The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Thumbs down All driving photo albums on webshots is all gone.

I have stored all my photos on webshots for the last 9 years. I have posted links to Zanzer and my adventures through the years, Looker powering through water hazards, bad dressage all of our driving was there. I h ad my cart carrier photos posted there as well, my new cart, etc--

Someone had a brain fart at webshots to redo the site, to bring it uptodate. Well in the process all of those albums with all of the captions and descriptions simply disappeared. What I have now is over 400 photos just lumped together.

I am just sick. All the hours of work gone. I had a place where I could see Zanzer grow up.

What is wrong with people --it wasn;t broke and didn;t need fixing.

They sold the Webshots to Smile. I was pretty unhappy myself when I downloaded my Webshots to Smile, then got a big mess of photos on the same page. I didn't have too many, but still it won't let you make Albums to sort stuff into. I opened a Photobucket account, am starting over there.

I am sorry your photos also ended up so badly, and you had a LOT more than I did. Webshots gave warning in it's site, but didn't send emails to users. I got my stuff downloaded before the closing date of Dec. 1, when I couldn't access Webshots at all.

I am saving my photos on Flash Drives/memory sticks, for backups, in case my computer croaks. New big storage on them for less money all the time. Staples has sales all the time on them. You might also just buy new camera cards when one is filled. No loss of quality moving the photos around.

I have a LOT of old photos on paper, need to sort and date them. Hope I can remember where they were taken and maybe what year! At least the digital cameras put dates on them for you!

Sorry Cartfall.

Sue, I made the same awful discovery over the weekend and now have a big jumble of hundreds of photos that used to be in sequential order in albums with captions on each photo. I received no prior warning at all from Webshots that they were about to go down. They always managed to send me weekly stats on who was looking at my albums but somehow couldn't send any kind of timely notice that they were about to morph into this silly "Smiles" site and not be able to preserve any of the album structure. Mine were not just driving photos. I had albums stored there of some major landscaping projects that we did here, and several other 'stories of my life.' I have zero use for the "Smiles" service and will be removing it from my life forever as soon as I can be sure I have all of those photos safely stored elsewhere.

Like Goodhors, I'm going to start over with Photobucket, someday when I have the time to devote to it. And when will that be??

Another note. I started using Carbonite a few months ago after a hard drive failure and all the related hassle and loss of data. Hubby has been using it for quite some time in his business and I should have listened earlier to his suggestions that I use it at home!!

gothedistance is offline AERC Decade Team - 2000-2010 Premium Member

Cartfall, that really sucks.

My suggestion? If you're going to put time and effort into recreating your albums, buy a personal website to host it. Buy the software to create your own set of photo albums with story lines, and make it uniquely your own. That puts you in charge, and protects - fully - what you own. Honestly, it is the only way to go if you really spend a lot of time and effort on your stuff, and want it to remain as is.

Sadly, there are no true assurances your stuff will remain undisturbed when using someone else's cloud.
    Last edited by gothedistance; Dec. 17, 2012 at 07:08 AM.

Hollowed out volcano in the South Pacific.

Facebook is the only sure thing right now. That's my official statement on the matter and you can take it to the bank. Their cloud is always expanding and they aren't going anywhere. All the photo hosting services are running down the street with their hair on fire because they aren't making money and haven't been for several years due to Facebook punching them in the side of the head and taking over as the go-to service due to it's social integration of sharing photos.
    Thus do we growl that our big toes have,
    at this moment, been thrown up from below!

Hollowed out volcano in the South Pacific.

For those of you seeking a reliable mass-backup and storage solution for photos, take a look at this. Pop a reliable SSD in there and you've got a pretty sure thing. I have one of the older models from several years ago and it served me pretty well.
    Thus do we growl that our big toes have,
    at this moment, been thrown up from below!