The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default AA’s invitation to Janet Foy & Axel Steiner

Please join us and let the AA’s know what you want to know. Ask us questions.

The Chronicle of the Horse is a major equestrian publication. The COTH Forums provide an important venue for discussion of timely equestrian topics. Some of us don’t “do” Facebook. (I personally don’t participate in Mr. Zuckerberg’s business model). So, please join us on this board and lets have a public discussion.

Per the mission statement of the The Adult Amateur Dressage Initiative
    https://www.facebook.com/TheAdultAma...sageInitiative
    "This page is for the advancement of the Adult Amateur Dressage Rider. Our AIM is to attract USDF and USEF members to this site in order to discuss and develop ideas that we will present, as a united front, to our national organizations to implement FOR US! We are working for greater recognition in the programing for, and funding of, the Ad
    ult Amateur Dressage Riders in the USA by the USDF and the USEF. We are lobbying our national organizations for parity in educational programs, funds, grants, transitional classes to rise through USDF and FEI levels, equal access to elite clinics, equal representation as riders in said clinics, and, consequently, in the recognized competitions. As the majority members, and the absolute, ECONOMIC BASE of these oganizations, we are committed to bettering the education, the riding, the training, the competition opportunities, and the overall quality of the American Adult Amateur Dressage Community. We are open to any Adult Amateur Rider, any Professional, Judge, or Licensed Official interested in supporting our Goals."
    And for those who want "real names".....mine's Ana Diaz
    Do not confuse motion and progress. A rocking horse keeps moving but does not make any progress.
    Alfred A. Montapert

1 members found this post helpful.

I'm with you! I'm not a facebook kinda-gal, either.
    Proud member of the Colbert Dressage Nation

Who needs facebook? I have COTH.

I don't know that it's appropriate to take the mission statement from a budding organization which is trying too coordinate and pretend it is your own, and that you are running it from the COTH forums.

Ultimately the AADI goal is to have a non-facebook web page as well. However, you post here as if you represent the AADI which seems somewhat inappropriate.
    My horse is a dressage diva so I don't have to be.

Quote Originally Posted by katarine
    If you have a fat gay horse that likes Parelli, you're really screwed

Hope you posted such an invite on the AADI FB page - so they KNOW about it!

Personally, I think FB is an awful way to handle the discussion - it is hard to follow, and to make it more confusing, they have TWO different FB pages with identical names. But at least they are trying.

They appointed a steering committee - but not sure how those people were selected. Some are AAs, some are not. I actually did ask the Q (how they were selected), but FB is so hard to track discussions, I'm not even sure if that Q was answered.

Sure COTH has its discusssions, but it isn't the only BB, so not sure how to reach out to AADI in a reasonable way.

Anyway, if you don't reach out to them on their page, you can't blame them for not knowing about our discussions.

Um, maybe I read pluvinel's OP wrong, but I think she was saying TO the AADI, please come here and tell us what you want to know - there are a lot of us on COTH and we're happy to give you input. I don't think she meant to imply that she represented the AADI.
    In order to think outside the box, one must first know what is in the box.

3 members found this post helpful.

Quote Originally Posted by MysticOakRanch View Post
    They appointed a steering committee - but not sure how those people were selected. Some are AAs, some are not. I actually did ask the Q (how they were selected), but FB is so hard to track discussions, I'm not even sure if that Q was answered.
    There was no appointing. Leslie gave a period of time for folks to volunteer by region and it was open to all.

There has to be some starting point, so that was it. It did happen *after* the AADI post on this page pointing folks to it to try to get more folks to know and feel free to volunteer for it.

