The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Default Holiday cookie recipes that we can make in advance?

On a rainy, melancholy Sunday afternoon I'm going through my cookie recipes to find some that I can start baking now for family get togethers this holiday.

They need to hold out and be fresh until Boxing Day, when I have my big gathering here.

Do any of you have any tried and true recipes that I can start now, refrigerate/freeze, and still be great tasting on Boxing Day?

City of delusion in the state of total denial

Pfeffernusse- they are designed to be made well in advance because the flavor develops over time. Plenty of recipes online; use the spices of your choice.
    "I'm not always sarcastic. Sometimes I'm asleep."
    - Harry Dresden

Horse Isle 2: Legend of the Esrohs LifeCycle Breeding and competition MMORPG

These were in Bon Appetit a few years ago and everyone I make them for LOVES them. They freeze exceptionally well between layers of wax paper in tupperware. I've frozen for up to 3 weeks and still had them thaw out just great.

http://www.epicurious.com/recipes/fo...Cookies-362593
    If it were easy, everybody would do it.

Equi-Sport Services

You're actually kind of late for Springerle. Normally you are supposed to make them in November to give them a chance to soften up in time for Xmas. They need time to mature, like well aged wine or beef. Though you can cheat by putting a slice of apple in the container with them.
    http://www.kingarthurflour.com/recip...ingerle-recipe

I make Split Seconds and freeze.

As variations from the posted recipe, I use cherry jelly and drizzle the baked cookie with icing
    The more perfect our happiness,
    the more nagging and wretched
    do our unsolved problems seem.
    ~ Gordon Grand

Lebkuchen! One of my favorite memories from childhood.
    http://allrecipes.com/recipe/lebkuchen-vi/
    Originally Posted by Alagirl
    We just love to shame poor people...when in reality, we are all just peasants.

I make potato chip cookies that keep pretty well, even if they're just left in a cupboard for a week or two. They're like a shortbread cookie with nuts and they're easily the best cookies I've ever had. Super super simple to make, too. PM me if you want the recipe!

Oooo these all look good.

Faybe - I just whipped up a batch of the chocolate crunch cookies. Husband is patiently waiting to taste test them.

I think I'm going to try to do one recipe a night, so that I'll have 9-10 days of easy baking, and a great display on Boxing Day,

Thanks!

2 members found this post helpful.

mercedespony, after I posted that I was inspired to make them myself- they're about to go in the oven. Hope you like them!
    If it were easy, everybody would do it.

Equi-Sport Services

We have a family recipe called Ice Box cookies. They are a spice cookie - not super sweet. I almost always have some in the freezer. If I get unexpected company, I can slice some off, pop them in the oven and have fresh cookies to serve.

If I miss the cut off for OTD, I'll PM you the recipe.
    http://www.tbhsa.com/index.html

Originally Posted by JSwan
    I love feral children. They taste like chicken.

Faybe - they passed the taste test, according to dh, who had them for breakfast this morning
    MGP - please pm!

1 members found this post helpful.

Quote Originally Posted by billiebob View Post
    I make potato chip cookies that keep pretty well, even if they're just left in a cupboard for a week or two. They're like a shortbread cookie with nuts and they're easily the best cookies I've ever had. Super super simple to make, too. PM me if you want the recipe!
    I just love potato chip cookies - the best way to use up stale chips. Quick and easy!

1 members found this post helpful.

I made these tonight:

http://www.foodnetwork.com/recipes/t...ipe/index.html

I rate it 4 /out of 5 (I'm eating one right now), but the cookies are wayyyy too big for a Christmas cookie tray - I'd cut them down to 1 tbsp dough, and cut the cooking time off by 2 or 3 mins.

Can someone pm this potato chip recipe please??

You would have to buy a cookie press, but traditional spritz cookies store well. I like them because they are a consistent size and self space using the cookie press. Also, you don't chill the dough.

Betty Crocker Cooky Book recipes are tsty and easy (yes, it is spelled like that!). Both their gingerbread and sugar cookies stay well.

Its not nowhere, but you can see it from here

The girl scout thin mint recipe that uses a box of chocolate cake mix. I use a very small spice jar lid and it makes like 200 cookies and the chocolate coating keeps them very fresh. At Christmas I crush up candy canes and sprinkle the tops before the chocolate sets
    From AliCat518 "Seriously, why would you NOT put fried chicken in your purse?!"

Shortbread is easy and freezes well. I also have a chocolate oatmeal cookie recipe that freezes well too, if you're interested.