The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Default Magazine inserts -- who else

...has to rip them all out before reading?

I end up trashing the binding on Vanity Fair every month ripping out perfume ads, subscription cards, heavier stock pages, etc.
    ~ Horse Box Lovers Clique ~

5 members found this post helpful.

When I was at work one day...actually at lunch in the diag...a film crew from 20/20 came by. The topic was "what do you do with the inserts". I answered that I rip them out and throw them on the floor.

My lap was on tv showing me holding a magazine and throwing an insert on the ground.

I don't read magazines anymore, so it isn't a problem. Not much on the market for my age group!

I also disembowel the Vanity Fair before I read a single article.

3 members found this post helpful.

I work in magazines and before we have issue meetings, almost everyone rips out all the ads from their first-bound copies. (They are a lot thinner afterward!)

2 members found this post helpful.

I'm ok with ones that are attached to the magazine, but hate the loose ones that fall out.

1 members found this post helpful.

Not me, jetsmom! I'd rather have them all loose, so I can take them out without screwing up the binding and toss em. The ones that are stuck in make flipping through the magazine tougher

2 members found this post helpful.

The first thing I do is remove them. In fact, that was the only thing my first husband and I had in common . My current husband gets all antsy when I start ripping. He hates it. He can't understand why I don't leave it all in there.

I will now admit that not only do I rip them out of my magazines, but out of DH's & DS' magazines as well.

Smithsonian has a ton, but they are easy to get out. That darned VF is the bane of my existence; it's often held together with a binder clip after I get done with it.

And before anyone suggests it, I like reading mags online even less than I like ripping out pages!
    ~ Horse Box Lovers Clique ~

Thats like my favorite thing about getting a new magazine - ripping out all the flotsam. First, I give it a good shake to get the loose ones out, then I go through and tear out all the other ones. If it doesn't flip like regular magazine paper, it's in the TRASH!
    Yeah, well, you know, that's just, like, your opinion, man.

1 members found this post helpful.

Can't stand them. Take them all out, loose and attached ones, before I ever read a single item in the magazine.

But as ezduzit says, magazines are generational. They're pretty much for old people and little kids. As my son says, they're "old media."

Quote Originally Posted by Anne FS View Post
    But as ezduzit says, magazines are generational. They're pretty much for old people and little kids. As my son says, they're "old media."
    For my luxury title, our ad dollars are higher than ever, so someone has to be reading them.

Quote Originally Posted by Anne FS View Post
    It's true and it's sad. So many good magazines have gone by the wayside. This fall my breed association went digital ending my 30 year collection. Its a relief not to have to store them, but I just don't enjoy reading the digital version.

There are still a couple of good Gardening magazines, and of course Hobby Farm. Nothing really can compare to getting your hands on a brand new copy of brightly colored pictures. I even collect very old magazines. I love the ones from the 1920s/1930s

The ones glued in that just look like another page, don't bother me. The little loose quarter cards tick me off! Is it really necessary to insert 5 "SEND THIS IN AND SAVE!!!" card into each issue? One should be sufficient, save some trees!

I always forget to, and then I get on the treadmill and the inserts fall out while I'm walking or running (usually at the fastest running point,) fall on the belt, and then go shooting about 25 miles an hour into the middle of the gym, right into the middle of other people's workouts.

Quote Originally Posted by suzier444 View Post
    I always forget to, and then I get on the treadmill and the inserts fall out while I'm walking or running (usually at the fastest running point,) fall on the belt, and then go shooting about 25 miles an hour into the middle of the gym, right into the middle of other people's workouts.
    I'm impressed you can run while reading a magazine...I'm lucky to be able to change speed or drink while still being on the belt and remain upright all at the same time!!! DH laughs hard when he happens to be in the room.....then comes the comments of "boy you look redder today than normal"....gee thanks honey...I guess maybe I should look at those comments as a bonus, maybe that means a lot more sweat/fat is working its way off..

Hate them too, Western Horseman and Vanity Fair are the worst offenders. I do like both mags, however, so I just shake'm good as soon as I get them over the paper recycle bin, and then rip out the thicker inserts (VF).

Don't even get me started on the perfume scented inserts, ugh. REALLY hate them...

My last People issue had a double subscription insert, one loose subscription insert, and at least three perfume inserts. The poor magazine reaked. I tear them all out and trash them. The silly thing is that most of the time the perfume samples don't smell like the perfume anyway, at least to me.
    You can't fix stupid-Ron White

Rip, rip, rip and recycle. If it's perfumed, it goes in the outside trash.

I don't have any current magazine subscriptions. The ones I've had in the past few years have all been freebies I get via the My Coke Rewards program.
    Delicious strawberry flavored death!

Quote Originally Posted by JanM View Post
    My last People issue had a double subscription insert, one loose subscription insert, and at least three perfume inserts. The poor magazine reaked. I tear them all out and trash them. The silly thing is that most of the time the perfume samples don't smell like the perfume anyway, at least to me.
    To me they smell like the glue holding the little flap down!

Quote Originally Posted by jetsmom View Post
    I'm ok with ones that are attached to the magazine, but hate the loose ones that fall out.
    Ditto. Attached? No problem. Loose? Flotsam/jetsam that immediately gets tossed without even being looked at. Although some do get used as bookmarks if they're in the right place at the right time. . . .