The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by Equibrit View Post
    The US bunch may be putting a good show - but they have made it look really flakey by usurping the name and reputation that does not belong to them. It's a common thing to do in the US - doesn't make it right.
    well did the global dressage forum trademark the name? if not not much to complain about.

perhaps they could of called it "really big dressage forum" ?

or maybe "worldwide dressage forum"?

or maybe just

"too cool for school dressage forum"

?

7 members found this post helpful.

Quote Originally Posted by mbm View Post
    well did the global dressage forum trademark the name? if not not much to complain about.
    Mr. Bartels has every right to be annoyed that someone else is using the same name of a prominent event his family has hosted for 12 years.
    -Amor vincit omnia-

4 members found this post helpful.

Quote Originally Posted by Mardi View Post
    Yeah but.... professional courtesy says you call the US version something else.
    Courtesy? Is that how it's spelled? Surely there's no place for such a stuffy, antiquated, old world notion in the American business model.

1 members found this post helpful.

Or the Japanese business model, the Chinese business model.... I think we call it innovation.

Paula
    He is total garbage! Quick! Hide him on my trailer (Petstorejunkie).

2 members found this post helpful.

Quote Originally Posted by Donella View Post
    I think it's going to be amazing, all of the trainers are the best of the best, Dr Samper is probably the best therio in the world, Dr Hilary Clayton ect. How can any dressage rider or breeder NOT want to go? I bought my tickets
    We have it in our game plan for January - hope to see you there!

or maybe just

I would definitely go to that one.
    Quote Originally Posted by Linny View Post
    Those martingales were so taut, you could play Ode to Joy on them with a comb

or maybe just

?
    Quote Originally Posted by SillyHorse View Post
    I would definitely go to that one.

I would assume they wouldn't let me in the door!
    My horse is a dressage diva so I don't have to be.

Quote Originally Posted by katarine
    If you have a fat gay horse that likes Parelli, you're really screwed

I honestly wish i could go - it sounds like it will be a fantastic event - no matter what it is called.

And it sounds like it is geared towards us *normal* riders - and not a invite only event....

3 members found this post helpful.

I'd go if I had money. Hopefully they'll be around next year?

Paula

Quote Originally Posted by LarkspurCO View Post
    Isn't that what all the great European trainers do?
    Now now, technically that is a besom, not a broom!

Put a cowboy hat on that man and change the bundle of twigs to plastic bag taped on a stick and we have a good ole american example of "sacking out"!
    Proud member of the Colbert Dressage Nation

Quote Originally Posted by paulaedwina View Post
    Or the Japanese business model, the Chinese business model.... I think we call it innovation.

Paula
    The Chinese model would be counterfeit. You can't sell Pepci, or Coka Kola, it's copyright infringement.

It is TACKY to use that name, period. Those bright bulbs could possibly generate a unique name that didn't 'borrow' someone else's street cred.

You're a teacher, P, how you do feel about plagiarism, or theft of intellectual property, taking credit for someone else's twelve years of hard work? Or is this OK because fancy names are booked to talk ?

I would also love to be able to attend. But I can concurrently think Good God A Mighty, you seriously couldn't freaking come up with your OWN name? Lazy and deceptive marketing.

4 members found this post helpful.

Generally, if a person is using a name that they came up with and they are, and have been, using it on the internet, than it is theirs. That is the rule of the web.

Now, there are a lot of people trying to change some of those laws, but some of those changes are already coming under scrutiny ... like the new FB thing where they take claim to anything one posts on FB ... all photographs, etc., ....

And since the name was already in use, then the US version is a copyright infringement. I beleive this holds true even if it wasn't registered with the copyright office BECAUSE the name was being used in a fairly public manner.

BP, when you sign up to use FB, you signed over ownership of your activities. It's not news. It's just people not reading the fine print.
    As Barbara Livingston, the famous horse photographer said on her FB wall:
    "Facebook already gives itself copyrights over every photo a person posts, meaning that they can sell your photos and profit from them, without asking you, paying you or crediting you.... I don't use the Instagram feature (as Susie Raisher says, we tried not to have photos look like that for so many years....why does it suddenly seem great now?!)."

It's not new. It's just news b/c someone bothered to read the agreement.

