The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Default Another Canter Cutie

Older model...but a lot to like about this mare:

http://www.canterusa.org/index.php?o...ngs&Itemid=283

Anyone have any thoughts on her pedigree?

http://www.pedigreequery.com/dont+push+it2

Legs look pretty good for 57 starts.

http://www.equibase.com/profiles/Res...828&registry=T
    ** The difference between genius and stupidity is genius has its limits. -- Albert Einstein **

1 members found this post helpful.

That is a great pedigree for eventing!

Deputy Minister, Alydar, Graustark, Hail to Reason and Gallant Man are all great!!

Rocket

I love this gal

She's lovely!

bornfreenowexpensive is offline Supreme Procrastinator Premium Member
    Original Poster

Great....I like her too. She's near by and the right price. Ugh. I don't need another horse but she is sort of calling to me.....so I may need to call on her unless another COTHer makes the call first
    ** The difference between genius and stupidity is genius has its limits. -- Albert Einstein **

I'm just going to say that she is one that really could use a soft place to land because the trainer she is with doesn't value the horses as much as some other trainers do. She has always seemed like a nice mare.

Original Poster

Quote Originally Posted by Jleegriffith View Post
    I'm just going to say that she is one that really could use a soft place to land because the trainer she is with doesn't value the horses as much as some other trainers do. She has always seemed like a nice mare.
    That's the feeling I got. I tried to call but it goes right into voice mail and the voice mail is full. I worry she could end up in the wrong hands and at auction.

I'd take her right away, just need a place to put her for a couple of weeks until my barn is done. Any suggestions as to how to reach them?

Original Poster

Just sent a text. Fingers crossed she hasn't ended up with that April chick....

BFEN- I will see if we can track him down. I thought I used to have an email address but can't find it right now.

Adding my vote to the love her column.

Can somebody educate me about an ad for a 2004 mare stating that she's just too slow to race? Seems like too slow to race is why a 4-year-old would for sale.

Not an observation, just a question. BFNE it seems you know 500x more than me about such things.
    Shut up! You look fine! --Judybigredpony
    Ms. Brazil

Original Poster

Quote Originally Posted by gr8fulrider View Post
    Adding my vote to the love her column.

Can somebody educate me about an ad for a 2004 mare stating that she's just too slow to race? Seems like too slow to race is why a 4-year-old would for sale.

Not an observation, just a question. BFNE it seems you know 500x more than me about such things.
    I'm looking at her as a broodmare. So not too concerned with whether she is still sound for riding. If she is, most she will do is maybe a mare performance test when I get her approved with a WB registry. But really, most she will likely do with me is go trail riding if has a good mind. I would like to play with her enough to get a feel for her mind and what she may pass to her offspring so I can pick the right stallion. (But she looks like she needs a bit of a vacation). She has an interesting pedigree with a balance of more tough minded lines with ones known to be more tractable.

She had 23 starts last year...and won 20K. She had 11 starts this year and never hit the board (winning around 2K). I'm not sure why they kept running her....perhaps she is easy to have around the barn. Just on a quick look, she's traded hands a few times including her breeder claiming her back at least once.

Original Poster

Quote Originally Posted by Jleegriffith View Post
    BFEN- I will see if we can track him down. I thought I used to have an email address but can't find it right now.
    Thanks.

Quote Originally Posted by mkevent View Post
    That is a great pedigree for eventing!

Deputy Minister, Alydar, Graustark, Hail to Reason and Gallant Man are all great!!
    Agree 100% plus I really like her looks.

Go get her!
    A week ago today I made a rash decision to throw my trailer behind the truck and race to the track to grab a mare before anything bad could happen to her.

My grandfather was dying that day. I tried to talk to the trainer/owner of this mare http://fingerlakesfinesttbs.com/cati...y-mare-15-2-h/ but his English is about as good as my Spanish and all he really wanted to know was how soon could I get there with a trailer.
    I knew anyone could have grabbed her and gone straight to an auction and there was NO way I was letting that happen!
    I arrived home with her that evening at 5:30 and at 9:30 I got the news that Grandpa was gone.
    Cat is turning out to be wonderful and well worth everything we have and will do for her. The boy at he track who handed me a lead rope said "She is amazing" and I couldn't agree more.

Go grab this girl, I bet she will not make you sorry!

2 members found this post helpful.

