The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results
 
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
Results 1 to 20 of 50
  1. #1
    Join Date
    Mar. 10, 2007
    Location
    Montana
    Posts
    4,968

    Default Instances where a gun and a civilian protected someone

    Responding to a request for examples. "Name ONE instance where someone claiming to own guns for protection has actually been able to use it for legitimate protection. Name ONE instance where an automatic weapon was necessary." in this thread http://www.chronofhorse.com/forum/sh...wport-beach-CA

    I already listed one but it was the one where the gun didn't have to be actually fired to protect others. http://www.kgw.com/news/Clackamas-ma...183593571.html

    Now I see this one online today: http://lubbockonline.com/news/101297/LA0540.htm

    and there was this one in Texas http://deadlinelive.info/2012/08/07/...with-a-pistol/

    I know someone personally that had her home broken into by a stranger, a hitchhiker-woke her up in her room in the middle of the night, she woke her husband, husband got the gun from the nightstand and confronted the intruder-they fought and the intruder was shot.



  2. #2

    Default

    The Portland Mall shooter was stopped by a citizen with a concealed carry: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BuLgO4wo4xI

    One of my dad's best friends stopped an armed intruder with his own weapon.

    A friend of mine and his wife were victims of an attempted armed mugging. He pulled his pistol and held the criminal until police arrived. Took them about 30 minutes to get there from the station 4 blocks away.
    http://www.tbhsa.com/index.html

    Originally Posted by JSwan
    I love feral children. They taste like chicken.


    1 members found this post helpful.

  3. #3
    Join Date
    Dec. 12, 2004
    Location
    Massachusetts
    Posts
    6,308

    Default

    Well, hate to be the one to point it out, but if the mentally-unstable man in the last article hadn't been able to get a gun to begin with....


    Just sayin'.


    4 members found this post helpful.

  4. #4

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by GoForAGallop View Post
    Well, hate to be the one to point it out, but if the mentally-unstable man in the last article hadn't been able to get a gun to begin with....


    Just sayin'.
    The rifle he used was stolen.
    http://www.tbhsa.com/index.html

    Originally Posted by JSwan
    I love feral children. They taste like chicken.


    2 members found this post helpful.

  5. #5
    Join Date
    Oct. 11, 2006
    Posts
    1,708

    Default

    A friend of mine (retired military) shot 3 people who attempted to carjack /rob him in Pennsylvania .


    2 members found this post helpful.

  6. #6
    Join Date
    Mar. 10, 2007
    Location
    Montana
    Posts
    4,968

    Default

    Absolutely, I'm not saying there aren't two sides by any means but as long as there are guns out there, legally had or not, there are cases where a gun was used for defense. Which was what was asked for and I thought was an interesting point.



  7. #7
    Join Date
    Dec. 18, 2002
    Location
    Chesterton, IN US
    Posts
    1,303

    Default

    If he wasn't able to get a gun, he would have used fertilizer or cleaning products to make a bomb or he would have driven his car through the front of the building loaded with gasoline or grabbed a chain saw or poisoned the water supply... There are more ways to create carnage than there are ways to prevent it. Banning the tools isn't going to stop it.


    12 members found this post helpful.

  8. #8
    Join Date
    Sep. 20, 2009
    Posts
    59



  9. #9
    Join Date
    Sep. 24, 2004
    Location
    Piedmont Triad, North Carolina
    Posts
    2,179

    Default

    How about instances where a legal gun stopped a mass slaughter ..

    http://www.volokh.com/2012/12/14/do-...mass-shooters/


    1 members found this post helpful.

  10. #10
    Join Date
    Jul. 28, 2006
    Posts
    343

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by jherold View Post
    If he wasn't able to get a gun, he would have used fertilizer or cleaning products to make a bomb or he would have driven his car through the front of the building loaded with gasoline or grabbed a chain saw or poisoned the water supply... There are more ways to create carnage than there are ways to prevent it. Banning the tools isn't going to stop it.
    Actually -- banning the guns does seem to decrease the carnage in most of the other countries with strict gun control.


    7 members found this post helpful.

  11. #11
    Join Date
    May. 5, 2006
    Posts
    2,793

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by MyGiantPony View Post
    The Portland Mall shooter was stopped by a citizen with a concealed carry: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BuLgO4wo4xI
    I am not sure the fact that a person in the mall at the time of the shooting, who pulled his gun but never shot it or made a move to expose it to the shooter, could be said to have "stopped" anything.

    http://www.kgw.com/news/Clackamas-ma...183593571.html

    In fact, this guy openly states that he chose not to take the shot because he was concerned about hitting an innocent. Which is often the case with these types of situations. The confusion is unbelievable and actually being able to do anything as a civilian is highly unlikely, for just that reason. Regardless of well you are armed.
    Sheilah


    8 members found this post helpful.

  12. #12
    Join Date
    Nov. 6, 2002
    Location
    Henrico, NC 36 30'50.49" N 77 50'17.47" W
    Posts
    5,778

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by mercedespony View Post
    Actually -- banning the guns does seem to decrease the carnage in most of the other countries with strict gun control.

    They didn't pass their laws after there were already more guns than people in the country.


