The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

katarine, I read the FB rules and it is (was?) a violation to use any photos, art, etc., when I signed on, which included defacement and other various forms of misuse.

That is for FB pages only without that other set-up they have that if you click on "yes" you are giving them the right to any of your stuff. I question the legality of that though, and I hope someone takes them to court on it.

Quote Originally Posted by paulaedwina View Post
    So if, for example, I'm discussing diphtheria and the telltale bull neck, then do a Google image search for diphtheria bull neck and then paste the image into a power point presentation for a lecture I've stolen the image?

Paula
    Yes. Unless the owner of the picture has noted that it may be used for free (say if you find it on a free stock images website or something). You should at the very least give photo credit to the owner of the image. What you should really do is contact the owner and inform them of how you want to use the image and get their permission before using it in any way.
    My Mustang Adventures - Mac, my mustang | Annwylid D'Lite - my Cob filly

"A horse's face always conveys clearly whether it is loved by its owner or simply used." - Anja Beran

6 members found this post helpful.

So if, for example, I'm discussing diphtheria and the telltale bull neck, then do a Google image search for diphtheria bull neck and then paste the image into a power point presentation for a lecture I've stolen the image?

Paula
    Quote Originally Posted by BaroquePony View Post
    Paula ... yes, unless you credit the photographer or source. Unless they object, then you should comply with a cease & desist.
    I'm trying to figure out if Paula actually knew this or not. I mean, everyone knows what BP said, right? And unless the page says you can use and credit them, you can't use it by default....
    My horse is a dressage diva so I don't have to be.

Quote Originally Posted by katarine
    If you have a fat gay horse that likes Parelli, you're really screwed

1 members found this post helpful.

You put a reference list at the end of your presentation, but nobody goes about asking permission to use pictures. Gosh, in on semester I'd have to send out hundreds of requests. We ask for permission if we're going to use the contents of someone's text, or some portion of a book. If, for example, I'm customizing a lab book with a number of experimental protocols I"ll seek permission.

Paula
    He is total garbage! Quick! Hide him on my trailer (Petstorejunkie).

You put a reference list at the end of your presentation, but nobody goes about asking permission to use pictures. Gosh, in on semester I'd have to send out hundreds of requests. We ask for permission if we're going to use the contents of someone's text, or some portion of a book. If, for example, I'm customizing a lab book with a number of experimental protocols I"ll seek permission.

Paula
    Unless the picture explicitly says you are allowed to use it with reference, my company has a policy you will be *fired* if you use a picture without permission. Because, yes, it's not legal to take anything you want off the web, reference or not, if permission isn't given.

I post my photos online with permission to use them in a non-commercial manner with reference given stated, but many people do not do that.
    My horse is a dressage diva so I don't have to be.

Quote Originally Posted by katarine
    If you have a fat gay horse that likes Parelli, you're really screwed

2 members found this post helpful.

When I referred to using a photo and crediting it, I was thinking more along the lines of a website AND said credited photo is only being used for EDUCATIONAL purposes. A website is a "single copy" of information that is not published in multiple copies or profitting from sales. There is a difference.

It cannot be used as part of someone's logo, or anything that is being used to promote anything.

The minute said photo is used for multiple copies that are going to be distributed and SOLD, then a whole different set of rules apply. No one can make money off of someone else's intellectual property without written permission (release) from the creator and the subject. Except in violation of copyruight laws, which technically, is a Federal Violation.

FB clearly states in its policy that it definately protects the intellectual property rights of its users, and they will take action if the initiator doesn't comply with a cease & desist when contacted.

RE: Unless the picture explicitly says you are allowed to use it with reference, my company has a policy you will be *fired* if you use a picture without permission. Because, yes, it's not legal to take anything you want off the web, reference or not, if permission isn't given.

We have very different rules in education I think. We all use the same -cite your source process.

RE: When I referred to using a photo and crediting it, I was thinking more along the lines of a website AND said credited photo is only being used for EDUCATIONAL purposes. A website is a "single copy" of information that is not published in multiple copies or profitting from sales. There is a difference.

There is indeed a difference.

Paula
    He is total garbage! Quick! Hide him on my trailer (Petstorejunkie).

You should ask for permission, even for use on the web, but if it is for educational purposes and credited then it is done (that doesn't mean it is legal, just that most people don't mind if it is for short use and educational), but I would think the law would stand behind a cease & desist if someone objects.

