The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default Share your favorite soup recipes??

I've been on a bit of a soup kick lately, last night was Chicken Tortilla, and it was pretty tasty however not as glorious as the chicken tortilla we had in Cancun...I can still taste the delishishness 5 years later....anyway hook me up with your fav soups!!

http://pinterest.com/pin/203436108139264183/
    I tried this one recently and thought it was quite good. Will make again.

Harvest Creamy Corn “Choup”
    Serves 4
    • 2 TB extra virgin olive oil
    • 4 slices chopped bacon
    • 1 onion chopped
    • 4-5 lg ears corn or 1 box frozen corn
    • 1 med or 2 small zucchini, chopped
    • 1 lb small potatoes, chopped
    • ½ red bell pepper, chopped
    • 1 bay leaf
    • 5-6 sprigs fresh thyme
    • 1 tsp paprika
    • 3 TB flour
    • 1 qt chicken stock
    • 1 c milk
    • 1 c heavy cream
    • ½ c flat leaf parsley, chopped
    • Hot sauce, salt and pepper to taste
    Note: Chop everything small-especially the bacon. Fresh parsley and thyme (as opposed to dried) really makes a difference.

Heat oil over med-high in large soup pot. Cook bacon in the pot and add in onion, corn, zucchini, potatoes, bell pepper, bay leaf, thyme and paprika. Cook 7-8 min. Sprinkle flour around pot, stir and cook 1 min, stir in stock and let it bubble and thicken. Add milk, cream and parsley. Simmer 5 min. Add salt, pepper, and hot sauce to taste.
    "Things turn out best for the people who make the best of the way things turn out." ~John Wooden

Phoenix Animal Rescue

This thread is also a great resource - http://www.chronofhorse.com/forum/sh...-When-You-Ride. Love that thread. Lots of amazing user friendly recipes!

I hate to cook. This is my favorite soup recipe:

1 can Progresso Chicken Cheese Enchilada soup
    1 can whole kernel corn
    1 to 2 cups cooked rice (depending on how "soupy" you like your soup)
    tortilla chips (optional)
    sour cream (optional)

Drain corn. Mix soup, corn, and rice together and heat.

If desired, put a dollop of sour cream on top of each bowl and sprinkle with crushed tortilla chips

Quinoa Chilli-SO easy and yummy. Copied from a friend's blog-the added comments in parentheses are hers

2 T. olive oil
    1 med. onion, chopped
    2 tsp. sea salt
    1 green bell pepper, chopped
    2 cloves garlic, minced
    1 lb ground beef or turkey if desired (I make it with turkey)
    *Saute the ingredients above until soft
    2 tsp. cumin
    1/8 tsp. cinnamon (I added way more)
    1/8 tsp. cayenne (I used chili powder and again... added more)
    *Add the spices and saute another minute
    2/3 C. quinoa
    1 C. corn
    1-2 C. tomato (sauce or diced- I did both)
    1 C. water
    2-3 C. beans (I used a can of black and a can of chili beans)
    1 tsp. oregano
    * Add the above ingredients and bring to a boil. Then reduce heat and simmer until quinoa expands... at least 20-30 minutes.
    the "I'm In My 20's and Hope to Be a Good Rider Someday" clique

Vegetable chowder:

2 c. shredded carrot
    1/3 c. green onion
    1 1/2 c. chopped celery
    2 T. butter
    Saute in large saucepan until tender.

Add:
    2 cans Cream of potato soup
    2 c. chicken broth
    1/2 can water

Simmer about 20 minutes. Remove from heat and add 2 c. shredded cheddar cheese and 1 can evaporated milk.

This recipe is one I found online that I tweaked a bit & made in my crock pot. Let it cook all day while we were hunting, then tossed the last few ingredients in when I got home. By the time we showered it was ready to go!

