The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default Part 2 to : Relocating and leaving it all behind? How's Northern California?

So, got some GREAT feedback about relocating to Colorado, and have been doing TONS of research. Planning to head out over Spring Break and look at a few key areas for consideration.

Another thought we've had is Northern California. One of the drawbacks we've run into looking at Colorado is cost of living. We would be ditching our jobs here and obtaining new ones in our new place of residence, and the job market vs. cost of living in CO is daunting.

Preliminary research is showing that Nor Cal is MUCH more affordable, and has a reasonably good job market. We've actually visited there (unlike Colorado). I have 2 kids and 2 horses, don't care what "style" the barn is, just needs to have good riding space and quality care.

Any opinions on living in Nor Cal? Seems warmer than CO! DH has a CDL, so his finding a job shouldn't be too hard. Thanks for any help you have to offer!!

1 members found this post helpful.

Where in Northern California? It's a big place. And I wouldn't call the Bay Area low cost living.

8 members found this post helpful.

Redding, Shasta County area is where the prices seem to be pretty affordable.

I guess whether or not California's livable anywhere depends on your income--their rate is 13% (that's before city and federal income tax and FICA.) If you make enough to pay income tax, California could suck. And as BLBGP says, a lot of areas aren't low-cost living.

I'm curious too-where in Northern California? I'm in the Silicon Valley for college, and it's insanely expensive!
    I like mares. They remind me of myself: stubborn know it alls who only acknowledge you if you have food.
    Hannah B. Nana: 50% horse, 50% hippo
    Fiona: can't decide between jumpers or napping

We're looking at the Shasta County area; Redding, Cottonwood, etc.

I'm in Sonoma Ounty. Perfect horse area as far as I'm concerned, however I wouldn't say the cost of living is MUCH lower than anywhere but maybe NYC.

Where are you looking specifically? How far are you willing to live from a city or town? There are definitely places in the middle of nowhere when you get far enough north, but it all depends on if you want to live there or not.
    Proud member of the "I'm In My 20's and Hope to Be a Good Rider Someday" clique

Fourteen Months Living and Working in Costa Rica

Bay Area cost of living is probably as high (if not higher) than Colorado. If you go outside of the immediate Bay Area, things are more affordable. Distances can be deceiving as far as how long it actually takes you to get somewhere. I grew up here, outside of San Francisco, and moved back here after a bit of time on the East Coast.

In order to have access to horses, you pretty much need to go out to the suburbs (I live in the East Bay, takes me between 30 & 45 minutes to get to the barn, depending on tunnel traffic, and this is basically the closest horse area). On the bright side, there are many, many different trainers and options.

Redding was a fabulous place to live in 1977-78. I think it has probably grown since then.

I would be worried about the job market, though.
    Sheilah

Hey, I live there! It really....depends. What do you do? The job market in Redding is TRASHED. Big businesses are still avoiding the area for the most part. The closest xc course is 1.5 hours away if you like to event, the closest "big" event is something like 3 or 4, I believe?

However, you can get some very nice houses for a great price if you have the $ right now.

Really, there's two kinds of people here: people who love it, and people who want to leave it and never come back. I'd need more info on what you're looking for to give you a really good idea. Feel free to PM me if you want to have a lengthy talk about it.

I grew up in northern CA, and went to college in Redding. Still have lots of friends there. Feel free to PM me if you have any specific questions or concerns! I loved it while I was there, but I also don't know that I would ever move back. Lots of small schooling shows and the community is great, but for any serious competitionsyou are looking at traveling a minimum of 3-4 hours.

You probably could afford to live in Redding, but, as ottb says, can you get work? There's not much work there. You're also pretty out of the way. And, as she says, it's pretty far out to get to shows. 2 1/2 hours to the Sacramento area.

2 members found this post helpful.

Quote Originally Posted by chestnutwithchrome View Post
    I grew up in northern CA, and went to college in Redding. Still have lots of friends there. Feel free to PM me if you have any specific questions or concerns! I loved it while I was there, but I also don't know that I would ever move back. Lots of small schooling shows and the community is great, but for any serious competitionsyou are looking at traveling a minimum of 3-4 hours.
    Where are the schooling shows?? I've been desperately searching for some around here, . Rancho Alegre has stopped their shows, PCR has stopped, it's really just the SC Fair and then Chico for schooling shows now. Sacramento and -maybe- Ashland/Medford for bigger shows.

