The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Default 25' flannels - where to find?

Our Pony Club kids are having a bandaging clinic and needed 25' long flannels for shipping bandages. Any tips on where to purchase? Will need to have velcro closure tabs.
    Alison Howard
    Homestead Farms, Maryland www.freshorganicvegetables.com

My vet insisted on these at one point and boy oh boy did I have a dickens of a time finding them. I think I eventually found them at Dover.

The irony is, once I got them I hated them and I always use regular stretchy standing bandages now. Don't tell the vet
    ~Veronica
    "The Son Dee Times" "Sustained" "Somerset" "Franklin Square"
    http://photobucket.com/albums/y192/vxf111/

25'? Talk about useless overkill! I use flannel for standing wraps. I buy http://www.fennells.com/store/produc...54&i2=&r2=154& and tear my own and pin them with bandage pins. You could just buy heavy flannel at the fabric store and tear your own as well, you will need 8 1/3 yards.

Sew two bandages together or make your own. They do need to be LONG to do a shipping wrap, but 25' sounds excessive. We weren't allowed to use velcro either!

PC doesn't require you to have Velcro closures--using bandage pins and tape is actually slightly preferred in most cases.

Fabric store... buy 25 ft. of flannel and tear your own. I've personally never seen 25' bandages for sale... you could mummy wrap the whole horse!
    Don't fall for a girl who fell for a horse just to be number two in her world... ~EFO

1 members found this post helpful.

Hi Bennson, Jack's Manufacturing (www.jacksmfg.com) has them,item #975 6"x20'
    lots of other sizes, with velcro.
    Last edited by csaper58; Dec. 18, 2012 at 12:11 AM. Reason: incorrect spelling

All the flannels I have are ones that I ripped(way before the days of velcro). We used masking tape to fasten them. I know mine are not 25 feet. The roll would be so big kids would hardly be able to hold them.

Quote Originally Posted by csaper58 View Post
    Hi Bennson, Jack's Manufacturing (www.jacksmfg.com) has them,item #975 6"x20'
    lots of other sizes, with velcro.
    Perfect. THis is just what we needed. Our local tack shop can get them in. Thank you.
    Alison Howard
    Homestead Farms, Maryland www.freshorganicvegetables.com

Quote Originally Posted by Benson View Post
    Perfect. THis is just what we needed. Our local tack shop can get them in. Thank you.
    Pony Club recommends 12-16 foot for shipping. Flannel or knit is okay. A common suggestion and it is only a suggestion from some of the NE's is to do 20 feet or two regular bandages stitched together. The reason is to make it easier for kids to get the pressure even until they become more practiced with shorter, regular length bandages. Closures for testings can be pins or velcro. con't forget to show how to put on masking tape.

There is NOT a single "this way only" in pony club. Refer to either Susan Harris's Bandaging guide or use the resources on the website. The website has been revamped and is current for the certification requirements.

My daughter recently did her HA which has the highest level of bandaging with regular polyester knit bandages stitched together. Other daughter chose different materials and was fine at the C-3. It really is about knowing how to do all types and all materials but not about having to buy new. It is a good idea to teach them how to make a padded wrap. That is knowledge that's hard to learn anywhere else but does come in handy.