The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default A sad day in the Hunter community ..

Glenhill Farm posted on FB this morning,

Glenhill Farm

With everything that has happened recently, I have come to the decision that it is time to retire from breeding. 2013 will be the final Glenhill Farm foal crop. My older broodmares will retire with me. Maybe we can learn to golf together!
    I am going to focus on getting my young horses out in the show ring.
    I know that breeding program will be missed and still admired for years to come, however I completely understand and respect wanting to get the youngsters into the show ring a little more!

1 members found this post helpful.

Some great threads from thanks to those Glenhill farm mares...

For those not in the know, what has happened? I hope everything is OK.

Riding the babies is very rewarding. Enjoy

Genevieve is a class act and the hunter breeding world will a smaller place without her.

2 members found this post helpful.

I think Gen will answer the "what happened" question in her own time. No others who are aware should...it's not their place.

Glenhill's decision to retire from breeding is heartbreaking for the U.S. hunter breeding community, but I think this decision also provides for a new adventure for the farm. We can't forget that!

Bless you, G. You are a gift to our sport.
    "IT'S NOT THE MOUNTAIN WE CONQUER, BUT OURSELVES." SIR EDMUND HILLARYMember of the "Someone Special To Me Serves In The Military" Clique

3 members found this post helpful.

Quote Originally Posted by Kenike View Post
    I think Gen will answer the "what happened" question in her own time. No others who are aware should...it's not their place.
    Well, while I really do not want to derail this thread, her statement was made in a public forum, and I can't be the only one wondering - why? Did you not catch the concern in my original post? It was not a simple 'we are retiring to concentrate on competing our homebreds.'

I do, as previously stated, agree with your other sentiments.

As one who is contemplating hanging up my breeder's hat for good as well, I can think of many possible reasons for any breeder to stop. Glenhill will be missed. As someone else wrote, Genevieve is a class act.

I'm sorry to hear that Genevieve is joining me and so many others who have retired from breeding. I wish her well.
    Visit Sonesta Farms website at www.sonestafarms.com or our FaceBook page at www.facebook.com/sonestafarms. Also showing & breeding Cavalier King Charles Spaniels.

I agree, and i'm sure Gen will announce her 'what happened' in her own time - or she won't, and that is entirely up to her. In this industry, privacy is out the window but she does still hold the right to keep her private life separate as best she can.

She's the cornerstone of high quality Hunters in the US and Canada, and she made us all proud thus far. Her program will be renouned for years to come.

Goodmorning, I wasn't trying to be rude, nor direct more than the first part of my response to you (the part where I'm sure she'll answer when she can), and I sincerely apologize that it came off as telling you to hush. Not my intention! I was simply trying to suggest others to let the her tell the story (rather bluntly, I guess. I do that sometimes). We're all guilty of chitter-chatter sometimes. I just don't think someone in her circle should be the one(s) to speak.

Glenhill's breeding program is one I will definitely miss. Others can stop their program and it doesn't leave much of a hole. This one will...
    "IT'S NOT THE MOUNTAIN WE CONQUER, BUT OURSELVES." SIR EDMUND HILLARYMember of the "Someone Special To Me Serves In The Military" Clique

Quote Originally Posted by goodmorning View Post
    Well, while I really do not want to derail this thread, her statement was made in a public forum, and I can't be the only one wondering - why? Did you not catch the concern in my original post? It was not a simple 'we are retiring to concentrate on competing our homebreds.'

I do, as previously stated, agree with your other sentiments.
    I saw on the farms public facebook page, and on marestare after a friend mentioned it, they lost a special mare in a pasture accident this past week. Heartbreaking! It's always such a blow to lose something so precious. They really are such fragile creatures, even as big as they are.

With the economy the way it is these days, prices getting higher and youngsters to sell from this year and more on the way, I can totally understand her desire to step back. It's a smart move on her part and it's not like she can't take a break and come back fresh and new down the road. What is she going to do with her stallion? Geld and sell him? I didn't see anything about that.

I'm sure she'll find good and safe homes for her herd. She has some nice foals coming by some nice sires in 2013, she'll go out with a bang and I'm sure they'll sell quickly as they are good matches.

Good luck down the road, keep your chin up!

Perhaps she will continue to stand the stallion, but just not breed anymore for herself.
    Laurie
    Finding, preparing, showing and training young hunters, in hand and performance.
    www.juniorjohnsontrainingandsales.com

Thank you all. It has been a tough week. I had to have a fabulous mare put down last week after she suffered a catastrophic injury. Several of my mares were being switched from one pasture to another with more grass. Peggy Sue was kicking up her heels playing. She did a weird rear, spin move and ended up with a compound fracture above her hock. It was horrific and will be etched in my mind for years to come. The only saving grace was that I was there when it happened and the vet was able to get there quickly.
    It was determined that the only option was to euthanize.
    It took the wind out of my sails.
    Thank you again for all of your kind words. It really means a lot.
    Happy Holidays!

3 members found this post helpful.

She was beautiful Gen, my Juliet looks very much like her I think. I hope my girl can follow in her footsteps. Godspeed.

Thoughts are with you, it is never easy.
    First and foremost about the horse.
    Rose Bud Ranch Sporthorses
    Like Us On Facebook!

I am so sorry about your mare. Very sad. Glad you could help her quickly though.

Good luck with everything. Hope the transition goes well for you.
    Chris
    Ladybug Hill--Hunters and Ponies
    WWSD? (what would Suerte do?)

That is so tragic, Gen, and I am so sorry. They really are the most fragile of animals...
    Laurie
    Finding, preparing, showing and training young hunters, in hand and performance.
    www.juniorjohnsontrainingandsales.com

I was done breeding as well... After the baby in 2013! As laurie said - they are so fragile, and my loss this fall is still fresh in my mind as well. I can see your need to take a step back - can't WAIT to see the Roz baby though!!!
    (HUGS!!!)
    I gotta do-over and am doin it my way!!!

Since GH was the one of only two farms I watched on MS, I will surely miss watching. I can totally understand Gen's position though. There have been some sad times these past years and it is so hard to continue. The mares at GH are pampered and loved and I hope they all find new homes who give them the same love and care. I know Gen will make sure of that.
    Thanks again Gen for sharing your passion and your knowledge with all of us. Who will ever forget Suerte?

I have come to know Genevieve through her posts here on the forum and consider her a friend. You will definitely be missed in the breeding circles and I'm sure your decision didn't come easily. Merry Christmas my friend and good luck.
    Randee Beckman ~Otteridge Farm, LLC (http://on.fb.me/1iJEqvR)~ Marketing Manager - The Clothes Horse

I am so sorry for your very sad loss Gen.
    Wishing you all the very best in the future.
    A FINE ROMANCE - JC Reg Thoroughbred - GOLD Premium CSHA - ISR/OLDNA Approved
    CSHA Brickenden Stallion Award Winner - for Performance offspring.
    Please visit A Fine Romance on FB!