The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

What a truly lovely tribute.

I am so very sorry. What a wonderful tribute to a special child. Gone too soon. RIP.
    ~Veronica
    "The Son Dee Times" "Sustained" "Somerset" "Franklin Square"
    http://photobucket.com/albums/y192/vxf111/

This may sound 'dumb', but I put my beloved, heart pony Chico down a couple years back and he just absolutely adored and loved the little girls. You know the ones that would scramble on a ponies back and bounce all over. He just loved them. He would take care of them like it was one of his own. His bright chestnut coat was almost as radiant as Catherine's beautiful red hair. I'll send a prayer up to my old man and ask him to go comfort her, and take her for a special ride. God speed Catherine, and rest in peace
    Last edited by Miss J; Dec. 17, 2012 at 08:22 PM. Reason: Asteric typo's

23 members found this post helpful.

Beautiful words to a beautiful old soul

1 members found this post helpful.

There are no words. I am just so, so sorry and sad for everyone involved. I just can't help but wonder what this world is coming to - such a waste.
    "I am still under the impression that there is nothing alive quite so beautiful as a thoroughbred horse." -- John Galsworthy

I'm so sorry "LuckyDuck"... Rest in Peace sweet Catherine...
    Many hugs to you and her parents...

So much senseless tragedy. This is a lovely tribute...So sorry it is necessary!! I grew up about 15 miles from there and still have connections to the area. Our family has friends who lost lovely, innocent children. RIP little ones.
    www.crosscreeksporthorses.com
    Breeders of Painted Thoroughbreds and Uniquely Painted Irish Sport Horses in Northeast Oklahoma

I have no words, LuckyDuck. Catherine has been one that really stood out to me while watching the news and hearing their stories, even before I knew she was a student of yours. It wasn't just the gorgeous mop of hair. There was something about her that struck me.

I'm so sorry. What a huge loss for her family, and for you.
    "Aye God, Woodrow..."

There are no words to express what's in my heart after this senseless tragedy and yet I feel compelled to respond somehow.

What beautiful photos of Catherine that give us a sense of who she was.

Quote Originally Posted by Liberty View Post
    Deepest condolences to LuckyDuck and Catherine's family and friends.

Coincidentally, this came over my Facebook newsfeed about Catherine:
    http://www.facebook.com/#!/photo.php...type=1&theater

For non-Facebookers, here is the text:

"Coalition for Shelter Pets With No Time

This is Catherine Hubbard, 6 years old--one of the children who lost their lives Friday in Newtown, CT. Catherine's family said she was an animal lover and that she wanted to open an animal shelter when she grew up.

The family has requested that anyone wishing to express condolences donate to the LOCAL animal shelter--that Catherine would have wanted that. What an expression of love for Newtown...from a sweet angel with a huge heart! I was moved by this and wanted to share the info.
    Please share this..wouldn't it be awesome if something big happened in her honor?
    http://www.theanimalcenter.org/donate.htm#memorial
    You can donate online (scroll down to the Memorial Donation button on the donation page) via the link or if you would rather mail a donation, the address is:

The Animal Center, Inc.
    PO Box 475
    Newtown, CT 06470

Let's make this little angel proud! Thanks!"

So, please, those of you who would like to donate in sweet Catherine's honor, choose either a local animal shelter or donate directly to The Animal Center at the link above.
    I clicked on the link and was about to make a "memorial donation" when I happened to scroll up/down the page. If you scroll to the top of the page there's a link for the Catherine Violet Hubbard Memorial Donations. The paragraph states, "She will be remembered for her passion of animals and constant smile."

I donated, it was easy and I did it for what Catherine thought was important. It's the first thing I've done on my way to 26 acts of kindness that I read about on NBCnews.com. I would encourage others to do something special as well.

4 members found this post helpful.

I can't even think of what to say here, this is just such an emotional and touching tribute to a young girl. Thank you for sharing this with us.
    I like mares. They remind me of myself: stubborn know-it-alls who only acknowledge you if you have food.
    Titania: 50% horse, 50% hippo
    Unforgetable: torn between jumping and nap time, bad speller

I am honored to donate to a cause she cared about.

Oh, LuckyDuck, my heart bleeds.. for all the children (and for the school employees) and all who knew and loved them.

Best wishes and condolences from Colorado, to all of you.

My most heartfelt condolences LuckyDuck.
    Miss J, I had exactly the same thought about my old pony. My DD was 6 when he passed. He loves little girls and I told the old man to be good for his new rider.
    Quote Originally Posted by The Saddle View Post
    Perhaps I need my flocking adjusted.

Thanks Liberty - I added the link in the first post. Lets keep this thread bumped up, so we can continue to show our support to Catherine's friends and family.

Quote Originally Posted by Liberty View Post
    Deepest condolences to LuckyDuck and Catherine's family and friends.

Coincidentally, this came over my Facebook newsfeed about Catherine:
    http://www.facebook.com/#!/photo.php...type=1&theater

For non-Facebookers, here is the text:

"Coalition for Shelter Pets With No Time

This is Catherine Hubbard, 6 years old--one of the children who lost their lives Friday in Newtown, CT. Catherine's family said she was an animal lover and that she wanted to open an animal shelter when she grew up.

The family has requested that anyone wishing to express condolences donate to the LOCAL animal shelter--that Catherine would have wanted that. What an expression of love for Newtown...from a sweet angel with a huge heart! I was moved by this and wanted to share the info.
    Please share this..wouldn't it be awesome if something big happened in her honor?
    http://www.theanimalcenter.org/donate.htm#memorial
    You can donate online (scroll down to the Memorial Donation button on the donation page) via the link or if you would rather mail a donation, the address is:

The Animal Center, Inc.
    PO Box 475
    Newtown, CT 06470

Let's make this little angel proud! Thanks!"

So, please, those of you who would like to donate in sweet Catherine's honor, choose either a local animal shelter or donate directly to The Animal Center at the link above.

This is such a horrible tragedy, and my heart aches for all the families who lost a loved one. LuckyDuck, that was a very moving tribute to a beautiful little girl. And thanks OP and Liberty for the donation link...what a great way to honor her memory.

Quote Originally Posted by Miss J View Post
    This may sound 'dumb', but I put my beloved, heart pony Chico down a couple years back and he just absolutely adored and loved the little girls. You know the ones that would scramble on a ponies back and bounce all over. He just loved them. He would take care of them like it was one of his own. His bright chestnut coat was almost as radiant as Catherine's beautiful red hair. I'll send a prayer up to my old man and ask him to go comfort her, and take her for a special ride. God speed Catherine, and rest in peace
    Bless you for sending him her way. Kick on, Catherine
    HaHA! Made-est Thou Look!

2 members found this post helpful.

you have my deepest condolences....

I just dont know what to say anymore. this thing has broken me.....

Catherine's mother was one of my college classmates. It is so heartbreaking.

I too have a beautiful pony that is waiting over the bridge for me. She loved kids and I like to believe she is welcoming children like Catherine and carrying them gently on her back until the time I join her.

4 members found this post helpful.

How heartbreaking. Love to you, LuckyDuck.
    "A horse gallops with his lungs, perseveres with his heart, and wins with his character." - Tesio