like them commercially available).

1 members found this post helpful.

If the main problem is that you don't want to throw hay in the morning, can't you just throw the hay out at night so it's one less thing to do in the morning? I'm assuming they're in at night and out days.

Quote Originally Posted by OTTBcooper View Post
    Ditto! Love my round ring. OP - I have a large pony and a miniature horse, switched to round bales for the EXACT same reason you list. I was tired of having to throw hay before work in the morning. I set mine up under the roof of the run-in and it's been a godsend. It lasts nearly three weeks, both can eat out of it, and don't have to do a dang thing. Definitely get something to put it in - too much waste otherwise.
    Me too...I have the same type. I feed a round bale to my three TB's because I need to keep them in hay all the time, it keeps them pleasantly round and it's just easier for me. I go through one every week, and there is additional mess involved..but I just send the hoovers (QH and Draft cross easy keepers) in towards the end of the bale and they do a great job cleaning up.
    "You can't blame other people. You can't always say what happened wasn't my fault, and you know what? Even if you have an excuse, shut up. "Bruce Davidson Sr.

What they did for the pony, who is an easy keeper if ever there was one, was fence off the corner of the pasture with the round bale and only let him in a couple of hours a day.
    I've also been considering round bales as the two guys are mostly pastured, thanks for starting this thread and all of you for the useful photos and ideas.
    Courageous Weenie Eventer Wannabe
    Incredible Invisible

Quote Originally Posted by candyappy View Post
    Unless you have a lot of horses eating on a round bale all at once they are going to waste 40% of it at least if they are allowed to get on it. The cover thing looks like a royal pain to get on? As they eat the hay and the bag gets empty what is to keep them from climbing in or on it, or even dragging it around? Looks dangerous to me. When I do put a round bale out( jan- feb here, if at all) I take wood pallets and ring the bale with those. I tie them tightly with bale twine and as the bale is eaten I take away a pallet to make it fuller and keep the sides stable( sides always touching). There will be waste if you get rain on the bale, because it will soak in at the bottom and get kind of yucky, but with snow it seems to be alright.
    And here I thought I was the only one with a "ghetto" pallet round bale feeder. Works perfectly.

I have 4 horses eating off of my round bale, 2 are very dominant-types and 2 submissive mares. At first there's a lot of jostling around, but once they learn the hay isn't going anywhere, they settle down and eat together.

Liz