The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedMarketplaceDates & Results

Default anybody else have TV channels they used to love?

But have completely gotten away from watching them?

I used to watch HGTV all the time. As soon as I got control of the remote, that was my go-to channel... but sometime in the last two years I have grown tired of the cookie cutter design shows, hardly anything was on gardening anymore and my beloved Carol Duval show got nixed! (along with all the other craft shows) In favor of house hunters.....

A&E is another one of these channels. They used to have the good old shows on, like Colombo etc....before they went 'reality'

TV land had a lot better shows on in the past as well....I mean, I do laugh about Hot in Cleveland, but you know the show can't be that good when it is in the same line up as the Andy Griffith show!
    Quote Originally Posted by Mozart View Post
    Personally, I think the moderate use of shock collars in training humans should be allowed.

Very similar to you-I used to live by the Food Network... but now it seems like so many reruns and it's a little stale... we're shutting the tv off for the winter (all the tv has gotten stale and we're tired of it) but I will miss what Food Network used to be for me. I could watch that and cook all day and just love it. Now it's... tired.

We used to love HGTV too and then we got a house that needs a lot of work and we're not so interested... lol

We literally sort through and there's nothing to watch-even the goofy reality stuff like Biggest Loser or Master Chef, it's just bleh. We're tired of paying for it, watching it, and it's still crap so tomorrow morning we will have no TV. Luckily we are used to not having TV-we've only had it 2 years out of the last 15... we will survive.

Quote Originally Posted by cowboymom View Post
    Very similar to you-I used to live by the Food Network... but now it seems like so many reruns and it's a little stale... we're shutting the tv off for the winter (all the tv has gotten stale and we're tired of it) but I will miss what Food Network used to be for me. I could watch that and cook all day and just love it. Now it's... tired. We used to love HGTV too and then we got a house that needs a lot of work and we're not so interested... lol We literally sort through and there's nothing to watch-even the goofy reality stuff like Biggest Loser or Master Chef, it's just bleh. We're tired of paying for it, watching it, and it's still crap so tomorrow morning we will have no TV. Luckily we are used to not having TV-we've only had it 2 years out of the last 15... we will survive.
    Gosh, I am turning the damn thing off now when I am home alone. I only watch Jeopardy with my husband now...if I forget to watch it, I don't miss it either...just nothing on anymore. I know we can't be the only two....why does the quality keep slipping? I mean, Discovery and History Channel used to be tops as well, even they gone 'reality'.... There aren't any good cartoons on anymore...
    Personally, I think the moderate use of shock collars in training humans should be allowed.

1 members found this post helpful.

Hollowed out volcano in the South Pacific.

I loved the original SciFi Channel. Back when they aired classic shows and movies.
    SPACE FOR RENT

Bravo used to have good quality shows. Now it's the spoiled rich, bratty, useless housewives network. Food Network is OK when it's not 24 hour Chopped or Diners, Drive-Ins and Dives, which it pretty much has been the last 5,000 times I looked.

I'm watching more and more Netflixs. Caught up on Dr Who and workign on Doc Martin.

Liked AMC when it was all old movies. Yes, like Mad Men, then AMC got into a fight w/ DishTV, and so was a bit miffed we didn't have them. Back on now, but with no old movies - only recent old movies about the only reason I watch them is for Mad Men - when it's on!

What I miss is the regular schedule, and ability to share shows the next day with others. Once they started bouncing shows around to suit sweeps weeks, TV no longer was about watching together, but about the networks.

And now I can only get my preferred local channels from city A by antenna, because the FCC says I must subscribe to city B (one is 45 miles from me, the other 40 ). If it wasn't for horse racing, and the other old movie channels - FXM & TCM, I might can the satellite altogether. But living on my own, have to admit that I need the voices. But the continuity is what I miss.

(Oh, and I love ME TV, that is broadcast from one of the stations in city A - all the old, old shows! Just hate all the gross medical ads!)
    Being right half the time beats being half-right all the time. Malcolm Forbes

Used to love BBC America as it had a lot of fun British design and gardening shows but now it is just screaming chefs and disgusting restaurants and I never watch it....