Easy Tortellini Soup

1/2 cup minced onion
    8 oz sliced mushrooms
    4 cups broth (I used beef because that's what I had in freezer)
    1 28-oz can of Italian Style diced tomatoes with garlic & basil, including liquid
    1 tsp Italian seasoning (or to taste)

Combine in crock pot and cook on low 4-6 hours. An hour before serving, turn crock pot to high and add:

1 pkg frozen tortellini (I used plain cheese)
    1 pkg frozen chopped spinach

Serve topped with shredded Parmesan cheese & some crusty bread to sop up the broth. Add a tossed (pre-made bagged) salad & it makes a great winter meal!
    Last edited by Mia412; Dec. 17, 2012 at 08:10 PM.
    ~ A true friend knows all there is to know about you and still likes you. -E. Hubbard

Brown Rice and Lentil Soup - easy because it is a throw everything in the pot and simmer type recipe.
    Hold to the side - about 1 c chopped fresh parsley, and 1-2 TBSP apple cider vinegar - stir those in just before serving.
    Put in a big soup pot -
    1 large onion (yellow, vidalia, or white), chopped
    3 stalks celery, chopped
    3-4 carrots, scrubbed, peeled if desired, chopped
    2-3 cloves garlic minced (more or less to taste)
    28 oz can diced tomatoes, including the liquid
    1 1/2 cups brown rice (raw/uncooked)
    1 cup brown lentils (raw/uncooked)
    1-2 tsp each, to taste dry basil, oregano, thyme, marjoram
    salt and pepper to taste
    4 cups broth (veg, chicken, or beef) AND 4-5 cups water, or all 8-9 cups broth
    Bring all to a boil, reduce heat, simmer gently, covered, stirring occasionally for about 50 minutes until rice and lentils tender. Stir in parsley and vinegar, serve.
    Optional tweaks - saute garlic in about 1 TBSP olive oil in the soup pot, then add rice, saute a bit (like w/ risotto), then add rest and proceed; or, stir in a few handfuls of chopped spinach at very end (good!). It's great with warm bread and leftovers freeze and reheat well.

Here's a good healthy one we really enjoy on cold days.

BACARDI1 PORTUGUESE KALE & TURKEY SAUSAGE SOUP

One medium onion, peeled & chopped
    One bunch (around a pound) of kale, de-ribbed & roughly sliced/chopped
    1-1/2 quarts or so of chicken stock (if not homemade, I usually use one carton + one can of Swanson's)
    Two medium potatoes, peeled & diced -OR- two cans of cannelini/white kidney beans, rinsed **
    One package (usually 12 to 16 ounces) turkey kielbasa sausage, sliced
    Extra Virgin Olive Oil
    Salt & Pepper to taste

In a large soup pot add enough olive oil to coat the bottom & saute onion until starting to soften, but not brown. Add sliced sausage & continue sauteeing until everything is just starting to brown a little. Add chicken stock & diced potatoes (if using) & simmer until potatoes are tender - about 15 minutes or so. Add kale & continue cooking until kale is tender. (** if using beans instead of potatoes, add chicken stock & bring to a simmer. Add kale & cook until tender; then add beans & stir gently until beans are just heated thru.) Add salt & freshly ground black pepper to taste & serve.

Into Asian soups? Here's another favorite. This one is particularly good for when you're feeling under the weather.

BACARDI1 HOT & SOUR SOUP

One boneless skinless chicken breast half
    6-8 fresh Shitake mushrooms (or 3-4 dried Chinese black mushrooms or dried shitake mushrooms)
    12 dried tiger-lily buds (aka “Golden Needles”)
    Approx. a tablespoon dried cloud ear mushrooms (aka “wood ear” mushrooms)
    1 stalk Bok Choy, trimmed & sliced
    1 cake fresh firm or extra-firm tofu
    1 egg
    5-6 cups chicken broth
    1 small can shredded bamboo shoots, drained
    ½ teaspoon sugar
    2 tablesoons soy sauce (Chinese Black or Mushroom Soy works well here, but regular works well too)
    Approx. 3 tablespoons white vinegar (or to taste)
    Approx. 1 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper (or to taste)
    2-1/2 tablespoons cornstarch, dissolved in 2 tablespoons of cold water
    1 tablespoon hot sesame oil or regular sesame oil with a dash of crushed red pepper flakes
    Chopped fresh scallions for garnish - optional

Cut the chicken into fine shreds/pieces.
    Soak mushrooms (if using dried), cloud ears, & tiger-lily buds in 1-2 cups of hot water for 20-30 minutes, changing hot water every 10 minutes or so. Drain & rinse well once softened. Remove & discard mushroom stems & julienne the mushrooms & cloud ears; & tie each tiger lily bud into a knot (for easier eating).
    Cut bean curd into cubes.
    Beat the egg thoroughly.

