The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst ... 345

Quote Originally Posted by bornfreenowexpensive View Post
    Thanks guys. These two could use some COTH jingles. They are in really really poor shape. My vet will be out tomorrow to help with the game plan. It is going to be a bit touch and go for a few days. They are in such poor condition that I do not want to even do a panacur power pack on them without a vet's ok. How people can let horses get into this condition is just upsetting.

So please give them both some jingles to pull through get healthy.....

ETA: I'd say they are a body score of 2 (going close to 1) to give you all an idea.
    So thankful that you have them! I've gotten horses in extremely poor condition before. Banamine with just Ivermectin the first worming... because, as you already know, risk of colic. Hay, hay, hay, just simple grass hay and lots of water. I don't give grain at first... unless they've been on it. Some of these previous owners cut the hay, since it is more expensive to feed than cheap sweet feed.

And I don't pour the feed to them even after they have adjusted. I just let them gain their weight gradually, and feed them what I would feed a normal horse of size, age, etc. It takes longer.... and I'm always antsy to get them fat, but it just seems healthier that way.

I have found colic to be the biggest threat.

I'm sure I'm not saying anything you don't already know and again, what a blessing that you have found them.

1 members found this post helpful.

Adding in my sincere appreciation that you have given these horses a fresh start. Watching my run-ins being built this week I was thinking "uh oh, I see those things filling up fast . . . "

Way to go BFNE
    "Drawing on my fine command of the English language, I said nothing" - Robert Benchley
    Cotton would fight.
    http://buildingthegrove.blogspot.com/

Hey you folks with new farms! Be careful! It really is so so easy to start collecting. When I first got my farm in Michigan, I went from 2 to 6 horses in a very short time period. Then I went back down to 4, moved to Virginia where the farm is way bigger. Was up to 12 at one time and now I have a rule that I can have no more than four.

But I have an addiction problem... and I have to keep myself in the program in order to keep the numbers down. The only reason I sell horses, is because I am addicted to acquiring them. I just CANNOT keep myself from shopping.

Thanks guys. The barn isn't done yet so I had to put them in the field. I was worried about the shock to their system being on the grass but the field isn't super lush at this time. I was also worried about the alfalfa...but while they are eating some of it, they seem to prefer the grass and were happy to stay in the shed and much on the round bale I put in there. (note to self...make sure my construction guys put on gutters on the shed!!!). I'm just giving them a few handfuls of a grain for now. Mostly for them to come up when I call and let me check them over. I figure it will take me a few weeks or longer to increase their food to a normal amount and don't plan to feed them more than a normal amount....that and all the good quality hay/pasture I can get them to eat!!! I'm going to talk to my vet about whether I can blanket them over the rain rot....the temps are dropping next week and I'd rather they not spend any energy keeping warm!
    ** The difference between genius and stupidity is genius has its limits. -- Albert Einstein **

Vet thinks they will be fine. He put them with a BSC of 2. They are getting a small amount of feed twice a day and I will very slowly increase it to a normal amount. They were across the field this afternoon. I called and the mare started trotting over to me, then the gelding realizing what was up, called to her and came running. They galloped--racing over to me....enough that with the mud I was worried they wouldn't be able to stop! (Mare won easily ) Richie pulled up a bit sooner but the grey mare blasted on by me then eased up slowly with lap around the shed and trotted politely up to me. Yeah...she's a pro.

Made me very happy to see them feel good enough to blast across the field...and happier to see them smart enough not to run me down or do sliding stops in the mud Here is how they look now (or yesterday). I'll post pictures in a while when they are filled out.

There was a young hawk trapped in my barn tonight when I was showing my vet around....I let him/her out. Very cool fierce looking animals up close...I'm hoping it is a good sign
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	001.jpg 
Views:	159 
Size:	16.3 KB 
ID:	37382   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	002.jpg 
Views:	171 
Size:	14.5 KB 
ID:	37383  
    ** The difference between genius and stupidity is genius has its limits. -- Albert Einstein **

2 members found this post helpful.

I'm definitely late to this party, but kudos from me as well.

What I can't help but commenting upon though is: YOUR VET CAME OUT FOR A NON-EMERGENCY ON CHRISTMAS?!!!
    "Everyone will start to cheer, when you put on your sailin shoes"-Lowell George

What's the status on Tuco?

Quote Originally Posted by Toadie's mom View Post
    I'm definitely late to this party, but kudos from me as well.

What I can't help but commenting upon though is: YOUR VET CAME OUT FOR A NON-EMERGENCY ON CHRISTMAS?!!!
    Best vet ever. He's a really good guy and wanted to see the new farm. I'm glad he did because I doubt I would have found the hawk locked in the hay loft if he hadn't wanted a tour of the new barn (still under construction but we are getting close!).

BFNE-you are certainly my hero!!

Is there anything you need for these guys in the meantime?

I'm so glad you were able to help out these two. I believe in good karma and that your act of kindness will repay itself many times over.

Now someone needs to get Top Partner. I was eyeing him. My barn is full and my bank account empty, so I need to live vicariously through someone else!

I brought home a TB who was in similar condition this summer. Caved in flanks, scrawny neck as well. Dewormed w/ Quest, kept good hay in front of him, I offered buckeye wrangler (a complete pelleted feed, alfalfa based) as well as Ultium. Never more than 4 lbs Ultium/day. 12 weeks later he blossomed.

So just to up date everyone. Horses are doing great. They have really started to put on weight. yeah...broke down and put blankets on them when really cold or wet. As this video shows...they are feeling pretty good right now

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zZaUclugBnY

Still no water on the farm (oh the joys of construction). So I've been hauling the water into the farm in the back of my car in a bunch of 5 gallon containers. Fun. So it was really troubling to me that I would get their trough all clean and come back and the water would look muddy. I was thinking it was my construction guys but it was still happening even when I knew they were not doing any work near the horses. Well...solved that mystery today.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Y-ODlrXer9M

Thanks Richie...maybe he does want to be an event horse! I'll have to set the trough up higher so maybe he stops getting in it!!!!

3 members found this post helpful.

Yay for happy update! So Richie is staying with you?
    Delaware Park Canter Volunteer
    http://www.canterusa.org/

Oh boy. I feel your pain. I have a mare that's gotten in the water trough for the last 14 yrs. Since it's just her and the mini-donk together now, I took out the 100 gal. tank. Replaced it with half of a 50 gal. plastic barrel. Much easier to clean! I tried rigging a "lid" on the big trough, but she just tore that up.

If you come up with a brilleant idea, let me know!
    "Everyone will start to cheer, when you put on your sailin shoes"-Lowell George

What's the status on Tuco?

Quote Originally Posted by kcmel View Post
    Yay for happy update! So Richie is staying with you?

I hope so...still working on it.

OMG, BRNE! Those two are too cute! I love the little game of chase they play...then...stock still. Then it's kick up the heels again! Love it.

It's good to see them just being horses.

They look great!

That video makes me smile!
    "Drawing on my fine command of the English language, I said nothing" - Robert Benchley
    Cotton would fight.
    http://buildingthegrove.blogspot.com/