The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Why not a pasture sound horse or pony in need of a companion home - there are lots of those out there & your horses would likely prefer same species
    If you go with a mini (donkey or horse), you'll want to assess your fencing

There were 2 mini jennets in Giveaways that you might check on (someone had adopted & needed to re-turn them to original home)

Quote Originally Posted by CalPal View Post
    Hi donkey folks. We have been considering one too. Have heard they can be a little feisty with dogs. Have you found that to be the case?
    My standard donk (about 12-13 hh) used to HATE dogs; however, his stance has softened to the point that I had about four dogs in the field with the horses (GRRRRR) and one was trying to get the donk to play. Gus ignored him.

The very few mini donks I've met were not social with horses. they stuck to their own. My Chico is a small standard, I'm 5'5" and his withers are about at my hip, maybe? Bought him as a well-handled weanling, he led, was used to people...he's never, ever been dog aggressive (Noodle used to sniff the full length of his ears, to his great delight), and he is sort of in charge of my three geldings. He can steal their food, bite their knees, etc....he is a benevolent dictator, but his short stout self is sort of in charge....

2 members found this post helpful.

Quote Originally Posted by spacytracy View Post
    Where are you located? Just saw someone looking to rehome a mini donk.
    Near Baton Rouge.

Quote Originally Posted by alto View Post
    Why not a pasture sound horse or pony in need of a companion home - there are lots of those out there & your horses would likely prefer same species
    If you go with a mini (donkey or horse), you'll want to assess your fencing
    I thought about another horse, but mine always trying to die on me, even the pasture ornament, and I'm not sure I can handle another sensitive animal. I thought goats/donkeys may be more sturdy.

I have Ramm fence as perimeter and hot-tape interiorly. Worst comes to worst I put a line of hot-tape along the bottom rail of my Ramm fencing to keep them off it. Otherwise, I think I'm pretty set.

If you get a mini-donk you may NOT name it Burrito. That's my future mini-donk's name.

Donkey would be good. Goat would also be good, maybe?
    People call themselves animal lovers, then let their dogs chase the squirrels. You're scaring the shit out of the squirrels, you schmuck!