The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by bornfreenowexpensive View Post
    He just called me back---must have seen my number or text. She is gone. I have fingers crossed it is to a good home.

His wife is calling me tonight about another mare they have. His english isn't super strong....and my spanish is significantly worse.
    Sorry.....

I'm sorry BFNE. I was really hope you would reach the trainer in time. I only hope she went to a good home.

bornfreenowexpensive is offline Supreme Procrastinator Premium Member
    Original Poster

Fingers crossed she did as well. Trainer has offered me another mare. So I will go look at her this weekend (with trailer in tow).

http://www.equibase.com/profiles/Res...872&registry=T

Pedigree:

http://www.equineline.com/Free-5X-Pe...number=6736872

another hard knocking mare...who has worked hard.
    ** The difference between genius and stupidity is genius has its limits. -- Albert Einstein **

Wow, 105 starts is not something you see often. She must be one hard knocking mare!

2 members found this post helpful.

Original Poster

Quote Originally Posted by Jleegriffith View Post
    Wow, 105 starts is not something you see often. She must be one hard knocking mare!
    That was my thought....she earned 240+K.....the hard way!
    ** The difference between genius and stupidity is genius has its limits. -- Albert Einstein **

1 members found this post helpful.

Awesome!

Original Poster

Just doing some quick research...she has some good jumping lines that I know. And I like Secretariate for sport. But had not heard of Seclusive. Looks like he was sent to stand in Holland for WB jumpers....Zangersheide. Interesting. Found one racing photo online....and she looks like she may have a hell of an engine on her.

Here were the pictures I found with google...If I get her, I will have to buy them.

http://hoofprintsinc.photoshelter.co...DAAWlSRW&GI_ID=

Great web site to search for your horses if you have any OTTBs. I keep checking to see if they have any of mine and this is the firt time I've found some of a horse I know....but they are great shots.

Gosh, makes my 75 start one look like a slacker....

LOVE HER!!!!

Quote Originally Posted by bornfreenowexpensive View Post
    Just doing some quick research...she has some good jumping lines that I know. And I like Secretariate for sport. But had not heard of Seclusive. Looks like he was sent to stand in Holland for WB jumpers....Zangersheide. Interesting. Found one racing photo online....and she looks like she may have a hell of an engine on her.

Here were the pictures I found with google...If I get her, I will have to buy them.

http://hoofprintsinc.photoshelter.co...DAAWlSRW&GI_ID=

Great web site to search for your horses if you have any OTTBs. I keep checking to see if they have any of mine and this is the firt time I've found some of a horse I know....but they are great shots.

Original Poster

Quote Originally Posted by elizabeth Callahan View Post
    Gosh, makes my 75 start one look like a slacker....
    I was thinking we may have the wrong mares...this one is grey and yours is red....

I'll know this weekend when I see her in person. But she deserves a safe place even if I do not end up using her as a broodmare. Just have to work out where I will put her for a few weeks while my barn is finished.

Clarksdale, MS--the golden buckle on the cotton belt

You will find this interesting, I think. Seclusive was the sire of Falco, an event horse who went to the WEGs in 1998 and the European Championships in 2001 for Belgium. Didn't finish well at either competition, but he finished both. His last FEI competition seems to have been in 2008, which means that he evented at FEI competitions for AT LEAST 10 years and probably at least three or four more since the record that I've seen STARTS with his WEG appearance.

Couple of other European event horses are Seclusive's grandkids through stallion sons. One is Holsteiner and the other one is sBs. Then he is second damsire of a Zangersheide jumper through a Hanoverian daughter.

His dam was a full sister of Exclusive Native.

He stood in Belgium.
    "I'm a lumberjack, and I'm okay."
    Thread killer Extraordinaire

My gray mare would not be happy to have another gray to share the princess spotlight. Just as well I ended up with red, whi is very sweet BTW, and has happily discovered mud

Original Poster

Quote Originally Posted by elizabeth Callahan View Post
    My gray mare would not be happy to have another gray to share the princess spotlight. Just as well I ended up with red, whi is very sweet BTW, and has happily discovered mud

And thanks Vinney--that is interesting.
    Last edited by bornfreenowexpensive; Dec. 20, 2012 at 02:06 PM.

OMG I love the grey mare! 105 starts is amazing. Sorry about the other one; but this one is certainly worth looking at. Post lots of pics and an update!

Just want to add, I've had several with Deputy Minister in the pedigree; all were very athletic, great jumpers, and perfectly trainable.

Just 1 data point, but my horse when I was in HS was by Seclusive.
    http://www.equineline.com/Free-5X-Pe..._number=857107

Best athlete I have ever owned--tall and rangy, great galloper and jumper. Tough as nails, too. Raced 5 yrs on the flat, then a couple more over fences. When I sold him, the PPE vet said he had the best lungs/wind he'd seen on a horse.

He was not an easy ride--strong to the point of reckless. Several good pros moved him on pretty quickly. I was just too young/ignorant to care. I doubt that was genetic though--more likely the steeplechase background then rushed into eventing.

I must have a pic somewhere.
    ETA:
    http://www.facebook.com/photo.php?fb...size=720%2C575

Original Poster

Beam--He was lovely! Not sure what this girl will look like when I see her...been in a field a few months but I'm pretty good at looking past skinny and rough to see what is under. My biggest fear is that she will be out with another horse that I will not be able to leave behind.....yes, I'm a sucker and I know it.

I love the grey mare too. Like her more than the first one. You may have lucked out!

Original Poster

So the gray mare (Kourages Kelly) was delivered to my farm today...with her pasture mate Richie the Thief. I took them both. Trainer said he would take Richie back to race some more but I think I will try and keep him if possible. He's quite cute and seems like he wants a different job than racing.

Both horses are very very skinny but both quite nice movers. Look sound too. Can't believe how clean looking the gray mare's legs are given 105 starts! Some TLC and food and both should look nice soon enough.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	008.jpg 
Views:	206 
Size:	23.5 KB 
ID:	37373  

3 members found this post helpful.

You rock. Good luck and keep posting updates!

Original Poster

Thanks Meadow...nice Christmas gift to myself. I hope they will not get sick on me going on the grass but I think they will be ok...will be watching them closely. I will slowing start feeding them some grain and do a power pack of panacur in a little while (after I get my vet out to look at them etc.).

2 members found this post helpful.