The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Default Crosby Centennial- Looking for one or something similar, need advice.

Hi
    I've had 2 Centennials over the years and love them. I'm currently looking for one with a forward flap, but am having a hard time finding [one in my size]. I figured I'd open up the search to other saddles so I'm looking for suggestions on what to try that is similar. I find the Centennial extremely comfortable and they seem to fit a variety of my horses and client horses.
    Looking to stay under $1,000.
    Thanks in advance!
    Last edited by Moderator 1; Dec. 17, 2012 at 03:36 PM. Reason: remove size specifics

Quote Originally Posted by sportinghorsepolo View Post
    Hi
    I've had 2 Centennials over the years and love them. I'm currently looking for one with a forward flap, but am having a hard time finding [one in my size]. I figured I'd open up the search to other saddles so I'm looking for suggestions on what to try that is similar. I find the Centennial extremely comfortable and they seem to fit a variety of my horses and client horses.
    Looking to stay under $1,000.
    Thanks in advance!
    I'm no help in finding one, but I just wanted to add that I miss my centennial too! I sold [one] for $500 a few years ago, what was I thinking?! Ending up getting back the horse it fit and being unable to replace the saddle! Now I have a Pessoa for that horse and it's not the same.
    Last edited by Moderator 1; Dec. 17, 2012 at 03:37 PM.

Not a Centennial but at least [edit] & Crosby
    Classic - it's listed at Foxhunter so you might enquire
    (Alan will likely be able to comment on similarities/differences between the 2 models)
    Rick's has a couple of [edit] Softrides, so you might try one on demo, I suspect there are more of these out there ... but long, forward flap will always be "optioned" rather than "stock" so numbers are limited to start with.

Online tackshops were clearing out old Crosby stock a couple years ago, you may find what you're looking for in shops that don't have online sites or aren't paying Google etc for the listings.
    Last edited by Moderator 1; Dec. 17, 2012 at 03:39 PM.

Check out the Exselle Axcess on sale for dirt cheap at Rick's Heritage Saddlery.

It's minimalist and well-balanced like the Centennial.
    The armchair saddler
    Politically Pro-Cat

Quote Originally Posted by mvp View Post
    Check out the Exselle Axcess on sale for dirt cheap at Rick's Heritage Saddlery.

It's minimalist and well-balanced like the Centennial.
    Do you find the Axcess to have a rather straight flap (I think AP when I look at them) - I wanted to like Exselle much more that I did (local shops had some new & used) ... OTOH for $699, if it fits the horse, alot might be forgiven

The Great White North, where we get taxed out the wazoo

There was a gal on the Ontario FB with one not super long ago in amazing shape. Will see if I can chase it up...

The Great White North, where we get taxed out the wazoo

Quote Originally Posted by alto View Post
    Do you find the Axcess to have a rather straight flap (I think AP when I look at them) - I wanted to like Exselle much more that I did (local shops had some new & used) ... OTOH for $699, if it fits the horse, alot might be forgiven
    I think the flap is a little straight and small. In your spot, I'd start by measuring the flap of a saddle that I had and liked. To me, the relevant measurements are

Stirrup bar to bottom of the flap.

Horizontal distance from where the stirrup leather would hand to the front edge of the flap, as the point where the flap is most forward.

You might sound like a wacko asking someone else to take these measurements for you, but they will help.
    The armchair saddler
    Politically Pro-Cat

I had an Axcess and found the flap too straight for jumping fences of any height or width. I am long femured. It was a great saddle for the price.
    Proud Member of the "Tidy Rabbit Tinfoil Hat Wearers" clique and the "I'm in my 30's and Hope to be a Good Rider Someday" clique