There's a new gymkhana arena that's been up, but they only do gymkhana. Basically...if you're looking to stay in the loop horse-wise, this isn't the place for you. But if you don't care as much, the other aspects of the area might be tempting.

PM's sent! Looking specifically for low key, quiet, gorgeous scenery, and a fresh start. DH and I have been married for 15 years, 2 kids, same house the whole time ... we're ready to start LIVING our LIFE! The kids are now 10 and 12, excited about the adventure of it all, and we're just looking for a CHANGE. We were pretty set on Colorado until we did a pretty extensive search for properties to rent/buy, and the prices are discouragingly high. Shasta County is more in line with what home prices are here in our home town, and research indicates the job market is pretty strong.

Like I said, DH has a CDL, and I could do anything entry level. I'm looking to change my career as well, so could go in literally any direction at this point!

Looking for any barn recommendations; RIDING my horses are a priority, competing them not so much. I'd be completely happy with schooling type stuff, and at this stage in my life only participate in 1 recognized event per year. So schooling dressage/jumper/ct shows are great, and if I had a xc course available to me to SCHOOL I'd be happy.

I have only driven past Redding and Shasta and there didn't seem to be much there. If you are looking for work and riding and want the heat, look closer to Sacramento.

Quote Originally Posted by big_red_ottb View Post
    Where are the schooling shows?? I've been desperately searching for some around here, . Rancho Alegre has stopped their shows, PCR has stopped, it's really just the SC Fair and then Chico for schooling shows now. Sacramento and -maybe- Ashland/Medford for bigger shows.

There's a new gymkhana arena that's been up, but they only do gymkhana. Basically...if you're looking to stay in the loop horse-wise, this isn't the place for you. But if you don't care as much, the other aspects of the area might be tempting.
    Uh Oh, it's been 5 years since I lived there. I knew that the riding classes at Shasta had shut down, but assumed PCR and Rancho were still going on. I'm so sorry to hear that :-( A lot of my friends from that area still post on facebook still post about riding and such, so I just assumed there was still the riding community. I rode with Lisa at Two Bar Training Center when I was there... Is she still teaching?

I also can't imagine there are many jobs in Redding. You are 180 miles from Sacramento. I would definitely find jobs before you move.

Do you like hot? It can easily be 110 degrees in the summer. Not many trees.

Quote Originally Posted by WideSquareAlter View Post
    PM's sent! Looking specifically for low key, quiet, gorgeous scenery, and a fresh start. DH and I have been married for 15 years, 2 kids, same house the whole time ... we're ready to start LIVING our LIFE! The kids are now 10 and 12, excited about the adventure of it all, and we're just looking for a CHANGE. We were pretty set on Colorado until we did a pretty extensive search for properties to rent/buy, and the prices are discouragingly high. Shasta County is more in line with what home prices are here in our home town, and research indicates the job market is pretty strong.

Like I said, DH has a CDL, and I could do anything entry level. I'm looking to change my career as well, so could go in literally any direction at this point!

Looking for any barn recommendations; RIDING my horses are a priority, competing them not so much. I'd be completely happy with schooling type stuff, and at this stage in my life only participate in 1 recognized event per year. So schooling dressage/jumper/ct shows are great, and if I had a xc course available to me to SCHOOL I'd be happy.

Carson City or Reno, Nevada might also suit you. The job market is certainly tough, but not in every industry. Health care there is booming, for example.
    It's a uterus, not a clown car. - Sayyedati

Quote Originally Posted by chestnutwithchrome View Post
    Uh Oh, it's been 5 years since I lived there. I knew that the riding classes at Shasta had shut down, but assumed PCR and Rancho were still going on. I'm so sorry to hear that :-( A lot of my friends from that area still post on facebook still post about riding and such, so I just assumed there was still the riding community. I rode with Lisa at Two Bar Training Center when I was there... Is she still teaching?
    Yeah, so you would have left just as it all kinda fell apart. PCR still does the occasional playday, but most of it is gymkhana, and only a few clear rounds. Rancho hasn't done a schooling show in 3 or 4 years. There are a few schooling shows down in Camelot. The community is still here, but it's pretty fragmented. Lots of people have kind of drawn away from the group or switched disciplines. I haven't heard anything about Lisa in a long while, but I think she's still out there.

NorCal is terribly expensive! I lived in the SF suburbs and finally moved to the East Coast because I just couldn't take it anymore.

Boarding horses is expensive and your horse will have little/no turnout in most cases.

I loved the area, but having to work two jobs kinda sucks the fun right out of it.