Heat broth in a pot large enough to hold all ingredients until boiling. Add chicken strips & mix a few times. Bring back to a low boil/simmer & add bean curd, bamboo shoots, mushrooms, cloud ears, lily buds & bok choy. Add sugar, soy sauce, vinegar, & black pepper. Simmer for 2-3 minutes & then add –first stirring to recombine – cornstarch/water mixture. Stir & then pour in beaten egg. Turn off heat & stir again, then sprinkle sesame oil on top & taste for seasoning, adding in additional vinegar &/or pepper to taste if necessary. Serve.

I make a similar kale and sausage soup, except I add a couple minced garlic cloves with the onion, about 1 tsp dried rosemary, and a dash of cayenne. Collards can be substituted for kale, ditto any smoked sausage for the kielbasa.
    ---------------------------

Another winter favorite:

Bacardi1 Creamy Cauliflower Soup with Kale & Smoked Turkey Sausage
    (Adapted from a recipe by Martha Stewart)

INGREDIENTS:
    Approx. 2 tablespoon extra-virgin olive oil
    1 medium onion, peeled & chopped
    4 cloves garlic, peeled & chopped
    1-1/2 quarts chicken broth
    Sea salt to taste
    1 medium or ½ a large head cauliflower, leafy stems included, cut into 1-inch dice
    ¼-1/2 cup chopped FRESH dill, plus more for garnish
    1 bunch of Kale, tough stems removed, roughly chopped
    1 pkg. Turkey “Lil Smokies” sausages (or turkey kielbasa), sliced into bite-size pieces
    Freshly ground black pepper to taste
    DIRECTIONS:
    Heat oil in a large pot over medium heat; cook onion until soft, but not browned. Add garlic and a pinch or one grind of salt, and cook for a couple of minutes more, but do NOT allow garlic to brown or – heaven forbid - burn. Add cauliflower pieces and chicken stock.
    Bring to a boil over high heat. Add approx. 2 tablespoons of the fresh dill. Reduce heat to low, and simmer until cauliflower is just tender. Stir in kale, and simmer until wilted & tender.
    Remove from heat & let sit for 5 minutes or so to cool slightly. Stir in remaining dill. Using a stick blender, roughly puree most of the cauliflower in the soup, leaving some of the cauliflower & greens chunky. Stir in some water if it seems too thick for your preference. Add in smoked sausage pieces, heat through, & season with salt and pepper to taste. Serve, garnished with additional chopped fresh dill.

We LOVE this one preceded by some nice homemade nachos. Makes a full meal.

Bacardi1 BLACK BEAN SOUP

1-pound dry black beans
    Several dollops of extra-virgin olive oil
    2 quarts chicken stock – homemade or purchased (I like Swanson’s & Progresso brands)
    1 smoked turkey drumstick or thigh, or turkey wing
    1 large yellow or white onion, peeled & roughly chopped
    1 large celery stalk, roughly chopped
    1 large carrot, scrubbed & roughly chopped
    3 cloves of garlic, peeled & roughly chopped
    Approx. ½ to ¾ cup chopped Italian flat-leaf parsley leaves
    Approx. ½ teaspoon ground cayenne pepper
    Approx. 1 teaspoon ground cumin
    2 bay leaves
    Approx. ½-3/4 cup dry sherry
    Hot sauce, sour cream, plain yogurt, chopped raw onion &/or scallion for table additions/garnish (optional)

Rinse & pick through beans to remove any possible debris, place in pot with water to cover by several inches, cover & leave to soak overnight. OR – use the “quick soak” method printed on the package. Drain beans, rinse, drain again & set aside.

In an 8-quart or larger pot, film the bottom with several dollops of extra-virgin olive oil & sauté onion, celery, & carrot until just starting to soften but not brown. Add garlic & sauté a minute or so more.

Add chicken stock, parsley, cayenne pepper, cumin, bay leaves, & beans. Stir gently. Add smoked turkey & bring to a boil. Reduce heat to a medium-low simmer, cover, & cook for 2 hours or until beans are tender, gently stirring occasionally.
    With a slotted spoon search for & remove bay leaves, turkey bones & skin & discard, leaving meat in soup. Add dry sherry. Then, with a pototo masher, gently mash some of the soup to slightly thicken it. Serve with table additions/garnishes on the side if desired. (Leftovers freeze well.)

And just one more. Gee - can you tell we LOVE soup???