Quote Originally Posted by Kadenz View Post
    Um, maybe I read pluvinel's OP wrong, but I think she was saying TO the AADI, please come here and tell us what you want to know - there are a lot of us on COTH and we're happy to give you input. I don't think she meant to imply that she represented the AADI.
    The invite was to Janet and Axel to come post here, and said "per the mission statement" as if this were part of the AADI. I have no problem with folks giving input wherever, but this thread does not represent the AADI, and to me the OP makes it sound as if it does.

netg - for what it's worth - I read the OP's post the way Kadenz did.
    www.ayliprod.com
    Equine Photography in the Northeast

Finally...back in civilization, more or less

Quote Originally Posted by netg View Post
    The invite was to Janet and Axel to come post here, and said "per the mission statement" as if this were part of the AADI. I have no problem with folks giving input wherever, but this thread does not represent the AADI, and to me the OP makes it sound as if it does.
    I think that if the AADI is to succeed, they would do well to encourage input on forums like COTH in addition to the FB outreach and try to be as welcoming as possible. Snapping about who can or cannot represent the AADI is not welcoming and inclusive IMO. I read the OP as kadenz and cc did, and think you responded harshly to pluvinel - who seems to be trying to help the AADI gather more input. A lot of people don't participate on FB.
    We move pretty fast for some rabid garden snails.
    -PaulaEdwina

2 members found this post helpful.

One thing that I am interested in.....trying to include non-competing AAs.

So if this fits you, what can the USDF do for you?

IMHO, I don't think the AADI is ready to be soliciting input from anyone. The stuff being handled on facebook now is organizational in nature- i.e. should there be a temporary board for 6 months, should it have reps from each region, who will do the leg work, etc. Once there is some structure in place and some people in charge, there may actually be someone to reach out to.

Quote Originally Posted by joiedevie99 View Post
    IMHO, I don't think the AADI is ready to be soliciting input from anyone. The stuff being handled on facebook now is organizational in nature- i.e. should there be a temporary board for 6 months, should it have reps from each region, who will do the leg work, etc. Once there is some structure in place and some people in charge, there may actually be someone to reach out to.
    Agreed.

I apologize if in any way I seemed unwelcoming. In fact, you are ALL welcome to join the group on facebook. Facebook is free to join, and every single person who has wanted to join has been welcome in the group. Pluvinel is not a member of the group, and I think a thread inviting Janet and Axel here is totally legit if she wants to do so, however I think taking the mission statement of a group and posting it here without explanation that it's just taken from another group, and not her mission statement, is misleading. Again- Pluvinel is totally welcome to join, too - anyone is.

Representing a group you aren't a part of as if you were, however, is a problem, regardless of the group. That's all. Just a rewording would be enough, even. I get not liking facebook, and would be fine if the OP were edited to say that she's interested in the same things as the group (give mission statement, state it's their's and she's not a representative) and ask for discussion related to the same topics.

There is already an AADI thread asking for input for folks to go to the AADI already, though, elsewhere on this board.

Representing a group you aren't a part of as if you were, however, is a problem, regardless of the group. That's all. Just a rewording would be enough, even. I get not liking facebook, and would be fine if the OP were edited to say that she's interested in the same things as the group (give mission statement, state it's their's and she's not a representative) and ask for discussion related to the same topics.

There is already an AADI thread asking for input for folks to go to the AADI already, though, elsewhere on this board.
    Sigh....To paraphrase what someone once said, "You believe you understand what you think I said, but I'm not sure you realize that what you heard is not what I meant."

I'm not "representing" anything. I actually support the FB group....and have said so many times in the other thread and encourage them to take up the mantle. Some of us have given substantial effort and tried to engage the USDF before to no avail. I cheer on the AADI.

I was actually not specifically soliciting input from AA's in this thread. My interest was to understand what questions Ms. Foy and Mr Steiner have. To have them share their thoughts here. What questions are perplexing them? Why form this group? I was hoping that they would speak up and engage in a dialog. I'm sure that a lot of people would be interested to hear their thoughts. Unfortunately the tone this thread has taken makes that a very slim possibility.

Lobbing anonymous accusations does not help further openness in dialog. I've shared my name. Perhaps you would like to introduce yourself.

As far as posting in FB, some people don't or won't do FB. If the AADI is to be group representative of AA's it has to be open to look for AA's wherever they may be. And there are a lot here on COTH.

