The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default Biology Major, But I'm Horrible at Math

I just finished a semester at school. I got an A in history and a D in algebra My major is biology and I see a long road of math classes that I will have to struggle through.
    I currently work in a lab and want to get my CLS lisence. To do this I first need a BA in bio.
    After this last semester I am considering changing my major to information systems or buisness admin. I have worked in the medical field for 18 years and both of these majors are in demand where I work. However I am more likely to be promoted within the lab since I have been here for awhile.
    Needing some wisdom and encouragement from my fellow COTHers.
    Dawn

Patience and Consistency are Your Friends

Hollowed out volcano in the South Pacific.

IS and Bus majors are a dime a dozen. Stick with your current plan and hammer home some math skills using educational computer programs or math texts from the local bookstore.
    Thus do we growl that our big toes have, at this moment, been thrown up from below!

2 members found this post helpful.

Hang in there.

I have used my bio major to teach. It's been very nice.
    A good horseman doesn't have to tell anyone...the horse already knows.

Might be a reason, never an excuse...

Do you hate math or are you just bad at it? Because if the problem is just that you're bad at it, you can get better. But if the problem is that you hate it, then there's no point in torturing yourself by putting in the effort to get better at it.

I went back to grad school almost 10 years after I got my BS. I liked math just fine, but my skills were very rusty. So, I went back and did some remedial work on my own (algebra review workbooks and such) and also took a math review class offered at night through the university's adult education program. I then had no problem getting A's (mostly) and B's in all the math and stats classes I had to take and no problem with the math that went along with my other courses.

The key to getting math is to figure out what qualitative relationships all the numbers and symbols are trying to express. When you can do that, math becomes powerful and elegant.

Signed,

Someone whose relationship with math was screwed up for a long time.
    The armchair saddler
    Politically Pro-Cat

4 members found this post helpful.

I find math fun when I'm getting the answers right
    Dawn

3 members found this post helpful.

Doesn't Business Administration also require math? (Accounting, Finance)

Improve your math skills and it will help you in many areas.

1 members found this post helpful.

I did the same thing...I was working in the lab and didn't take biology because of the math. I regret it. Business degrees are pretty much worthless in my opinion. I could have gotten my current job just as easily with a biology degree, and it would have given me much more flexibility.

I hate math and have no clue what MVP meant. However, I married a math major who gets it, and I never have to do it.

Try http://www.khanacademy.org/ for free help.
    There is no snooze button on a cat that wants breakfast.

5 members found this post helpful.

Quote Originally Posted by yaya View Post
    Doesn't Business Administration also require math? (Accounting, Finance)

Improve your math skills and it will help you in many areas.
    I can do accounting and finance all day long. Start talking quadratic equations, dividing roots and then physics down the road. Different kind of math that puts my brain in knots.
    Dawn

I feel your pain, and I do want to encourage you. Most universities provide tutors, and they're free. Maybe if you decide, okay, for ONE TERM I will take advantage of a tutor and absolutely rock a math class.

That way you know you have hell for the next 10 weeks or 15 weeks or whatever the semester is. You will also have a sense of accomplishment about your good grade, which may help to overcome the anti-math feelings, AND working with the tutor may clear up some basic stumbling blocks that will truly help you understand the concepts you're currently struggling with.

Good luck!

My major was bio too, and I was good at that but generally sucked at math (although not at stats, I seemed to "get" that).

I did fine once I admitted that I needed more help, and that I needed to study/practice at that more than for any other course. I had a tutor and I practiced and practiced and practiced, just doing problems over and over. It's just my weaker subject, I don't intuitively understand the relationship between the numbers and the symbols as mvp said, so I needed to chip away at it *shrug*

Didn't make me like math, but I got the grades I needed.

I have an MBA with a concentration in IT management...business/IT is not light on math either, it's just lower level math...ALGEBRA mostly, with a bit of calculus. I make good money doing what I do (Business Analysis and Program Management) and enjoy it. My undergrad degree was in Political Science, I took little math in college.

I think you'll be fine with either, but it's a bit early to give up on your dream, based on one course. Why do you think you got a "D" in Algebra? Did you not understand it? If that's the case, find a tutor who can explain it better than your teacher did. Did you not apply yourself fully? That's an easy fix .

You'd be surprised at how much math is involved in a business curriculum. Have you always had difficulty with math? I did all through my K-12 years and into undergrad, then happened to get a wonderful stats professor as a graduate student and realized that I was seriously math phobic. I just finished a multivariate stats course in a doctoral program and really enjoyed it. So much of the issue was the phobia, being convinced that I couldn't "do" math. Once I understood that and had a really good teacher who could explain the whys of math, it made all the difference.

Best of luck to you.

Thank you all so much! I needed all your encouraging words. I'm taking a deep breath and telling myself I can do this!
    Dawn

I am in a doctorate bio program. Doing the math for reagents etc (molarity, anyone?) is the least favorite part of everyones day but once you get it down, it's not so bad.

In my experience, math sucks until you get it. Then it's useful.
    Forward momentum!

Quote Originally Posted by rizzodm View Post
    I can do accounting and finance all day long. Start talking quadratic equations, dividing roots and then physics down the road. Different kind of math that puts my brain in knots.
    Yep. Accounting is ARITHMETIC. That's more or less easy. Calculus, trigonometry, etc. are mathematics, and that is something you either love or hate. And in some cases are so inept at the professor promises if you can manage a D- on the final. he'll pass you out of calc with a D so you can get gen-ed credit , provided you promise to not attempt any higher-level courses. (Okay, I might be especially unusual. But really, my poor prof tried. He basically had to give me the "for Dummies" version of every lecture over again, and I still never really got it. I do not grok mathematics. No problem with arithmetic, I even eked out a C+ in stats and physics, but high mathematics does not make sense in my brain.)

Bank of Dad, THANK YOU for that website.

I hated math and loved music. Once I discovered, like music, math is all about patterns, it all changed. Put math to music and it becomes entertainment, at least for me.

Kahn Academy. It's free, online and has fabulous explanations. You just have to be willing to spend the time...do you?

Sorry to say, IT and Business at most schools at least require Elem. Calculus. Get cracking on the math.
    Join the Clinton 2016 campaign...Hillary For America. https://www.hillaryclinton.com/