The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default New fall out from Obamacare... and PLUS for job creation he will claim credit for...

Overheard at Walmart a couple days ago.. Most if not all employees are being cut to part time...So they don't have to provide health care..

Strike for Obamacare

Plus for job creation... Way To Go Mr Pres....

And too boot, they are minimum wage and part time...

Also PLUS for fining people who can't afford your health care
    " iCOTH " window/bumper stickers.
    http://bluemoongrafixva.webs.com

8 members found this post helpful.

lemme reframe that for ya...

plus for greedy assholes who don't want to provide healthcare for their employees. plus one!
    My mare wonders about all this fuss about birth control when she's only seen a handful of testicles in her entire life. Living with an intact male of my species, I feel differently! WAYSIDE

27 members found this post helpful.

I guess you missed last OT day.....It is a common corporate policy, they do it all the time where I work-long before healthcare reform.

12 members found this post helpful.

Yes, of course, OP - blame the President. Don't blame Walmart.

A FINE ROMANCE - JC Reg Thoroughbred - GOLD Premium CSHA - ISR/OLDNA Approved
    CSHA Brickenden Stallion Award Winner - for Performance offspring.
    Please visit A Fine Romance on FB!

24 members found this post helpful.

How sorry I feel for you haters.

2 members found this post helpful.

My son (23, college student) works for a multi-state grocery chain. He WAS full time until this month, which just happens to coincide with his one-year anniversary. Now he's working just one day per week, which doesn't come close to paying his rent, utilities, car insurance or food. He's applying all over town, but so far no one has called him back.

Obama & the ACA are not to blame for that. The company simply doesn't want to pay him the benefits they promised during his interview.
    I'm not arguing, I'm just explaining why I'm right
    Violence doesn't end violence. It extends it. Break the cycle.

22 members found this post helpful.

Default Obamacare Pre-Existing Condition Fee To Cost Companies $63 Per Person

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2012/1...n_2273005.html

For those of you that haven't heard about this. It's going to cost $63 PER employee. How many companies do you think can afford that.
    " iCOTH " window/bumper stickers.
    http://bluemoongrafixva.webs.com

4 members found this post helpful.

Do you seriously believe Walmart cannot afford it? Really?

the bad guy here is walmart, not Obama.
    "Kindness is free" ~ Eurofoal
    ---
    The CoTH CYA - please consult w/your veterinarian under any and all circumstances.

24 members found this post helpful.

Quote Originally Posted by grandprixjump View Post

For those of you that haven't heard about this. It's going to cost $63 PER employee. How many companies do you think can afford that.
    Really? So, you don't think a company that has 10,000 employees can afford $650,000? It's chump change.

My company employs roughly 4000 people. They are slow to hire and it is almost unheard of to lay people off. They are around a 1.5 billion dollar company and are flush with cash and the execs are cashing in big time every year. Please tell me the CEO needs a 15 million dollar bonus while they hold raises on everyone else. We probably 3000 employees in the US. Tell me why they can not afford $195,000. Geesh, you could probably take that out of the sales/marketing organization and the only pain that would be felt is that they would only be able to expense one martini instead of two.
    Last edited by sketcher; Dec. 17, 2012 at 10:31 AM.

20 members found this post helpful.

it is a temporary assessment levied for three years starting in 2014, designed to raise $25 billion. It starts at $63 and then declines.
    the per-head assessment would be smaller each year, around $40 in 2015 instead of $63.

It will phase out completely in 2017 – unless Congress, with lawmakers searching everywhere for revenue to reduce federal deficits – decides to extend it.
    Why the fee?

It will be used to cushion health insurance companies from the initial hard-to-predict costs of covering uninsured people with medical problems. Under the law, insurers will be forbidden from turning away the sick as of Jan. 1, 2014.
    So for $1.12 per week per employee, we're going to fund a pot so that really sick people have access to health care. You know, the ones who can't afford any other health care.

And even if my employer decides to push that cost on to me, I'll be happy to pay it so that people like my dad (with one amputated hand and one barely functioning hand) or my son (asthma) and me (cancer survivor) can see a doctor when they need to.

Because I'm cool like that.