Clarksdale, MS--the golden buckle on the cotton belt

I wouldn't. Not for a broodmare. She's kin in an odd way to my Bud. He's a Deputy Minister grandson on top and has Graustark and Glorious Spring together on the bottom (full sister to Squire), along with another line to Graustark. He's also got Sea-Bird and Honest Pleasure to add, which this mare doesn't. Now it's true that she has some lovely lines that he lacks, but Bud seems to me to have the least potential as an eventer that one can imagine. He just doesn't have the brain for it.

Also, I had a mare by the same Deputy Minister son as Bud (damside was Seattle Slew and an Argentine mare named Boyera). She is now not quite 8, and has arthritic hocks that are so bad she is in the waiting to fuse stage and cannot be worked hard. Not sure about Bud's hocks, since he will only begin work this month. My equine vet, who breeds for the Keeneland sales with relatively high stud fee stallions, said that in the TB breeding circles there is talk of hock problems in the Deputy Minister line.

I happen to think that Deputy Minister is not a line for event horses for breeding.

That said, she herself obviously didn't have bad hocks to have raced as much as she did--one would think.
    Last edited by vineyridge; Dec. 17, 2012 at 11:17 PM.
    "I'm a lumberjack, and I'm okay."
    Thread killer Extraordinaire

I love her.
    "Kindness is free" ~ Eurofoal
    ---
    The CoTH CYA - please consult w/your veterinarian under any and all circumstances.

Quote Originally Posted by Cornerpost View Post
    Go get her!
    A week ago today I made a rash decision to throw my trailer behind the truck and race to the track to grab a mare before anything bad could happen to her.

My grandfather was dying that day. I tried to talk to the trainer/owner of this mare http://fingerlakesfinesttbs.com/cati...y-mare-15-2-h/ but his English is about as good as my Spanish and all he really wanted to know was how soon could I get there with a trailer.
    I knew anyone could have grabbed her and gone straight to an auction and there was NO way I was letting that happen!
    I arrived home with her that evening at 5:30 and at 9:30 I got the news that Grandpa was gone.
    Cat is turning out to be wonderful and well worth everything we have and will do for her. The boy at he track who handed me a lead rope said "She is amazing" and I couldn't agree more.

Go grab this girl, I bet she will not make you sorry!
    Cornerpost, my condolences for your loss. But his spirit wanted you to go get Cat, and give her as good a life as he had with you as part of it. He will live on through her.
    And if OP gets the mare she has her eyes on and gives her the good life she deserves, she too will be richly rewarded.
    The Finger Lakes Finest Trainer Listing Service
    http://fingerlakesfinesttbs.com
    Find us on Facebook:
    http://www.facebook.com/FingerLakesF...oroughbredsInc

Original Poster

Quote Originally Posted by vineyridge View Post
    I happen to think that Deputy Minister is not a line for event horses for breeding.

That said, she herself obviously didn't have bad hocks to have raced as much as she did--one would think.
    Not sure I agree with you on DM. I have a grandson of Deputy Minister with a LOVELY brain. Bold xc and sensible...and very smart. Super easy to ride. Hocks were clean as a whistle on his PPE.

But interesting on your Bud being somewhat related....although I really like this mare. There are a lot of other lines...and I strongly believe in judging the individual.

It may all be moot anyway. If I don't hear back from the trainer....I've tried to reach them a few ways and will try tomorrow again.

Pedigree on my other boy (with Deputy Minister--he had 7 starts, legs clean)

http://www.pedigreequery.com/blame+it+on+bush
    Last edited by bornfreenowexpensive; Dec. 17, 2012 at 10:03 PM.

If I was looking I'd snap her up. Just LOVE her!! I saw her today on FB. Hope you can get her and let us know how it goes with her!

Clarksdale, MS--the golden buckle on the cotton belt

BFNE, you may be right about Deputy Minister Potential. He's grandsire on top of Exponential, Cult Hero, and two pretty darned good current 2* horses. All by different sons. The only common thread is among all of them seems to be RAN on the bottom of the son--except for Exponential. No daughters who have produced for the FEI level yet; and only one by each son, although Cult Hero certainly was one of the best Irish sires of event horses.

Bud looks just like Deputy Minister; very compact in the body, and plain bay. If you go to Sport Horse Breed Database, and put in Deputy Minister, Bud looks just like the glamour photo of his granddad.
    "I'm a lumberjack, and I'm okay."
    Thread killer Extraordinaire