Bacardi1 SMOKED TURKEY GREEN SPLIT-PEA SOUP

One 1-pound bag of dried split green peas
    Extra-Virgin olive oil
    1 large yellow onion, peeled & chopped
    3-4 cloves garlic, peeled & chopped
    2 stalks celery, chopped
    2 carrots, peeled & chopped
    1 smoked turkey thigh or drumstick**
    Two 32-ounce cartons chicken stock
    1-2 teaspoons lemon zest
    1 tablespoon fresh sage, chopped
    1 teaspoon ground cayenne pepper
    Salt & freshly-ground black pepper to taste
    Chopped parsley for garnish (optional)

Rinse the peas in a colander or strainer to remove dust, & sort through to remove any non-pea debris.

Heat a large heavy-bottomed soup pot over medium high heat. Add a few dollops of olive oil & add onion, garlic, celery & carrots. Saute until starting to soften, about 5 minutes. Add stock, smoked turkey thigh, & peas. Bring to a boil. Reduce the heat to simmer, and cook, partially covered, until peas are tender, 45 to 60 minutes. Remove turkey thigh/drumstick from pot and remove meat from the bone. Finely shred meat and put back into the pot. Stir in sage, lemon zest and cayenne and cook for another 5 minutes. Taste and adjust for seasoning with salt and freshly-ground black pepper.

Ladle into serving bowls, garnish with chopped parsley, if desired, and serve.

**Sometimes I’ll sub in a package of turkey kielbasa for the turkey thigh/drumstick. In that case, slice the kielbasa into bite-size pieces & just add it at the stage where you’d normally add the shredded turkey meat back into the pot. It doesn’t require or benefit from a long cooking period.

I have a Cuisinart Rice Cooker plus and it has the most wonderful *soup* setting on it. I love that it simmers without burning.

My favorite soup is Beef barley and starts with a Sunday pot roast. I braise it in the Cuisinart on the slow cooker setting. 2 cups beef broth, 2 cups Burgundy wine and one or two sliced onions.

I save the braising liquid rather than making gravy. After it has chilled, I pick off the grease and put the degreased braising liquid in the soup maker. I add a can of tomatoes, a cup or two of frozen mixed vegetables, a diced potato, barley and a bit of left over roast beef. Simmer for about 1 hour and you have great soup. I like the economy of two meals for the price of one.

I love butternut squash soup. I haven't tried out this recipe (no blender), but it sounds really good.

http://www.epicurious.com/recipes/fo...er-Cream-15657

I'll admit, for a quick meal I like to take the new Campbells canned butternut squash bisque, stir in some cinnamon and a dash of nutmeg while its heating, and serve it with a dollop of heavy cream.

My mom has a really great stew recipe from a friend of her fathers, I'll try and get it for you.

OMG Bacardi1 I'm literally salivating. I have a feeling I'd love to raid your recipe collection.

Quick question, I have no blender and while I wouldn't be opposed to buying one, it'd have to be <$50. Do the immersion (stick) blenders work well for stuff like butternut squash blending or should I get a regular one? Any recommendations?
    "Things turn out best for the people who make the best of the way things turn out." ~John Wooden

Phoenix Animal Rescue

My guess is that it would have to be a regular blender. Around here Walmart sells blenders for like $15, and fairly nice ones for $25, I just haven't gotten around to getting a new one. I know nice kitchen appliances are nice to have, but my little hand mixer that cost about $20 works perfectly, and I've never felt the need for a fancier ones. I've felt the same way about my blenders. My old blender was a cheapo that had been running forever (and still runs perfectly, but I broke the canister and cant get a replacement).

I usually make some version of Cream Of Leftovers - you'd be surprised how easy it is to make soup, really. Most things soup up with whatever needs eating in the fridge.

One favorite is Cream (not a cream soup, but the name is traditional to my family, so lump it!) of Leftover Chinese:

*Any and all non-deep fried leftover Chinese dishes (sweet and sour sauce is questionable, but it can work) We usually have a mix of spicy and non-spicy dishes, but eat any seafood right away as most of the time it gets rubbery when reheated. Any veg it was cooked in, though, adds to the dish.
    *Leftover rice, fried is just fine
    *Heck - throw in the chow mein, too
    *Canned chicken broth to desired soupness

Heat and eat.
    Don't tell me about what you can't do. That's boring. Show me what you can do. - Mom