Quote Originally Posted by Ponyclubrocks View Post
    Used to love BBC America as it had a lot of fun British design and gardening shows but now it is just screaming chefs and disgusting restaurants and I never watch it....
    Top Gear! Which I adore. While I don't really mind Kitchen Nightmares (and honestly, *ALL* restaurants that aren't $200-a-plate 5* places are more or less that disgusting, just don't think about it) I do wish they'd stop trying to be SyFy channel. I would rather watch Ground Force and Changing Rooms reruns that freakin' Doctor Who and Torchwood every single day, never mind Star Trek: TNG and Battlestar Galactica (what are either of those doing on a BRITISH network anyway?) I LIKE Trek, but not that much. If they want to do fiction shows, there has to be some British programming that the US hasn't gotten.

A&E is another one I used to like, back when their documentaries were documentaries, and not all true-crime, all the time.

All the crime shows really bother me-nearly every Dateline show profiles some murder, there are the detective shows, there was a new 911 show coming up that played 911 tapes of crimes, documentaries on serial killers all graphically acted out... Geez, it's not just the video games that are violent!

I've had a lovely quiet morning without the TV today... don't miss it blaring out one little bit!

All the crime shows really bother me-nearly every Dateline show profiles some murder, there are the detective shows, there was a new 911 show coming up that played 911 tapes of crimes, documentaries on serial killers all graphically acted out... Geez, it's not just the video games that are violent!

I've had a lovely quiet morning without the TV today... don't miss it blaring out one little bit!
    I'm watching "The Hunt for Red October" on DVD. I hate sitting in the quiet, but there was nothing on TV unless I just wanted to put TVG on. Funny how much better movies are without commercial interruptions and the increasingly-huge "bugs" and ad bars and scrolling texts and...the amount of junk on the screen on TV channels is starting to make internet pop-ups look quaint.

1 members found this post helpful.

I have been saying it for a while now:
    No wonder the world hates us. Just watch TV. We are either morons or homicidal maniacs...there is nothing to like!

I love the clever crime show, but not all the time! I know pretty much every way you can off a person by know, and nearly have it down pat how not to get caught!

The kids shows always feature moronic adults....and we wonder why we are in trouble!

Again: I know I am mainstream. I hate current TV, if I could, I'd cancel cable!
    why does TV continue to suck worse with every season?!

I never did let my kids watch many "kid shows"...it really bothers me to see how those shows portray the adults as idiots and the obnoxious kids as clever. and I happen to be one of those that don't think burping and farting are funny!

I do think it's sad how we as a society could be judged by television-sure the reality shows are silly and mindless but when you add in all the rest of it it really makes you wonder!

There is a lot of garbage out there - reality shows that are a supreme waste of time, useless documentaries (or is that docudramas?) that have no educational value, scores of TV dramas and comedies that don't live up to the names hung on them.

The worst are the reality shows. I cannot STAND to watch most of those and the one I like seems to now perpetuate the myth that anything north of the 49th parallel is in a state of constand winter. The rest present the world with a bunch of moronic stunts and people that typify the redneck myths and that most parents are idiots that showcase their children in pageants.

I still spend time watching a few network shows (NCIS, Grimm, CSI and, of course, Jeopardy) but the rest, well, that is PBS, TVO, Knowledge Network and assorted things on the many Discovery spin-offs. I have, with the mess that is regular TV, discovered Travel channel and watch some of that, and a couple of Canadian productions that are on OWN. I rarely watch BBC Canada now because that is almost all that fool Holmes fixing stuff ad nauseum, waste of time now.
    Founder of the Dyslexic Clique. Dyslexics of the world - UNTIE!!

Member: Incredible Invisbles

I've pretty much given up on all of the formerly educational channels like Discovery, TLC, and Animal Planet. Even The History Channel has gotten pretty bad.
    "Is it ignorance or apathy? Hey, I don't know and I don't care." ~Jimmy Buffett

between the mountains and the sea, North Carolina

Agree on BBC America and also TLC. We now get our British TV via PBS, though it sadly doesn't have BBC shows. And TLC, WTF?! Trading Spaces was awesome until they took the host away. I used to LOVE While You Were Out, which apparently no longer exists. I don't like all this 10 twins whatever crap, I think it is an invasion on privacy and has got to the point where people only do stuff like that for the celebrity status. Then they have more and more kids just to get more famous. <endrant>.
    "Choose to chance the rapids, and dare to dance the tides" - Garth Brooks
    "With your permission, dear, I'll take my fences one at a time" - Maggie Smith, Downton Abbey