The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Default prilosec vs gastrogard/ulcergard

was wondering - since prilosec contains omeprazole - primary ingrediant in the major ulcer medications - can it be given in place of GG and UG?

I understand the coating issue for the outside of the pills and the digestion of substances with coatings - would crushing the pills and putting them in applesauce be of benefit.

i'm not planning on doing this, jussssst wondering. i take prilosec and there are times when i get great deals. I've done the math and would cut cost in half with standard prices of gastrogard.

any opinions? thanks

Crushing the pills and putting them in applesauce would render them ineffective.

Also, I did the cost analysis of OTC prilosec and the cost/day is almost that of GG/UG in order to get the same amount of omeprazole into the horse. That, in addition to the pain of getting quite a few pills whole into the horse makes it really a PITA to do.

ETA: it actually costs MORE to treat with OTC tablets. See my post below with the math.
    "If you think nobody cares about you, try missing a couple payments..."

Treatment dose is 2.28 grams, or ~2280 mgs of omeprazole, daily.

Walmart, OTC omeprazole tablets, 42 ct box (20 mg tablets), costs $16.97.

42 ct * 20 mg tablets = 840 mg per box
    $16.97/840 mg = $0.0202 / mg of omeprazole

2280 mgs daily * $0.0202 = $46.06 per day to treat with OTC omeprazole.

On top of that, you would need to administer 114 tablets whole.

Quote Originally Posted by SuckerForHorses View Post
    Treatment dose is 2.28 grams, or ~2280 mgs of omeprazole, daily.

Walmart, OTC omeprazole tablets, 42 ct box (20 mg tablets), costs $16.97.

42 ct * 20 mg tablets = 840 mg per box
    $16.97/840 mg = $0.0202 / mg of omeprazole

2280 mgs daily * $0.0202 = $46.06 per day to treat with OTC omeprazole.

On top of that, you would need to administer 114 tablets whole.
    Question -why does crushing them make them ineffective? Is it the coating issue? Cost-understand your math......should take my CVS receipt to walmart - that's with all my store coupons discount. Thanks for ur reply!

We've had good success with the compounded omeprazole. Very inexpensive, already a powder, just pack in a carrot and you're good to go!

1 members found this post helpful.

Quote Originally Posted by Bastile View Post
    Question -why does crushing them make them ineffective? Is it the coating issue? Cost-understand your math......should take my CVS receipt to walmart - that's with all my store coupons discount. Thanks for ur reply!
    Without the coating, the omeprazole will not make it through the stomach and will be rendered ineffective.

There is no need to reinvent the wheel here. Use Gastrogard or use one of the plethora of compounded products. Treatment dose of omeprazole is available from Precision Pharmacy for ~$250/month or just over 8 bucks a day.

And, if you really think you can treat with people omeprazole for $15 a day? Your math is wrong. There's just no way. Even with discounts.

no need to get huffy!!!

like i said - i'm not doing this - just idle wonderings while i clean stalls. and yes - i can get it at said price.

thanks for your input.

I'm not going to look into the math, but just an FYI that if you were to open the capsules and sprinkle them on applesauce, they would still have the enteric coating on them (the little round things inside of the capsules). Not sure if you were thinking of the capsules or the tablets.
    Quote Originally Posted by rustbreeches View Post
    [George Morris] doesn't always drink beer, but when he does, he prefers Dos Equis

Quote Originally Posted by Bastile View Post
    no need to get huffy!!!

like i said - i'm not doing this - just idle wonderings while i clean stalls. and yes - i can get it at said price.

thanks for your input.
    I don't recall seeing the price you can get it at...? Cheaper than the Walmart price I posted?

You get what you pay for... Gastrogard is still under patten. The carrying agent is what makes GG so effective. It is passed through the stomach of the horse where it can be digested/absorbed by the small intestine. Even compounded omeprazole will not carry the same components as GG (ie patten protected). Some people claim to see results from compounded products. Not all omeprazoles are created equal. I will try to find some scientific literature on this info... but this is what is taught in veterinary school.

I think you mean patent, not patten. Also, one sales rep told me it was a tradesecret, not a patent. If it's a patent, eventually, the patent will expire and generics can become available. If it's a tradesecret, we're at the mercy of Merial forever!

IIRC, as it's been awhile since I read through the patent, there is nothing about how they buffer or protect the omeprazole. All it discusses is a paste formula.

So yeah, I think you might be right, jherold, on the trade secret versus patent thing.

1. Regardless of cost, feeding 114 tablets daily = a practicality nightmare.

2. Unless you can beat about $3.50-$4.50 per day, you aren't beating the daily cost of the Abprazole granules, aka "blue pop rocks" aka "the coated omeprazole granules sent from overseas." And considering it's just a tablespoon or so of granules instead of wrangling with 114 tablets (either whole or in powder form), it's just a smarter solution overall.

And of course, that's without considering the dozens of other omeprazole pastes and powders out there.

Patent comes off Merial's product in 2014, IIRC. The FDA kind of frowns on "trade secrets".

The omeprazole CAPSULES are full of itty bitty beads of enterically coated omeprazole, so opening a capsule and feeding it promptly (don't let it sit and get wet for ages) should work fine. Pretty much this is what you've got with the blue pop rocks.
    Click here before you buy.

wow - if the patent comes off then the price will go down - that wwill make a lot of people happy!

The price will go down, but probably not immediately and not far at first. Still, every bit helps and it will be a welcome option for many!
    Click here before you buy.

I think most of the OTC omeprazole are the tablet form, so would need to be fed whole. I found that I could shoot whole Ranitidine tablets down the hatch by reusing an UlcerGard paste tube as a, what is it, bolus? Like the things they use for cows. Anywho, I could only fit about 5 at a time, so had to do this three times to get them all down. But doing this for 114 tablets..? No thanks!

I am taking omeprazole that was called into the pharmacy, and those are capsules with the little granules inside.

Either way, what a pain in the behind!

Meanwhile, my pop rocks finally came, and my mare is eating 3 packets sprinkled on her veggie oil covered TC 30% pellets. Now, everyone cross their fingers that she gets back to 100% because this mare is driving me INSANE with her ulcer issues!!!

Omeprozole at COSTCO is $14 for 42 (20 mg)!!!! Worth the trip.

You would still have to feed 114 of them a day... and, the cost is still $38.00 per day. So, no, not really worth the trip, when you can find UlcerGard on sale for cheaper than that.

42 ct. * 20 mg = 840 mg per box

$14.00 / 840 mg = $.0167/mg

$.0167 * 2280 mg per day for treatment = ~$38.00

and you're still having to feed 114 tablets whole, daily.