The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Quote Originally Posted by Catersun View Post
    dual boot is the best of both worlds.
    Yes, probably so. There is definitely one Windows program that doesn't seem to exist in Linux at all that I am really going to NEED in a couple of months, so I may have no choice. But at least that means I get TweetDeck back. I'm glad I gave it a try though. Linux has come on by miles and miles since the last time I tried it. I'm very impressed with it for the most part.
    "The standard you walk by is the standard you accept."--Lt. Gen. David Morrison, Austalian Army Chief

Hollowed out volcano in the South Pacific.

It's only going to get better now that Intel is backing Linux 100% on their hardware. AMD has all but abandoned it though they were never really committed to making it work with their hardware to begin with since they only had a few people working on drivers for their stuff and I think they had one or two working on the kernel as well. I've pretty much dumped Windows for everything but gaming and my music stuff, which I can't do on Linux at this point.
    Thus do we growl that our big toes have,
    at this moment, been thrown up from below!

Quote Originally Posted by LexInVA View Post
    I've pretty much dumped Windows for everything but gaming and my music stuff, which I can't do on Linux at this point.
    I feel ya. It would be so much easier if they had ONE audio driver, not a situation where half the programs use ALSA and the other half use JACK. That's what's driving me back to Windows at this point. The only thing I really do loff is the ability to "overdrive" your sound card's volume controls - which my understanding is they took away after Precise?? Is that right? I love being able to crank the volume on Netflix vids where it's too low. But apart from that, it's back to Windows for me as far as audio is concerned.
    "The standard you walk by is the standard you accept."--Lt. Gen. David Morrison, Austalian Army Chief

I use external powered speakers so I don't have to deal with the volume thing but Linux is in dire need of a sound system standard and overhaul. Windows obviously has that with XAudio and ASIO and Linux just fails with ALSA, PULSE, JACK, and the few others that are floating around. It's really going to get better though. Intel is unifying all the audio chipsets used in their hardware on Linux with a single driver, so the problem of support for different chips is going away there at least. For the time being though, Windows is the only thing I can really use for music and my MIDI tinkering and it does it well.

1 members found this post helpful.

I don't really do much with MIDI. I use it to drive my music notation software (and may I say MuseScore is actually quite good - it does what I need and doesn't cost a fortune!) but that's as deep into MIDI as I care to get, LOL! After we spoke last about this, I unexpectedly picked up a gig where a huge amount of the job is going to be matching audio to video quite precisely, which is something I wasn't planning on having to do at ANY point any time soon, and I don't see that working very well on Ubuntu. So I'm digging out the Win 7 64-bit disc right after this client vid uploads.

You did warn me! I just wanted a new toy to play with over the holidays!

Since they dumped the low-latency kernel for security purposes a while back, real-time audio stuff has really been bad on Linux. WIndows gets it done through ASIO just fine but Linux has nothing that just works these days.

1 members found this post helpful.

Yyeeeeeeeeeeeup.