ETA: My premium is already going up $13/per pay check next month, so what's another $2.25?
    Last edited by HighFlyinBey++; Dec. 17, 2012 at 08:48 AM.
    I'm not arguing, I'm just explaining why I'm right
    Violence doesn't end violence. It extends it. Break the cycle.

20 members found this post helpful.

Hollowed out volcano in the South Pacific.

Many corporations that swore allegiance to the Republican party's "Good For Business" agenda have been engaging in scorched Earth tactics since Obama got re-elected. Walmart, Papa Johns, and quite a few others that are every-day businesses are all axing full-timers and replacing them with more part-timers.
    Thus do we growl that our big toes have, at this moment, been thrown up from below!

Quote Originally Posted by sketcher View Post
    Really? So, you don't think a company that has 10,000 employees can afford 6.5 million dollars? It's chump change.

My company employs roughly 4000 people. They are slow to hire and it is almost unheard of to lay people off. They are around a 1.5 billion dollar company and are flush with cash and the execs are cashing in big time every year. Please tell me the CEO needs a 15 million dollar bonus while they hold raises on everyone else. We probably 3000 employees in the US. Tell me why they can not afford $1, 950,000. Geesh, you could probably take that out of the sales/marketing organization and the only pain that would be felt is that they would only be able to expense one martini instead of two.
    I agree with your sentiment but unless my math is way wrong your numbers are too high. I'm coming up with 3000 US employees x $63.00/person/year = $189,000.

It comes down to $5.25/mo./employee. If my employer wants to tack that on to my insurance premium then fine. Really I'm happy to contribute that so that people who are already suffering from some sort of illness can get covered.

I've spent more than $63.00 for a lesson. I think I can spare it.

19 members found this post helpful.

Quote Originally Posted by LexInVA View Post
    Many corporations that swore allegiance to the Republican party's "Good For Business" agenda have been engaging in scorched Earth tactics since Obama got re-elected. Walmart, Papa Johns, and quite a few others that are every-day businesses are all axing full-timers and replacing them with more part-timers.
    And it's been biting Papa John's, the one Denney's franchisee, and some of the others in the butt big time in terms of lost sales.
    According to the Mayan calendar, the world will not end this week. Please plan your life accordingly.

Considering what I pay per week towards my health insurance, an extra $2.24 for Dh and myself isn't a big deal.

10 members found this post helpful.

Newsflash, OP: Cutting hours so as to avoid paying benefits has been going on more than 20 years.... since I first started paying attention to such things. ObamaCare didn't invent this.
    The armchair saddler
    Politically Pro-Cat

16 members found this post helpful.

Quote Originally Posted by mvp View Post
    Newsflash, OP: Cutting hours so as to avoid paying benefits has been going on more than 20 years.... since I first started paying attention to such things. ObamaCare didn't invent this.
    Thats right. I remember Nortel and IBM doing this, 15 years ago.
    "Kindness is free" ~ Eurofoal
    ---
    The CoTH CYA - please consult w/your veterinarian under any and all circumstances.

9 members found this post helpful.

Quote Originally Posted by grandprixjump View Post

they never said it was going to be free, just that no one could be denied coverage.... with that in mind I know personally of two businesses that December 31st is their last day of operation... 807 positions ... owners had looked at the numbers and there just was no way to go forward.

Theses positions were all what one one call cheaper labor jobs.... cleaning buildings, offices... so the office workers in Dallas may have their job description expanded to clean toilets, empty trash cans

2 members found this post helpful.

Quote Originally Posted by mvp View Post

In an excessive available labor market, which we are in now, the concept is being expanded as the workers in many cases can be easily replaced

Quote Originally Posted by LexInVA View Post
    or not replacing them at all

Not that it will ever pass since insurance companies make gazillions of dollars and we all know Washington on both sides is controlled by special interest money, but IMO a single payer health care system is what we need. I'd be happy if the 500 plus a month I contribute to my employer paid health insurance bought my family a policy as good as Medicare or even Medicaid, but it doesn't. Insurance company profits are a waste of our health care dollars, and it is ridiculous that insurance execs and hospital administrators make more dollars than the physicians who provide the care.

12 members found this post helpful.