The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

A local Yamaha dealer is having an end of the world blow out Friday...and if the world doesn't end they will honor the prices until January.
    Busy Bee Farm, Ellijay, GA
    Never Ride Faster Than Your Guardian Angel Can Fly
    Way Back Texas~04/20/90-09/17/08
    Green Alligator "Captain"

Quote Originally Posted by cutter99 View Post
    I have library books due on Saturday. I guess I don't need to worry about getting them back in tme!
    I'm a librarian and I'm shaking my finger at you!
    I loff my Quarter horse clique

I kill threads dead!

1 members found this post helpful.

Remind me to avoid Facebook on Friday, those statuses are going to be obnoxious!
    "Things turn out best for the people who make the best of the way things turn out." ~John Wooden

Phoenix Animal Rescue

I do not believe in any Hocus Pocus - not from any ancient peoples or religions!

What makes those myans so speshil?

Hey since we are all gonna die on Friday, or is it we have a week to all die out, then we best get those margarita glasses chilled and get drinking. Today. Now.

Where is my wormy tequila? I think I should put my margarita in my backpack drinking thingy. Hey I can wear that all the time and have a sip any time I want. I will tell folks who inquire, oh I am getting well hydrated for the big blow up of the earth friday. I wanna be well hydrated for the big bang - who wouldn't want to be?

Anybody got a GREAT tried and true, name dropping appreciated so we can get it right, margarita recipe?

oh-lay!

oh sorry i am off track. whoops, I mean bzzzzzzzzz of the blender - can't hear youuuuuuuuuu - what?????

Quote Originally Posted by rodawn View Post
    About the only thing that is interesting about all of this is just how accurate the Mayans were at knowing where the planets, constellations and the Milky Way alignments, rotations and orbits were.
    It is truely amazing how sophisticated their knowledge was. I can only find 4 or 5 constellations with any reliablility.

duplicate... stinking technology

Well if its the end of the world Friday, Im not shovelling the driveway of the Thursday snowstorm, thats for sure.

2 members found this post helpful.

DD's friends are having an end of the world Zombie Apocalypse party. She had to shop for gifts with a survivor theme, so she got candles (no matches though).

I plan to be in bed asleep myself.
    Courageous Weenie Eventer Wannabe
    Incredible Invisible

"The Mayans predicted that the 2012 winter solstice, the sun will be almost perfectly aligned with the plane of the Milky Way Galaxy. Which is to say, the Mayan's predicted that the equator of the Milky Way galaxy (called the Galactic Equator) and the path of the Sun (the Ecliptic) will cross each other at exactly 11:11 am GMT on December 21, 2012. This happens in about once every 26,000 years. They had astonishing astronomical abilities."

This paragraph has me totally freaked out now! If I had a dollar for every time in my life I have looked at a clock and it's been exactly 11:11 - I would be Oprah Winfrey wealthy! It happens several times per week! I've always wondered if I have some 6th sense about that particular time. Anybody care to explain???? What if...........
    Cindy

Quote Originally Posted by Mali View Post
    "The Mayans predicted that the 2012 winter solstice, the sun will be almost perfectly aligned with the plane of the Milky Way Galaxy. Which is to say, the Mayan's predicted that the equator of the Milky Way galaxy (called the Galactic Equator) and the path of the Sun (the Ecliptic) will cross each other at exactly 11:11 am GMT on December 21, 2012. This happens in about once every 26,000 years. They had astonishing astronomical abilities."
    Um...yes, but....

From the Griffith Observatory website ( http://www.griffithobs.org/exhibits/special/2012.html )

"They have claimed the winter solstice Sun will coincide with the center of the Milky Way Galaxy in 2012. In fact, the winter solstice Sun does not get closer than 3 degrees to the center of the Milky Way Galaxy. This is equal to six full moons, a very large discrepancy, even for the unaided eye. And the winter solstice Sun is actually closer to the center of Galaxy 200 years after 2012. Even a superficial glance at a typical celestial atlas verifies the current configuration. This is not true. The winter solstice Sun never coincides with the center of the Milky Way Galaxy. There is no "galactic alignment" on winter solstice, 2012. There is no meaningful midpoint across the Milky Way. A midpoint for the winter solstice sun's precessional passage across the Milky Way cannot be defined to a century, let alone a single day (and certainly not to 21 December 2012)."

Last edited by Frank B; Dec. 18, 2012 at 09:45 PM.
    “There are two ways to conquer and enslave a nation. One is by the sword. The other is by debt.”
    John Adams

I don't really care either way. I'll still be drunk from celebrating my birthday. LOL
    My CANTER cutie Chip and IHSA shows!
    http://www.youtube.com/kheit86

Quote Originally Posted by Anne FS View Post
    I also learned that there are still Mayans today, even though many people think there aren't - the Mayan people number around 7 million.
    There's something like 21 Mayan languages still spoken in Guatemala, and I'm sure there's probably others in different parts of Central America. I lived in a town that was probably 95% Mayan (Kaqchikel) for 2+ years and never once heard a peep about the world ending. So I'm remarkably unconcerned about it all.

Are we still here? Or are we in Heaven?

Or did I miss it due to too many margaritas over the weekend?

That's hysterical Frank!

I guess the world didn't end, but since the Mayans descendants thought it was very stupid, then I guess the fact that some people probably maxed out credit cards or otherwise did stupid things should be my only remaining entertainment about this.

Remember when that preacher on the radio show in CA predicted the end of the world twice (I think it was last year or the year before)? What some people did was so bizarre.
    You can't fix stupid-Ron White

Quote Originally Posted by rmh_rider View Post

stupid archaeologist never turn the calendar over to see that it continued on the back side of the rock

Quote Originally Posted by rmh_rider View Post

short sighted archaeologist never turn the calendar over to see that it continued on the back side of the rock