The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default non-horse buddy needed for 2 horses

I have three horses, but one of them is my show horse who will likely be boarded at show facilities for chunks of the year, leaving my two old guys at home "alone". These two are BFFs, and I've had it in the back of my head that I need to get a permanent "home" buddy, just in case.

Well, that just in case hit home this weekend when one of my two old guys choked and I was frantically contemplating what to do. I told his vet that if he had to go to the hospital, they had to make room for his BFF, otherwise I'd have two busted ponies in need of emergent care by the end of the day. He ended up recovering (for now), but I am now on "buddy alert" to find a third friend for the two at home in the unlikely, yet certain, event that one of the two has to go somewhere (e.g. hospital) and I have to leave the other at home "unattended".

The first thing that jumps to mind is a goat. My SO and I have a goat on the list of "animals to add to the mini-zoo", at some point. I love goats, but after going through some threads, I'm not so sure I'm ready for that yet. Or is that the best option? I can't think of any other species that may serve as an adequate "horse-friend".

Thoughts? Ideas?
    Would a barn cat be almost as good? I also have on my list to rescue a kitten to raise as a barn cat. I had a stray mom with kittens that I subsequently spayed/neutered a couple months ago, but the little snot took off with her kittens a couple days after the spays/neuters occurred (can't say I blame her).

Mini donkey?

you know, in searching old threads I just stumbled upon a few that recommended a mini-donkey, and I am definitely intrigued!!! However, I have absolutely no experience with them at all.

Donkeys are the best!!! We rescued one from Camelot a year ago. She has a wonderful personality, calm and easy to care for. They eat very little (and while we should probably muzzle her I don't because it makes her cranky), and are terrific companions. Every single horse on our farm is in love with the donkey, including my retired 18 hand guy...people come to see the horses and never see anything but our beloved Cupcake. She does get regular vet care, gets her feet trimmed every 2 months or so, but no major concerns or care issues. Very sturdy, and OMG cute. As a side benefit, we have no fox sneaking around the hen house any more...she alerts us to cars coming up the driveway, and wildlife moving around the fields as well. do it! do it! do it!!! (donkey-enabler)

I too love goats but we're leery of how much fencing it requires to keep them in, anywhere. Too much work at the moment, but the donkey is fantastic.

3 members found this post helpful.

Quote Originally Posted by bathsheba8542 View Post
    Donkeys are the best!!! We rescued one from Camelot a year ago. She has a wonderful personality, calm and easy to care for. They eat very little (and while we should probably muzzle her I don't because it makes her cranky), and are terrific companions. Every single horse on our farm is in love with the donkey, including my retired 18 hand guy...people come to see the horses and never see anything but our beloved Cupcake. She does get regular vet care, gets her feet trimmed every 2 months or so, but no major concerns or care issues. Very sturdy, and OMG cute. As a side benefit, we have no fox sneaking around the hen house any more...she alerts us to cars coming up the driveway, and wildlife moving around the fields as well. do it! do it! do it!!! (donkey-enabler)

I too love goats but we're leery of how much fencing it requires to keep them in, anywhere. Too much work at the moment, but the donkey is fantastic.
    Do you have a mini or full size donkey?
    Siouxland Sporthorses: http://slsfarm.blogspot.com/

DIY Journey of Remodeling the Farmette: http://weownblackacre.blogspot.com/

My grandparents had a donkey on the farm for babies/yearlings. Grandparents had downsized TB breeding op, but still had 1-2 babies every year, so they needed to make sure to have someone to keep them company after they were weaned. Everyone always loved going down to give the donkey sugar cubes and watch it chase the babies around
    I like mares. They remind me of myself: stubborn know it alls who only acknowledge you if you have food.
    Hannah B. Nana: 50% horse, 50% hippo
    Fiona: can't decide between jumpers or napping

Definitely a donkey...not a goat!! Goats are too fragile and can die...just because they want to!!! Donkeys are durable, good companions, EZ keepers, live a long time, are hard to kill or get sick and CUTE!!!
    www.crosscreeksporthorses.com
    Breeders of Painted Thoroughbreds and Uniquely Painted Irish Sport Horses in Northeast Oklahoma

1 members found this post helpful.