    2 members found this post helpful.

  13. #13
    Join Date
    Mar. 3, 2010
    Posts
    54

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by jherold View Post
    If he wasn't able to get a gun, he would have used fertilizer or cleaning products to make a bomb or he would have driven his car through the front of the building loaded with gasoline or grabbed a chain saw or poisoned the water supply... There are more ways to create carnage than there are ways to prevent it. Banning the tools isn't going to stop it.
    I don't know that this is actually true. Most of these folks are looking for quick, easy ways to kill as many as possible in as short a time frame as possible. While many also end up committing suicide, they don't want to get up close to their victims with a knife or other hand to hand. Other than Timothy McVeigh and the Unibomber, where are these people running trucks into elementary schools and movie theaters and poisoning people, etc.? Should we expect that if automatic weapons, handguns, etc. are banned, there will be a rise in chainsaw and car bomb murders?

    One of the main arguments against building suicide barriers on bridges is that suicidal people are going to kill themselves anyway using another method if their initial attempt to jump from a bridge is thwarted. However, that thesis is largely disputed in studies. Often it is an impulsive thought that can be derailed by any number of small anomalies.

    I have no doubt that the thought process behind planning a mass murder is different that for planning a single suicide, but if there is easy access to a weapon that can inflict maximum damage with minimal planning as compared to making a bomb or poison, or less of a chance of being thwarted as you might with a knife or chainsaw, the perpetrator will go the easy route. My opinion.


    7 members found this post helpful.

  14. #14
    Join Date
    Dec. 31, 2000
    Location
    El Paso, TX
    Posts
    12,266


    1 members found this post helpful.

  15. #15
    Join Date
    Feb. 21, 2009
    Location
    Rootown!
    Posts
    2,108

    Default

    Just wondering, when we cite facts about gun control in other countries, does anyone bother to look at the other stats? I wonder how much easier it might be to obtain mental health care in other countries. I also wonder what else they do as a society to prevent these incidents. I'm not saying gun control isn't the answer, but I don't think there's any one thing we can do.

    I'm also curious as to how we would go about collecting all the guns if the country did decide to do an outright ban.

    One thing I would love to see is for these extended magazines and the like to go away. I can't think of one reason why a citizen needs to shoot that many bullets in one minute.
    No hour of life is wasted that is spent in the saddle. ~Winston Churchill
    For Hope, For Strength, For Life-Delta Gamma
    www.etsy.com/shop/joiedevivrecrafts Custom Wreaths and Other Decorations


    3 members found this post helpful.

  16. #16
    Join Date
    Jan. 30, 2010
    Location
    where the red fern grows
    Posts
    328



  17. #17
    Join Date
    Sep. 4, 2006
    Location
    Somewhere in the Southwest
    Posts
    1,217

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by dghunter View Post
    Just wondering, when we cite facts about gun control in other countries, does anyone bother to look at the other stats? I wonder how much easier it might be to obtain mental health care in other countries. I also wonder what else they do as a society to prevent these incidents. I'm not saying gun control isn't the answer, but I don't think there's any one thing we can do.

    I'm also curious as to how we would go about collecting all the guns if the country did decide to do an outright ban.

    One thing I would love to see is for these extended magazines and the like to go away. I can't think of one reason why a citizen needs to shoot that many bullets in one minute.
    Any legislation that approaches anything close to confiscation WILL result in bloodshed and quite possibly another civil war. There are a lot of us gun owners out there who simply will NOT allow our rights to be further infringed.

    As to your oft repeated, and still asinine comments about so-called "extended magazines" (thank you for using the correct word, btw, and not calling them clips), even if they try to limit us to, say, 10 round mags. First of all, there are millions of standard capacity (30 round) magazines on the open market right now. Second, with a couple hours, or less, of practice you can change mags in an AR-15 in under 2 seconds and that's not an exaggeration. So instead of 3 30 rounders, somenone carries 9 10 rounders and has to spend, at most, an additional 16 seconds in their shooting. What do you possibly think that that will accomplish.


    4 members found this post helpful.

  18. #18
    Join Date
    Jun. 22, 2007
    Location
    SE CT
    Posts
    984

    Default

    Go to www.americanrifleman.org, and click on "The Armed Citizen Blog". You will find many instances of successful self protection (both at home and public places) there.


    6 members found this post helpful.

  19. #19
    Join Date
    Jan. 27, 2002
    Location
    new england,,usa
    Posts
    4,321

    Default

    my dh was working alone in the basement of a project building when several men cornered him to mug him. he had a weapon and warned them and they fled when he went for it.
    i believe it saved his life that day.


    7 members found this post helpful.

  20. #20
    Join Date
    Oct. 2, 2012
    Posts
    1,732

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by dressurpferd01 View Post
    Any legislation that approaches anything close to confiscation WILL result in bloodshed and quite possibly another civil war. There are a lot of us gun owners out there who simply will NOT allow our rights to be further infringed.

    Keep your guns, Germany, but that is some seditious bat$hit crazy talk.
    A helmet saved my life.

    2014 goal: learn to ride like TheHorseProblem, er, a barn rat!


    9 members found this post helpful.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  
randomness