The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234

Thanks for the links False Impression, especially the video. Funny!
    I agree with Debbouze that I don't see why people are so up in arms about it. As I said before Depardieu isn't the first one to do this, and won't be the last - even Yannick Noah admitted he moved to Switzerland in 91-94 to "save money" (HA!) then moved back to France. It is their decision, really.
    But as many (Gad Elmaleh, Debbouze, Sardou...) have said in the video, if the people who can (and largely) afford it, don't contribute to society, who will?
    Ottbs - The finish line is only the beginning!

Quote Originally Posted by FalseImpression View Post
    I just read an article that explained that he may have paid a total of 85% in taxes, but it is not on his annual income. You are right it is partly the ISF and the experts figured he included the payments he has to make for his various companies and employees. So he may not be saying the exact truth...
    http://www.lefigaro.fr/impots/2012/1...85-en-2012.php

From the clip I just saw, many actors/sports figures, etc. do not agree with his decision. Lelouch for example feels that he made his money in France, so he should pay his taxes there. Others feel that it is their duty to help the "sinking ship" by contributing to the social programs through their taxes.
    http://www.lefigaro.fr/impots/2012/1...gwTSBvl4w_4Lhd
    I am sure that a lot of them are being sincere in their patriotism, but I do think you have to take their comments in the context of their public image, or preservation of their public image. It would be culturally unpopular to pronounce oneself Depardieu's side, to 'the masses', for someone in the spotlight. That being said, it also depends on who you choose to interview. I saw an interesting public debate on TV where there were public figures on both sides. And I can tell you that just because you see flag-waving celebrities (whose public image is key) coming down against him in a clip orchestrated by Le Figaro, there ARE people very much behind and understanding of his decision. Maybe it is because I work in the world of finance, but support for his decision is pretty much all I've come across in my daily life. Other than on TV etc, of course.

1 members found this post helpful.

But that's what is interesting to me, is that it's from Le Figaro, a paper that's certainly not in Hollande's camp...
    Ottbs - The finish line is only the beginning!

Quote Originally Posted by sophie View Post
    Thanks for the links False Impression, especially the video. Funny!
    I agree with Debbouze that I don't see why people are so up in arms about it. As I said before Depardieu isn't the first one to do this, and won't be the last - even Yannick Noah admitted he moved to Switzerland in 91-94 to "save money" (HA!) then moved back to France. It is their decision, really.
    But as many (Gad Elmaleh, Debbouze, Sardou...) have said in the video, if the people who can (and largely) afford it, don't contribute to society, who will?
    Well, as it is apples to oranges...

But to look into the Swedish model during the cold war. They tried something different, securing every person in the nation with a nearly complete social safety net, while avoiding the pitfalls of communism.

Then it fell apart.

because people do not like to work when in the end of the day they get a small fraction of their earnings.
    yes, it does help out the nation, but not their own bottom line. Sweden had on average the largest number of sick days vs other western countries.
    As I said, the tax rate was close to 90% back then!

In the US the top tax bracket caps out somewhere around 35-38%, plus loopholes!

Now, with the messed up system as it is, my tax rate is around 18%. Not bad, right?
    I suppose, but not much of social justice when you hear that somebody like Mitt Romney pays about 14%. And that does not include the tax free income he has.
    Quote Originally Posted by Mozart View Post
    Personally, I think the moderate use of shock collars in training humans should be allowed.

It seems that the LVMH guy who moved to Belgium... well, he is not getting his papers as quickly as he thought he would. Belgian authorities are checking his background and do not want to be the companies mail box addresses... So, we will see how it turns out.
    I have always been amazed at how hypocritical some of the left side were because they are not poor... ie DSK. Had he been elected, I doubt very much he would have taken such measures. Now separated from his wife, he is not the rich pr**k any longer, but SHE has moved to the States and probably taken her money with her!!
    I feel if Depardieu was sincere... well, he would not move just 1km from the border, he would take Putin's offer of an immediate Russian passport!!!

Quote Originally Posted by Alagirl View Post

In the US the top tax bracket caps out somewhere around 35-38%, plus loopholes!

humm, that would have been Federal tax rates, then you start adding in State, City, County and any local taxing authority and you can jump over 50% pretty rapidly heading toward 60%

2 members found this post helpful.

Quote Originally Posted by clanter View Post
    humm, that would have been Federal tax rates, then you start adding in State, City, County and any local taxing authority and you can jump over 50% pretty rapidly heading toward 60%
    still a far cry from 85.
    Quote Originally Posted by Mozart View Post
    Personally, I think the moderate use of shock collars in training humans should be allowed.

Quote Originally Posted by Alagirl View Post
    still a far cry from 85.
    so what amount of taxation is just right?

Wouldn't be so bad to pay it if they weren't spending it on stupid stuff, esp themselves.

So it seems that François Hollande lost there...
    http://www.thestar.com/news/world/ar...ng-it-s-unfair

kathy s. is offline Grand Prix Premium Member
    Original Poster

Quote Originally Posted by pal-o-mino View Post
    Wouldn't be so bad to pay it if they weren't spending it on stupid stuff, esp themselves.
    Yeah, like the rest of us God forbid they work to have the chance to relax and live a good life, right? Geezz...
    "How does it feel to be one of the beautiful people?" Julian Lennon

1 members found this post helpful.