If Ms Foy & Mr. Steiner are reading, sharing their thoughts about why this group was formed and what they want would be interesting to a lot of AA's
    Do not confuse motion and progress. A rocking horse keeps moving but does not make any progress.
    Alfred A. Montapert

2 members found this post helpful.

netg, are you on the steering committee? I asked the question because I (and several others) did volunteer on FB, and were not included so there was much more then just opening it up to anyone who is interested. Although after seeing how communication works on a group like that through FB (not all that well or efficiently), I'm kind of glad to sit back and see how it plays out.

They apparently had their first "on line forum" the other day, and didn't even communicate to the steering committee, so several missed out - again, I think a function of using FB as a forum, when it doesn't really operate that way.

If you don't have time to wade through a lot of posts on TWO different pages with the same name, you can't really tell what is going on with AADI. Maybe it is just me, but I don't find FB an easy way to keep up with the direction of the group. But it is free, and is a way to get the word out, I guess.

I think, if they really want input, they should come visit forums such as COTH, UDBB, and others (Horse Grooming Supplies is pretty active too, isn't it?) where there are many AAs as well. I think Pluvinel's idea is a good one - maybe not delivered as well as it might be, but I think she's got the right idea, asking the group to reach out beyond FB - and COTH has a pretty big population of AA riders and owners. There are also many AAs who aren't on the internet much - so perhaps reaching out to GMOs is another good idea? If they do want feedback from the AAs...

4 members found this post helpful.

btw the organization might look into online tools such as this:

http://www.wecollaborize.com/workplace.html

that would make this effort much easier rather than using FB

Quote Originally Posted by dudleyc View Post
    One thing that I am interested in.....trying to include non-competing AAs.

So if this fits you, what can the USDF do for you?
    I watched a previously record episode of Dressage Connection on RFD TV last night. It mentioned a DVD series "American Training program" or similar, available on USDF.org/sales. Nope, not there
    I wasn't always a Smurf
    Penmerryl's Sophie RIDSH
    "I ain't as good as I once was but I'm as good once as I ever was"
    The ignore list is my friend. It takes 2 to argue.

Oh! I see where the problem is. You're actually the one confused.... I didn't think you were asking for input from AA's at all, that was the other posters who thought I was attacking you when I was trying to clarify one part of your post I had an issue with. Neither Janet nor Axel had anything to do with the creation of the group, they merely expressed interests in our thoughts and encouraged us to create a group. So you were posting it thinking *they* wrote the mission statement where I thought you were in some way trying to take credit/act as if you were representing it - Janet and Axel have nothing to do with AADI other than they are reading what we say there. Sorry I misunderstood your intent and where the confusion was.

MysticOakRanch - if you responded on time in the thread about Steering Committee you should have been added to it. Maybe let Leslie know if you did and didn't make her list of members - she did have some folks whose regions she didn't know.

The only reason I'm not typing my name here is due to google search/spam bots, but my username is close enough to my real name that if you're looking at the group you should be able to see who I am when I post.

MBM - I'll check that out, thanks! Facebook is most definitely NOT the ultimate answer, and I don't think that anyone wants it to be the final answer. Right now as things are getting started it was the quickest, fastest way to start a page - but the intent is to have a web page/forums in a more readable manner.

ETA: I feel that if you want to know what some other group thinks, you need to make the effort to ask that group. Janet asked on a group called Dressage for Adult Amateurs on facebook (another one you can feel free to join if you want, whether Amateur or not, and not only for US amateurs.) AADI spun off from that, with folks trying to get the word out beyond the group so it was more widely representative. I believe that once the "other side" has made an effort to hear you, you should make an effort to gather your thoughts and respond. Facebook is the medium being used to start merely because that's where Janet sought input, NOT because anyone thinks it's the long-term answer. AADI is most definitely only in the "gather your thoughts" phase right now.

Quote Originally Posted by pluvinel View Post
    Sigh....To paraphrase what someone once said, "You believe you understand what you think I said, but I'm not sure you realize that what you heard is not what I meant."