Hi donkey folks. We have been considering one too. Have heard they can be a little feisty with dogs. Have you found that to be the case?

Our miniature donkey will not allow dogs in the pasture. That's a feature.

He's cute, sweet, gentle, low maintenance, a kid magnet, and most important as for a companion animal, he's an equine!

Pictures here: https://www.facebook.com/LifeWithOden/photos_stream
    I have a Fjord! Life With Oden

We have a small standard donkey (gelding) that is the horse sitter. Love me some Chicodonk.

donkey donkey donkey!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

When Basque had to go the clinic for stem cell treatment, Cash was mess and
    was definitely contemplating hari kari. Had to call the clinic and ask for another room, hook up the trailer and drive 40 miles one way again. Same thing when
    Basque went for second treatment. Cash had survied Basque's five days in
    the hospital a little bit earlier--just moped around five days. But not the second time...he was running in 100% like an idiot, something down the road had him totally intrigued and wouldn't have been surprised if had jumped a fence.

We had lost my old guy a year or so before. While taking one horse away was
    an event, the remaining two settled down quickly. Now it's impossible to do.
    Not sure I could talk DH into another mouth to fill.
    Julie
    www.centaurfencing.com
    Safer, Stronger, Lasts Longer!
    Godspeed BARBARO--Run fast and free!

It's nice to see I'm not the only one who had to contemplate making reservations at horsepital for perfectly healthy BFF! (I wonder how much that irritates the staff at the hospital)

We have a mini; and yes, she is protective of her horses in the fields/paddocks if a dog tries to come in. But, she is perfectly fine with them when they are where they are supposed to be, and will touch noses and investigate dogs outside of fields.

Quote Originally Posted by BasqueMom View Post
    While taking one horse away was
    an event, the remaining two settled down quickly. Now it's impossible to do.
    Not sure I could talk DH into another mouth to fill.
    Yes, I could likely leave one horse behind with minimal repercussions, but the other would kill himself, either trying to get out or colic from panic.
    DH's response to my idea was "well, if it's necessary...." Bless you, hubby. You win major points.

Quote Originally Posted by Chall View Post
    It's nice to see I'm not the only one who had to contemplate making reservations at horsepital for perfectly healthy BFF! (I wonder how much that irritates the staff at the hospital)
    LOL I do work at the hospital, which is both a blessing and a curse. I like to think I get to bend the rules a bit, but then again, I have to work with these people on a regular basis and now they are privy to the "crazy".
    If the buddy had to stay for longer than the day, I would've tried to make other arrangements for the BFF to go live with other ponies somewhere, instead of at home by himself. But yes, I'm sure it's irritating, hence the hunt for a stand-in BFF.

Quote Originally Posted by Cindyg View Post
    Holy adorable!!!!!
    the trickle-down feeder is the cutest thing ever!

So where would one go about finding a mini-donkey?

Not sure where are, but we found Cupcake at Camelot! They are there for rescue on a sadly regular basis....We bought her on Saturday night via credit card at 10:30p, found the 'regular' shipper who hauls up and down the east coast, and she was here by lunch the next day.

There are 3 mini donks at the barn where I board. From what I can tell, the horses aren't particularly fond of them. There are three horses, and three donkies and the groups don't intermingle. Other than feeding time, it seems like they are always on opposite sides of the field. The three donks were together before they came to the barn and I think there are 2 siblings and a mom so they're stuck together like glue. I'm willing to bet that if the donks were seperated, they'd make friends with the horses.

They donks don't like my aussie, and my aussie doesn't like them. She'll chase them into a corner and they'll rally and chase her out of the field. It cracks me up. (No donkeys or dogs are harmed). The donks are pretty slow and I don't think can catch up to a dog of average speed. But when they put those ears back and go, they're pretty intimidating!

And they're the cutest things EVER

You may name the guy DonkeyOatey...

Cupcake is wicked fast...she pinned our border collie in a corner of the paddock when he made the mistake of thinking he could herd her around. Don't count on a donkey being slow...they can be surprising.

1 members found this post helpful.

Where are you located? Just saw someone looking to rehome a mini donk.