The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Default GastroMax 3?

Anyone have experiences with GastroMax3 vs. GastroGard / UlcerGard? Has the same amount of omeprazole per tube as the $$$$$ Merial product.

Here's some info on the product:
    GastroMax3 contains omeprazole, sodium acid carbonate and l-glutamine. These ingredients work in tandem to reduce and neutralize the acid in a horse's stomach. Each tube contains 4.25 grams total proprietary formula. Independent analysis has measured 2.28 grams omeprazole per tube.

Thanks!

Ive recently tried it for 30 days on a 2yo filly in training, about 5/8ths fit, and she actually backed out of the tub more...

Sodium acid carbonate? As in washing soda? I'm not going to say I'm standing on firm ground here because chemistry is not my strong suit, but if this is actually sodium carbonate and not sodium BIcarbonate, it's pretty darn caustic and not meant to be ingested. I'd really want to check that before giving it to any animal, crikey. Sodium bicarb is a perfectly good buffer and is often mixed with omeprazole. But sodium carbonate is an entirely different chemical.
    Click here before you buy.

Is the one that the barrel racing people make?

The Abler "abprazole" (aka blue pop rocks) also comes in a paste if that's what you are looking for.

Quote Originally Posted by Langfuhr View Post
    Ive recently tried it for 30 days on a 2yo filly in training, about 5/8ths fit, and she actually backed out of the tub more...
    Huh?
    "If you think nobody cares about you, try missing a couple payments..."

Not sure about that but my vet just suggested Platinum ulcer to start, then gastroguard if no response.

Quote Originally Posted by SuckerForHorses View Post
    Huh?
    "Backed out of the tub" is racetrack patois for "went off her feed".

2 members found this post helpful.

Thanks DW for the clarification! LOL!
    "If you think nobody cares about you, try missing a couple payments..."

Quote Originally Posted by ultimateshowmom View Post
    Not sure about that but my vet just suggested Platinum ulcer to start, then gastroguard if no response.
    At $88 for 30 servings? Holy expensive batman! It's just a glorified probiotic.

From the website:

"Platinum Gastric Support™ also contains Saccharomyces c. boulardii 1079, a daily probiotic, to support healthy digestion."

You know you can buy the S. boulardii capsules and dump them on the feed? Swanson has them, local health stores have them. Much cheaper.

Quote Originally Posted by deltawave View Post
    Sodium acid carbonate? As in washing soda? I'm not going to say I'm standing on firm ground here because chemistry is not my strong suit, but if this is actually sodium carbonate and not sodium BIcarbonate, it's pretty darn caustic and not meant to be ingested.
    Thanks, DW. I was concerned about the sodium acid carbonate as well.... chemistry is not my strong suit either.

Has anyone other than Langfuhr actually used the product?

Quote Originally Posted by deltawave View Post
    Sodium acid carbonate? As in washing soda? I'm not going to say I'm standing on firm ground here because chemistry is not my strong suit, but if this is actually sodium carbonate and not sodium BIcarbonate, it's pretty darn caustic and not meant to be ingested. I'd really want to check that before giving it to any animal, crikey. Sodium bicarb is a perfectly good buffer and is often mixed with omeprazole. But sodium carbonate is an entirely different chemical.
    Sodium acid carbonate and sodium bicarbonate are the same thing. Basically just synonyms.

http://pubchem.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/summ...892&loc=ec_rcs
    ^ There's actually 108 synonym's. This is giving me a flashback to Organic Chemistry ::shudder::
    Last edited by jlphilli; Dec. 18, 2012 at 02:21 PM. Reason: information
    Quote Originally Posted by rustbreeches View Post
    [George Morris] doesn't always drink beer, but when he does, he prefers Dos Equis

Thanks, as I said chemistry is not a strong suit.