The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedMarketplaceDates & Results

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

I'm so sorry Super, I hope things get better soon!

Okay. FREEZE!!!!!

This isn't what you want. Think about what you DO WANT.

How do we get there?
    A good horseman doesn't have to tell anyone...the horse already knows.

Might be a reason, never an excuse...

2 members found this post helpful.

Hollowed out volcano in the South Pacific.

I think I'm gonna need a burger for this one.
    SPACE FOR RENT

@Lex: What does that mean?
    If I knew what I were doing, why would I take lessons?

"Things should be as simple as possible,
    but no simpler." - Einstein

Well for starters, it means I'm hungry but that was supposed to go on another thread. Hmmm.....
    SPACE FOR RENT

1 members found this post helpful.

LOL. I thought you were sharing breastfeeding tips, Lex. Oh well.

Dealing with lactating mammaries is definitely not an area of expertise for me.
    SPACE FOR RENT

Okay, I've posted on the wrong thread by accident at an awkward time, too.

That said: As opposed to non-lactating mammaries? You added the qualifier, I assume, not by accident.
    If I knew what I were doing, why would I take lessons?

"Things should be as simple as possible,
    but no simpler." - Einstein

Not a lot one can say.
    This, too, shall pass!

many hugs for you!

it was a rough year, for sure!
    Quote Originally Posted by Mozart View Post
    Personally, I think the moderate use of shock collars in training humans should be allowed.

Thank you all, so much. I've gotten some amazing support here.

Again... I don't know what I'd do without y'all!
    Quote Originally Posted by MistyBlue View Post
    I prefer them outside playing as opposed to standing in the barn aisle playing "I can crap more than you"
    New Year, New Blog... follow Willow and I here.

Sometimes just being able to get away from it all and hide in the computer is a welcome break! I'm sorry you're having stressful times-I wish I knew anything that would help! When I was in your shoes the computer was a welcome break for me too...

I bet you are totally exhausted, and I bet your husband is also. It's very hard to be communicating well, and supporting each other when you are so tired.

And maybe Lex did post the right thing. Not eating well is also a bad thing, and I bet you and your husband just grab a quick meal whenever you get a chance. So tired, plus not really taking care of yourself, and a lot of stress is going to be a bad situation all around. I'm sure when you do move, get a better home situation without crazy neighbors, don't have to worry about some nut crawling through a window or door, and can have a little peace and quiet you'll feel more like yourself. Time is a great healer, and when you catch up on sleep you'll feel better too.
    You can't fix stupid-Ron White

I follow your blog and read your last entry about the rough ride. Hang in there!!! I've had those days (leaving the barn in a less than stellar mood), though maybe not after quite as a dramatic performance as Willow's! Take a deep breath and Coe here for some support (and hopefully some laughs!).

BTW, you can use Rescue Remedy also on the horse...
    I think there is a child friendly version, but I think DD is too young to try it on her.

{{{{{{{{{{{{{{{{{{{{{HUGS}}}}}}}}}}}}}}}}}}
    Quote Originally Posted by Mozart View Post
    Personally, I think the moderate use of shock collars in training humans should be allowed.

well, we'll end up in kentucky an hour apart in a few months. I've got a couple really fun solid citizen western broke horses that you are welcome to come ride while we play with your super cute baby if that helps We also understand the military insanity.
    send some of their smart literate deer who can read road signs up here since ours are just run of the mill dumb ones who get splatted all over creation because they won't stay in the woods

2 members found this post helpful.

I'm so sorry things are so difficult.

I'm afraid I don't have much to offer in the way of constructive life advice, but as for the horse part of things, is there a way you could borrow/beg/steal rides on a well schooled horse once or twice, just to have some horse time that is peaceful and somewhat restorative in the face of all your difficulties?

Best of luck that you are able to figure out what is ultimately best for you, your family and your horses.

I haven't read your other thread, but if I'm getting characters right here, Willow is your horse - right? If so - I'm thinking that RITR (just above) has a good idea. Methinks perhaps Willow is reading your stress and it's freaking her out, because she doesn't know where/what it's coming from. She doesn't know it's not HER you're angry/hurt/fed up with.

Lots of hugs - sounds as though you need some time EVERY DAY to just BE for yourself. Best wishes...

Carol
    www.ayliprod.com
    Equine Photography in the Northeast

being a new mother isn't easy, especially if baby won't sleep. Can you tell us more about what she does instead of nicely take naps and go to sleep at bedtime? My daughter had (has) some sort of sleep disorder from the day she was born, literally. She laid there in her bassinet that first night and GROWLED. I called nurses (had c section, was stuck in bed with tubes etc) and they put her in my arms, out she went. She would SCREAM ALL NIGHT if we tried to get her to sleep in her own bed. To save my sanity we ended up doing the family bed, it was the only way to get some sleep. She is 16 now, and still has some problems, but is finally starting to learn to relax and pass out. We had her melatonin tested when she was 5 and it was so low it was at the same level as an old persons. Which explained why giving her a melatonin (discovered by accident) actually made her sleepy.

Anyway the point of this is that some children DO have sleep disorders but the medical doctors just don't study them. There is NO help out there for parents with a child with sleep disorders. And they go hand in hand with ADHD (which my daughter has).

Here's another big hug.

Thank you, everybody!

DD will go to sleep for DH. We've had her tested for reflux. He can get her to sleep in less than 2 minutes, and she'll stay asleep. She just wants to play with me. He works super long hours and is out the door by 4, so if she wakes up in the night, I try to get up with her, but it usually ends up with her making herself puke from screaming because I've put her down (!) and then we go downstairs and hang out so I don't wake him up. Some nights are better than others and she'll sleep right through. Some nights not so much. We've tried upping her protein at night, giving her more in her bottle, even resorted to Tylenol because I thought that she was in pain from teething. I usually get a little bit of a break on the weekends, but he's been working those too.

As for Willow. Well. She's Willow. She's been a bit like this all summer. We moved barns for the winter, and she was great. Now that she's settled in she's back to her old business x's 10. I'm investing in a safety vest and a calming supplement and she'll be in boot camp after the holidays. The vet/chiro/etc. has been out, and given the physical clear. She's been scoped, cracked, massaged, floated, etc. It's behavior stuff. I agree that she's probably feeling my tension and responding to it. I feel so defeated after out last 'outing'. I can't ever remember bailing because a horse was bucking. If she weren't so brilliant when she's good, she'd have gone back down the road long ago. We're also going to take a hard look at her feed and see if we can adjust stuff there. She is the most trying horse I've ever delt with.

Candle- You're awesome! I used to ride WP and after a ride like my last one, I miss my steady eddy QH!

JanM- That is a big piece of it. Everybody is exhausted and at their wits end with everything.

You all are wonderful. Really, truly wonderful.
    Quote Originally Posted by MistyBlue View Post
    I prefer them outside playing as opposed to standing in the barn aisle playing "I can crap more than you"
    New Year, New Blog... follow Willow and I here.