I do use a lot of the "public domain" freebies (copyright free), some of which are very nice.

3 members found this post helpful.

In a past life I published continuing medical education books for a non-profit organization. We obtained permission for every chart, graph, photo or illustration that was not the property of the original author. So, many many letters sent.

Under the fair use section of US copyright law, Paula is not required to obtain permission for the photos she uses in her PowerPoint presentations and probably not for the other classroom materials, depending on the circumstances.

http://fairuse.stanford.edu/Copyrigh...pter7/7-b.html

I am having trouble seeing where there is any copyright infringement with regard to the GDFNA web site. They haven't stolen any graphics from the Dutch site, and the design (mundane as it is) is not the same.

I doubt the US event is stealing much business away from the "real" Global Dressage Forum. The Dutch event is certainly not in my budget, but the US event is. See you there!

I'm looking forward to attending the GDFNA. I can budget the time and money for a Florida trip, but not one to Europe. It never occurred to me there was a disconnect -- I thought this was THE Global Dressage Forum.

Anyway, I don't care. It's about time we had a "global" forum on THIS continent.

Well it ain't fake. What's in a name? I'm going!

Good article from EuroDressage.....
    the American organizer admits he was asked to change the name, but refused.

http://www.eurodressage.com/equestri...m-copycat-work
    -Amor vincit omnia-

The tone and voice reminds me of something Aunt Esther would have written. What ever happened to her anyway?

Regardless, I have a hard time buying it. The GDF NA has "NORTH AMERICA" plastered all over its web site and press releases. I suppose HRH Princess Benedikte of Denmark will have to roll a spliff and cry into her beer.

I was planning to go but opted to by tickets to World Dressage Masters instead, because I just cannot resist His Royal Highness Prince Edward Gal.

1 members found this post helpful.

Aunt Esther dislocated her knee over Thanksgiving 2011, which also caused severe drop foot, spent months in a wheelchair, had to wear two braces at once on her right leg, was unable to drive for six months, and still uses a cane. She just recently was able to ditch skateboard shoes for exceptionally ugly ass orthopedic shoes.

As a result, she has been on temporary hiatus.

She did tell me that she thinks that using the GDF name is tres douchey.
    EDDIE WOULD GO

Oh, my! How painful! Please give Aunt Esther my regards.Tell her I think orthopedic shoes are very fetching.

Quote Originally Posted by LarkspurCO View Post

Regardless, I have a hard time buying it. The GDF NA has "NORTH AMERICA" plastered all over its web site and press releases. I suppose HRH Princess Benedikte of Denmark will have to roll a spliff and cry into her beer.
    Oh.. Oh.. Oh!! Hee.. hee.. hee!!
    Thanks Larkspur , I needed a laugh!

Regardless, I have a hard time buying it. The GDF NA has "NORTH AMERICA" plastered all over its web site and press releases.
    Did you read the last paragraph ? The American organizer (Andreas Stano) HASN'T used "North America" (as he agreed) to distinguish between the two events.

"GDF wants to inform that the heading of the last mailing of the NA Forum did not even have the additional title ‘North America’, just ‘Global Dressage Forum Captures International Dressage World’ and the text on the website of Mr. Stano is almost literally copied from the original GDF website. No clarity was created in promoting his Forum. On the contrary, by copying the title and promotional text, confusion and misunderstanding has been created."

It's too bad that he went this route. Why take the low road ? It's such a great idea, and nice to have something similar in the US.
    -Amor vincit omnia-

Quote Originally Posted by Mardi View Post
    Did you read the last paragraph ? The American organizer (Andreas Stano) HASN'T used "North America" (as he agreed) to distinguish between the two events.
    Uh, yes he has. Look at the web site. Look at the press releases.

http://www.globaldressageforumna.com/

http://www.phelpsmediagroup.com/viewarticle.php?id=7158

definitely weird to insist on using "Global Dressage Forum " instead of coming up with a different name . Blatant rip off.

Uh, yes he has. Look at the web site. Look at the press releases.
    I think we're going past each other here.

Yes, he has used North America.

The issue is that he has not used it consistently, as one would if that's the title of the event, and the event was created to stand alone from the original.
    -Amor vincit omnia-