The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Default Old man has diarrhea.. :( help

I have an older TB gelding and about a month ago noticed some dried and crusty diarrhea around his butt cheeks and down the back of his legs. He is acting normal, excited to eat his grain and hay and cleans it all up. He is wormed regularly. In the past I had a diarrhea issue with another horse and I was instructed to give him some yogurt once a day mixed in with his grain. This would help with the " good bacteria" and sure enough, his runny situation was cleared up in a few days 9 who knows if it was actually the yogurt). I tried this with my older guy for 12 days, yougurt in the morning, and he STILL has the runs. When he poops the actual manure is somewhat solid but he has the liquid grossness that either comes first or last or both. Are there any other over the counter ideas? The vet comes out later this week. I just want him to feel better
    Tinker Toy & Blue Bonnett

Default Be Pro-active ` dehydration can result quickly ~ vet should have meds to help Jingles

While some older horses are prone to "Hersey squirts" because of weather changes ( as well as other reasons) please be pro-active and get meds from vet ~

Dehydration happens as quickly as "$hit happens"

Jingles & AO ~
    Zu Zu Bailey " IT"S A WONDERFUL LIFE !"

Have you changed hay recently? Hay high in fructans can really cause butt juice and machine gun farts.

Also I would get him on a good probiotic such as Fastrak, and chat with the vet about using some Diarsanyl Plus. Great product and I keep it on hand for the very old and the very young....just in case! Just like when we weaned calves and what was left of Sandy made its way in the area. A couple calves got a bit runny with the weather change and being started on feed. One round of Diarsanyl Plus and they were good to go.

Running a fecal would not hurt either despite his prior worming history.

yes, agree with the fecal and deworming. My gelding had issues when I bought him that were cleared up by a power pak, change in environment to one with less stress and a good probiotic. I talked to my vet and would encourage a conversation. Hasn't had any reoccurance in a year, knock on wood. He also gained weight on this program.

In my research I ran across the most common causes: ulcers, stress/IBS, parasites, change in food.

Of course discuss with your vet, but you may also want to look at doing a course of Bio-Sponge.

2 members found this post helpful.

A friend's 30+++ pony developed severe diarrhea. With the Vet's blessings, she dosed the pony with Fastrack paste, then followed up with the daily powder mixed in with the feed. It did the trick in just a few days.
    “There are two ways to conquer and enslave a nation. One is by the sword. The other is by debt.”
    John Adams

Quote Originally Posted by WARDen View Post
    I have an older TB gelding and about a month ago noticed some dried and crusty diarrhea around his butt cheeks and down the back of his legs. He is acting normal, excited to eat his grain and hay and cleans it all up. He is wormed regularly. In the past I had a diarrhea issue with another horse and I was instructed to give him some yogurt once a day mixed in with his grain. This would help with the " good bacteria" and sure enough, his runny situation was cleared up in a few days 9 who knows if it was actually the yogurt). I tried this with my older guy for 12 days, yougurt in the morning, and he STILL has the runs. When he poops the actual manure is somewhat solid but he has the liquid grossness that either comes first or last or both. Are there any other over the counter ideas? The vet comes out later this week. I just want him to feel better

My now 30 yo had a similar case (normal looking manure followed by watery stuff) a couple of years ago. AND was losing weight.

My vet explained that, as they get older, one part of the digestive tract stops working efficiently, which leads to this problem.

He suggested switching to a senior feed (which can be effectively digested in the part of the system that keeps working) supplemented by (rice bran) oil (along with hay and pasture).

Under this feeding plan, he doesn't get diarhea, and he stays at a good weight - though I do have to up his feed considerably in the winter.
    Janet

chief feeder and mucker for Music, Spy, Belle and Tiara. Someone else is now feeding and mucking for Chief and Brain (both foxhunting now).

I recently overheard my vet mention that watery manure can be a sign of sand in the intestine.
    Just because you’re afraid, doesn’t mean you’re in danger. Just because you feel alone, doesn’t mean nobody loves you. Just because you think you might fail, doesn’t mean you will.

Quote Originally Posted by D Taylor View Post
    Have you changed hay recently? Hay high in fructans can really cause butt juice and machine gun farts.

This made me LOL ... very apt description !!

Saccharomyces boulardii.

http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/16190596

You can buy it online from Swanson or look in GMC type health stores. I just bought it from Swanson; very reasonable. Dose is 3 capsules twice daily, but I recommend confirming with your vet before starting.

Quote Originally Posted by Janet View Post
    My vet explained that, as they get older, one part of the digestive tract stops working efficiently, which leads to this problem.

He suggested switching to a senior feed (which can be effectively digested in the part of the system that keeps working) supplemented by (rice bran) oil (along with hay and pasture).
    This has been my experience as well -- as horses get older, they are unable to effectively digest roughage that they were previously able to eat without any problems.

I've found that giving them high quality hay (2nd cutting timothy or good orchard grass -- something that is nice and leafy, and not the least bit "stemmy") helps immensely. Switching to a senior feed or simply adding beet pulp to the diet also helps.

With my oldsters, I've done the sand clear, probiotics and prebiotics, various deworming protocals, etc. Changing to a more easily digested food has been the most effective for me.

Good luck.