I'm not "representing" anything. I actually support the FB group....and have said so many times in the other thread and encourage them to take up the mantle. Some of us have given substantial effort and tried to engage the USDF before to no avail. I cheer on the AADI.

I was actually not specifically soliciting input from AA's in this thread. My interest was to understand what questions Ms. Foy and Mr Steiner have. To have them share their thoughts here. What questions are perplexing them? Why form this group? I was hoping that they would speak up and engage in a dialog. I'm sure that a lot of people would be interested to hear their thoughts. Unfortunately the tone this thread has taken makes that a very slim possibility.

Lobbing anonymous accusations does not help further openness in dialog. I've shared my name. Perhaps you would like to introduce yourself.

As far as posting in FB, some people don't or won't do FB. If the AADI is to be group representative of AA's it has to be open to look for AA's wherever they may be. And there are a lot here on COTH.

If Ms Foy & Mr. Steiner are reading, sharing their thoughts about why this group was formed and what they want would be interesting to a lot of AA's
    Last edited by netg; Dec. 19, 2012 at 09:51 AM.

MysticOakRanch - if you responded on time in the thread about Steering Committee you should have been added to it. Maybe let Leslie know if you did and didn't make her list of members - she did have some folks whose regions she didn't know.
    I'm pretty sure I responded in time - although I think it was a pretty short window - another bit of a flaw, if you want people involved, give people time to get involved. But, to be honest, until they change to a more efficient system, I don't feel I could be as involved as necessary - it is too hard to try to follow what is going on using the FB forum. Maybe I'm the only one in the world who finds the FB Timeline process convulated and hard to follow. I did make a suggestion early on that having two pages was confusing - how do we know which page to follow (and who has time to wade around both of them)?

I really think, if this is a genuine effort to reach out, they have to REACH OUT, and I think this is Pluvinel's point as well. And realize there is a vast pool of AAs who don't do FB, but would be happy to help out if this inititative has any hopes of improving their dressage experience.

Dear ALL,
    Less than two weeks ago a small group of USEF Dressage Committee members decided to form a sub-committee with the loosely stated purpose of listening specifically to the needs and desires of AA's around the country. I am sure that none of us could have predicted the response from the AA community. It is obvious that there is a need for our little committee. We want to respond to collective idea/needs/wishes from around the country. We can then forward those ideas, etc., to the full Dressage Committee, and then on to the USEF leadership. We do not want to respond to individual grievances - sorry. I am personally very impressed with the prompt actions taken by "the FB group". They are definitely on the right track and I would hope that this group can somehow find a way to work together with them. I have read all 132 posts on "Calling All AA's" and am happy to see that many of you are making very positive contributions for the benefit of all. 'Poltroon' and 'MLD' seem to understand the bigger picture and thank you to 'mjhco'. I was a little disappointed about comments made by 'J-Lu' (please be aware that I have no idea who all of you are). A vaguely remember a conversation with somebody offering me tons of analytical tools to do wonders with. At the time I was already on information overload, so I asked her to email me with the information. Nothing to date. She accused me of "disinterest". Far from it -- I am very interested in the overall health and well being of our sport in this country! Our sport can only be healthy and growing if ALL parts are healthy and prospering. YOU, the general AA community are the core of our sport. Just like for riders, without core strength there is no quality performance. You get my drift. I do suggest to this group, as I have to the FB group, that you establish "who you are". Are you are pure AA's as defined in USEF General Reg 1306/1307, or are you a "quasi professional" (my term)? The differentiation is important as each group has some different needs. I am sure that I speak for all our committee members when I say that we are looking forward to hearing from you about to the most important issues facing you. Yes, we are a USEF committee, but we are also well connected to USDF. So you can be assured that your USDF concerns will also be listen to and forwarded to USDF management. I hope I was able to help clarify the current situation. I wish ALL of you HAPPY HOLIDAYS!

4 members found this post helpful.