The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Default Recommendations for shatterproof glasses/ plates?

I'd like to get some nice glasses/ plates to move my daughter up from kiddie stuff- that our whole family can use. Acrylic or other glasses? I would love some recommendations. Also dishes we can use for eating outside in the summer.

The seasonal aisle at Walmart has lots of this, and probably still has leftovers, plus Target has a bunch of plastic plates and glasses too. Most grocery stores with a household section have plastic/acrylic glasses and maybe plates. The Tervis double wall glasses and tumblers keep everything cold, and come with all types of specialty emblems for teams, or seasonal themes. Most grocery or discount stores have acrylic, and you can get them online through Amazon or directly (one was called Clearly Acrylic-I thought that was a neat name, and I own some of their tall steins too).
    You can't fix stupid-Ron White

Corelle http://www.corelle.com/ comes in plenty of nice patterns these days for everyday dishes and I like JanM's suggestions for tumblers and glasses.
    Originally Posted by Alagirl
    We just love to shame poor people...when in reality, we are all just peasants.

1 members found this post helpful.

I second Corelle. We have a little one who often "helps" with the dishes (read: flinging them out of the dishwasher) and we have yet to have one shatter. I broke one, but it simply split in half,not 12 millions pieces like glass. I won't buy anything else.
    Quote Originally Posted by MistyBlue View Post
    I prefer them outside playing as opposed to standing in the barn aisle playing "I can crap more than you"
    New Year, New Blog... follow Willow and I here.

Ditto good ol' Corelle. They are breakable but you really have to work at it.... or drop it from a good height onto the cast iron burner covers on your stove. Ask me how I know LOL
    <>< Sorrow Looks Back. Worry Looks Around. Faith Looks Up! -- "When they try to tell you these are your Golden years, don't believe 'em.... It's rust."

Thank you! I will definitely look into Corelle and check out the holiday clearance aisle at the grocery store.

For huge sets of Corelle (including patterns I never knew existed) go to one of the Corelle/Revere wear outlets. They have huge sets of entire place settings, and patterns that are different from the Walmart or store sets. The prices are great too. They also have a lot of kitchen type cooking sets cheap, and things you don't find elsewhere, like huge casserole dishes. Where I used to live it was about 30 minutes to this tiny outlet place that had a Corning outlet, and the prices were well worth the drive. In fact, I replaced my original Corelle wear with a huge set of 12 place settings, bought a big set of 12 each of the stainless steel knife/fork/spoon sets, and some nice covered, microwaveable bowls for dog water bowls, and saved a bundle.

To see where they are just go to: www.mallseeker.com, and either look at an entire state, or type the name of the store you want, and check the box for outlet malls only. Don't forget to look at neighboring states, because the closest one to me was in Florida, and I'm in Alabama. It will show what else is at the mall, and the phone number so you can check the hours, and if they still exist.
    You can't fix stupid-Ron White

We have some Walmart tumblers that have worn pretty well, they look a lot like Libby glasses but hey hey, they bounce! They are a nice enough style I feel comfortable using them for guests.
    Courageous Weenie Eventer Wannabe
    Incredible Invisible

Hollowed out volcano in the South Pacific.

I bought some great double-walled glasses from WalMart. Nice and durable they are.
    Thus do we growl that our big toes have,
    at this moment, been thrown up from below!

Yep I have my moms hand me down corelles. They are at least 25 years old, still look good and have never broke or chipped one.

I recently got some acrylic drinking glasses at kohls and love them. Not only are they unbreakable they are also lightweight