The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Default My son is a big guy.

And my back is killing me. He's four months today, creeping up on 18lbs. Has 1 tooth and another coming through.
    Dh and have some wickedly sore backs just from holding him and picking him up.

Tips? Strengthening ideas? This guy appears to be taking after my 6'4 230lb dad, not his 5'6 180 daddy!

1 members found this post helpful.

Hehe, I can always tell when DD puts on more weight because my back is sore for a week! Granted, she's tiny, 10 months and 16lbs, but so am I.

Lift with your knees. Honestly though, invest in a good carrier (I love my Ergo and Moby) that will help distribute his weight when you have to carry him for long periods of time, or even just around the house.
    Quote Originally Posted by MistyBlue View Post
    I prefer them outside playing as opposed to standing in the barn aisle playing "I can crap more than you"
    New Year, New Blog... follow Willow and I here.

The only tips I have are good body mechanics. Things I learned in nursing school haha. Like bend your knees to pick up, don't just bend forward. Keep him (or other heavy objects) close to your body. Never twist around, if you're going to change directions then pick up your feet and move them into that direction.

Try to strengthen your core and back as well. Here is a website with four easy moves to strengthen your back. http://www.realsimple.com/health/fit...657/index.html
    http://www.youtube.com/user/NBChoice http://nbchoice.blogspot.com/
    The New Banner's Choice- 1994 ASB Mare
    Dennis The Menace Too- 1999 ASB Gelding
    Dreamacres Sublime- 2008 ASB Gelding

Mine's a bruiser, too size wise.

Body Mechanics are key, for sure. NB has great advice on that. I've also used a few yoga with baby type dvd's that will help strengthen you using exercises with your monster man. Two birds with one stone (playing with him and working on your own body).

As he got bigger there were certain things I just gradually got stronger on (holding him on one hip for long periods of time) and some that repetition aggravated (like my left hand holding up his feet to change a diaper tens of times a day).

(Just thought I'd throw one more thing in parenthesis at the end, since I appear to be married to it in this thread).
    "Aye God, Woodrow..."

1 members found this post helpful.

Seriously? I got a thumbs down for my post? Own up to it, you mean girl coward!

3 members found this post helpful.

Check out kinder packs. I still tot my 3 1/2 yo around in it on occasion with no strain on my body. They are spendy but super well designed and well worth it IMO

I'm doing P90X now because I was starting to have a hard time lifting my daughter. She's 55 pounds and relies on a wheelchair to get around.

Overall strength training is what will help you most in the long run. Push ups are great and squats will help you with the lifting so you can protect your back.
    "Is it ignorance or apathy? Hey, I don't know and I don't care." ~Jimmy Buffett

I love my Moby... used to have to walk my son in it for hours to put him to sleep... while pregnant... no back pain at all. They are a lifesaver!