Quote Originally Posted by katarine View Post
    The Chinese model would be counterfeit. You can't sell Pepci, or Coka Kola, it's copyright infringement.

It is TACKY to use that name, period. Those bright bulbs could possibly generate a unique name that didn't 'borrow' someone else's street cred.

You're a teacher, P, how you do feel about plagiarism, or theft of intellectual property, taking credit for someone else's twelve years of hard work? Or is this OK because fancy names are booked to talk ?

I would also love to be able to attend. But I can concurrently think Good God A Mighty, you seriously couldn't freaking come up with your OWN name? Lazy and deceptive marketing.

Weeell, I dunno. It is about perspective I guess. From my perspective they aren't violating copyright because the name isn't copyrighted. And imitation can be a form of flattery no? And they're providing a service -GDF for the Americas.

I'm thinking about the school analogy. I don't see it as plagiarism any more than my scouring the net to find a cool picture to add to my power point lecture.

The more I think about it I'd have to say I'd be more offended if they called it something different and then modeled it entirely on GDF. I'd think that was sneaky. For example, if I decided to have a competition for dogs from all over the world participating in world type games wherein they could win medals and laurels I'd much rather call it the Dog Olympics than pretend that my model was new. And in addition, by calling it the Dog Olympics interested people would know exactly what to expect.

So that's how I see GDFNA.

Paula

Aren't we really talking about a Trademark, rather than a Copyright?

What Is a Copyright?

Copyright is a form of protection provided to the authors of "original works of authorship" including literary, dramatic, musical, artistic, and certain other intellectual works, both published and unpublished. The 1976 Copyright Act generally gives the owner of copyright the exclusive right to reproduce the copyrighted work, to prepare derivative works, to distribute copies or phonorecords of the copyrighted work, to perform the copyrighted work publicly, or to display the copyrighted work publicly.

The copyright protects the form of expression rather than the subject matter of the writing. For example, a description of a machine could be copyrighted, but this would only prevent others from copying the description; it would not prevent others from writing a description of their own or from making and using the machine. Copyrights are registered by the Copyright Office of the Library of Congress.
    Need a copyright form? Try these:
    Copyright Assignment Form
    Copyright Cease & Desist Letter
    Copyright Policy for a School
    What Is a Trademark or Servicemark?

A trademark is a word, name, symbol or device which is used in trade with goods to indicate the source of the goods and to distinguish them from the goods of others. A servicemark is the same as a trademark except that it identifies and distinguishes the source of a service rather than a product. The terms "trademark" and "mark" are commonly used to refer to both trademarks and servicemarks.

Trademark rights may be used to prevent others from using a confusingly similar mark, but not to prevent others from making the same goods or from selling the same goods or services under a clearly different mark. Trademarks which are used in interstate or foreign commerce may be registered with the Patent and Trademark Office. The registration procedure for trademarks and general information concerning trademarks is described in a separate pamphlet entitled "Basic Facts about Trademarks".

source: http://www.lawmart.com/forms/difference.htm

Quote Originally Posted by paulaedwina View Post
    Weeell, I dunno. It is about perspective I guess. From my perspective they aren't violating copyright because the name isn't copyrighted. And imitation can be a form of flattery no? And they're providing a service -GDF for the Americas.

I'm thinking about the school analogy. I don't see it as plagiarism any more than my scouring the net to find a cool picture to add to my power point lecture.

The more I think about it I'd have to say I'd be more offended if they called it something different and then modeled it entirely on GDF. I'd think that was sneaky. For example, if I decided to have a competition for dogs from all over the world participating in world type games wherein they could win medals and laurels I'd much rather call it the Dog Olympics than pretend that my model was new. And in addition, by calling it the Dog Olympics interested people would know exactly what to expect.

So that's how I see GDFNA.

Paula
    If you use that photo without crediting the photographer (at the very least), or buying it from Shutterstock...you stole that photo.

So if, for example, I'm discussing diphtheria and the telltale bull neck, then do a Google image search for diphtheria bull neck and then paste the image into a power point presentation for a lecture I've stolen the image?

Paula

katarine, I think they are more in the TM range, but looking at it from the advertising/poster/graphic art point of view, I think it may also come under copyright law (graphic design aspect only).

Paula ... yes, unless you credit the photographer or source. Unless they object, then you should comply with a cease & desist.

3 members found this post helpful.