The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Default Anyone have Bipolar Disorder in the family?

Last edited by WingsOfAnAngel; Dec. 18, 2012 at 05:02 PM.

Bi-polar can be treated quite successfully. Don't let yourself worry about "what if". If you do begin to show symptoms, you have enough knowledge and strength that you know you need to get yourself to a doctor. Being bi-polar doesn't have to be like what you've seen your family exhibit.

NJR
    Your beliefs don't make you a better person, your behaviour does.

Agree with NJR...I have a younger cousin who is bipolar who does 100% fine on medication to balance everything out for her. Nobody would ever know she has that imbalance unless she tells them.

Knowing that there is bipolar in the family and seeing how untreated bipolar can affect people...*if* it happens with you, you'll know to have it treated and be fine.

And don't feel badly at your age that you're not taking care of anyone.
    You jump in the saddle,
    Hold onto the bridle!
    Jump in the line!
    ...Belefonte

1 members found this post helpful.

Wings, my mother has BPD, my Brother has BPD, we think my grandfather may've had it, but it was before the time when that kind of thing was generally diagnosed (I'm 31, so my g-pa was perhaps a generation before your grandparents) and he had other problems to boot (alcoholism being the worst).

I believe BPD doesn't need to leave someone in the type of situation you are talking about, but it depends on many factors (the type of BPD, the willingness of the person to seek and follow consistent treatment, and the doctors/psychs they see). I forget which type is worse (there is Type 1 and Type 2) but my Mom has the less severe kind. She still gave me an incredible childhood despite the fact that she wasn't diagnosed until I was in college (so she never had meds as I grew up). I remember her being moody, yes, but she still was a wonderful mother.

My brother, on the other hand, has the more severe kind. He was just diagnosed a couple of years ago and is very inconsistent in taking his meds. His life has spiralled downward hardcore and unfortunately, I don't see an end to it.

Also unfortunate - my fiance's ex-wife has the more severe version of bi-polar. She is one who also does not consistently take meds. She reminds me of my brother in a lot of ways. She and my fiance had 2 sons from their marriage. Since she is the mom, she got primary custody of both when they divorced. She has essentially raised the boys, and they both have emotional issues of different sorts because of the very inconsistent treatment they've received under her care. The now 10-year-old is in our custody now because his behavior problems got so severe she couldn't handle him anymore. His older brother (now 13) has told us he cannot stand living with his mom anymore and wants to come live with us starting this Summer. We will welcome him with open arms....

That's a little off track, but the point being that *if* treatment isn't followed, this kind of thing can tear a family apart. I feel for you - I really, really feel for you. But, *if* treatment is followed and you have a good team of people working with you, you can still have a wonderful life and be a great person (as my Mom is).

I hope this gives you a little comfort. {{Wings}}

Edited to add:

Btw, I do not have bi-polar. Having it run in the family increases the risk, yes, but if I remember correctly, it's like a 25% likelihood, maybe not even that, if your dad did not have it. So the odds are in your favor.

Also, PLEASE do not feel as though you should be taking care of anyone. I say this not only because of your young age (you should be living a relatively care-free life - enjoy it while you can!), but also because people with BPD (and I'm sure some other disorders) simply cannot be forced to do anything they, themselves, do not want to do. My entire family has tried to help my Brother in numerous ways. He pretty literally will not allow anyone to help him, at least not to the point of actually being better. My fiance went through the same thing with his ex-wife. It is unfortunate, but it is not something anyone can really "help" with or "take care of." It's nice for them to know that people care about them, but please don't put the pressure on yourself to help them, because they will make their own decisions on that.

1 members found this post helpful.

Amen to Classy Ride's last paragraph. My step brother has bipolar and has since his teens. His mother and grandfather did too. I don't know if he takes his meds or not, but he has essentially alienated himself and his family from the rest of us due to his total inability to own responsibility for himself and his problems. He blames everyone else and has been so incredibly abusive to our dad, me, and my sister.

Take care of yourself and treat yourself well. You should not and cannot take responsibility, especially at your age, for how other people choose to take care of themselves (or not). Hugs.
    What's wrong with you?? Your cheese done slid off its cracker?!?!