The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2345 LastLast
    Clarksdale, MS--the golden buckle on the cotton belt

Might have been a nice Christmas gift for you, but it's a better one for the horses.

Way to go!
    "I'm a lumberjack, and I'm okay."
    Thread killer Extraordinaire

3 members found this post helpful.

What a wonderful story! Gorgeous mare! Congratulations Look forward to more pictures. What a score.

Yes, you rock! Congratulations to you and your new horses!
    "I am still under the impression there is nothing alive quite so beautiful
    as a thoroughbred horse."

-JOHN GALSWORTHY

Good for you! Love the mare and it sounds like the gelding may have some promise. And it's a good time of year to introduce them to grass. Can't wait to see pics of them as they fill out. That mare is quite a find!

Thanks guys. These two could use some COTH jingles. They are in really really poor shape. My vet will be out tomorrow to help with the game plan. It is going to be a bit touch and go for a few days. They are in such poor condition that I do not want to even do a panacur power pack on them without a vet's ok. How people can let horses get into this condition is just upsetting.

So please give them both some jingles to pull through get healthy.....

ETA: I'd say they are a body score of 2 (going close to 1) to give you all an idea.
    Last edited by bornfreenowexpensive; Dec. 24, 2012 at 04:23 PM.
    ** The difference between genius and stupidity is genius has its limits. -- Albert Einstein **

so sad! How did the trainer expect them to do their job in awful shape!? sending Jingles your way! And how could the trainer say he'd take the one back?! Let you get him healthy again so he can ruin him in the spring again? Situations like this are what give racing a bad name. Glad you gave them a soft place to land. Really hope the 1st mare found a safe place too.

It looks like you got them from Juan Sepulveda. Not hard for them to get that skinny in his program, unfortunately. I got a horse from him going on 2 years ago, right off the track. He was a 2 (also very close to a possible 1) on the weight scale, and all four of his frogs peeled off when I picked his feet the first time he had thrush so bad. I gave him a shot of bananmine when I wormed him with a half dose, just to be ready for the colic! Fast forward, and Pickles is jet black, shiny, one of the easiest keepers I have and anyone (and I mean anyone!) can ride him. And did I mention flashy?

I'm sure they'll come around quickly with care. And you'll have a good Christmas with them. But best of all, they are going to be so happy they won't know how to act. Good on you.

Sheila
    Chestnut Run Stable
    www.Zeltt.com
    Standing "Tiz Brian" at Stud, 16.1 h bay TB by Tiznow

1 members found this post helpful.

Yeah...I'll not let him go back and think I can work it out with the trainer. Even if I have to pay a bit for him.

I just checked on them before it got too dark, they are in their nice new shed with a big bale of grass hay. As I was leaving, I watched them both go up for a drink of water. They seem ok for now. It's snowing now so I was glad they seem happy in the shed with hay....and are eating the hay. And yup...very worried about colic when I worm them. So glad my vet was happy to swing by tomorrow....I have a great vet
    ** The difference between genius and stupidity is genius has its limits. -- Albert Einstein **

I wish that I could get all the horses in his care rehomed. He has a bunch on the CANTER Delaware Park trainer listings if anybody wants to try to help out.

BFEN- hope they make it okay

Quote Originally Posted by Jleegriffith View Post
    I wish that I could get all the horses in his care rehomed. He has a bunch on the CANTER Delaware Park trainer listings if anybody wants to try to help out.

BFEN- hope they make it okay
    me too. I'm also afraid he is going to offer me the one you like....I think that is what he was telling me. He is running him one more time. I can see my self talking him into letting me keep Richie...and taking that one as well. I now see the downside of having your own farm......

2 members found this post helpful.

Well, you saved the lives of those horses, and you are to be commended. Thank you.

That is the dynaformer? http://www.canterusa.org/index.php?o...ngs&Itemid=283

I did really like that horse but I would have to vet something that came from him from top to bottom if I was planning on reselling.

This gelding has 74 starts- http://www.canterusa.org/index.php?o...ngs&Itemid=283

This mare has 46 starts- http://www.canterusa.org/index.php?o...ngs&Itemid=283

Hammering Buckeye has 51 starts- http://www.canterusa.org/index.php?o...ngs&Itemid=283

House Arrest has 82 starts- http://www.canterusa.org/index.php?o...ngs&Itemid=283

Tactical Sting has 82 as well-
    http://www.canterusa.org/index.php?o...ngs&Itemid=283

BFNE - that's completely awesome that you took those horses - really, a completely generous move.

I find it really aggravating when people post stuff like, "My horse had bad hocks so EVERY horse vaguely related to my horse will have bad hocks." What does that even mean? Yours had arthritis? Arthritis isn't generally heritable, even juvenile arthritis. Bad hocks aren't heritable. Conformation flaws are but 'bad joints' are not and the two are generally not related, even though people tend to think they always are.

A LOT has happened since the beginning of this thread. You are wonderful to take these two guys. They are low though : ( Alfalfa seems to really help when they get this low. I think there's even a protocol to follow using it to bring starving horses back to health. Maybe I read it on Cornell's site??? At the moment I can't remember where I read it. Anyway what a great thing to read today!

Small amounts of alfalfa, increasing over 2 weeks . Glad you took them Melissa-I'd say they look like BCS score of 1 /2. They certainly got their Christmas miracle....

Quote Originally Posted by currycomb321 View Post
    Arthritis isn't generally heritable, even juvenile arthritis. Bad hocks aren't heritable. Conformation flaws are but 'bad joints' are not and the two are generally not related, even though people tend to think they always are.

Apologies for the OT
    BUT arthritis certainly does exhibit genetic predisposition.

BFNE wonderful that you got these 2 horses
    Jinlges that they feel better soon

Bumping for Christmas - these Canter Cuties need their own BFNE-angel for a new home/career. Fingers crossed BFNE's new charges have a speedy return to good weight. Merry Christmas.

Quote Originally Posted by Jleegriffith View Post
    That is the dynaformer? http://www.canterusa.org/index.php?o...ngs&Itemid=283

I did really like that horse but I would have to vet something that came from him from top to bottom if I was planning on reselling.

This gelding has 74 starts- http://www.canterusa.org/index.php?o...ngs&Itemid=283

This mare has 46 starts- http://www.canterusa.org/index.php?o...ngs&Itemid=283

Hammering Buckeye has 51 starts- http://www.canterusa.org/index.php?o...ngs&Itemid=283

House Arrest has 82 starts- http://www.canterusa.org/index.php?o...ngs&Itemid=283

Tactical Sting has 82 as well-
    http://www.canterusa.org/index.php?o...ngs&Itemid=283

That's sad to hear. I browse CANTER all the time and always thought Hammering Buckeye was cute. I, of course, could probably get hubby to purchase but I can't afford to keep unless I want to eat crackers or Ramen every meal. Although I assume he'd go real cheap if they look that bad....

Merry Christmas BFNE and Thank you for your caring and compassion. Looking forward to positive updates about your new family members!
    xo

Quote Originally Posted by clivers View Post
    Merry Christmas BFNE and Thank you for your caring and compassion. Looking forward to positive updates about your new family members!
    xo
    Thanks...they looked good this morning. I found normal poops in the shed (only horse people get happy seeing poop ) They are out in a field with 30 sheep that has a mix of alfalfa and grass with a big grass round bale. I know it isn't the ideal protocol but it is what I have. They were out grazing when I came out--but come when I call. They seemed bright eyed and looking better today. I think they were also dehydrated when I got them and that seems to have improved.

Meeting my vet in a few hours but I'm feeling more positive for them now. Keep up the COTH jingles....and hoping a few more of these guys find some homes.