The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Hollowed out volcano in the South Pacific.

Cool COTH LUG!

Anyone else running Linux? I'm using Ubuntu.
    Thus do we growl that our big toes have, at this moment, been thrown up from below!

Clarksdale, MS--the golden buckle on the cotton belt

I have Puppy Linux, but have only just gotten it. Waiting for my computer to return from the shop before putting a flavor of Linux on it.
    "I'm a lumberjack, and I'm okay."
    Thread killer Extraordinaire

Anyone else? I know there are more here than just us.
    Thus do we growl that our big toes have, at this moment, been thrown up from below!

My husband is one of the many Debian developers so, yes,
    all our machines here at our farm run Linux and have since
    we gave up on BSD Unix yea those many years ago.
    Robin from Dancing Horse Hill
    Elmwood, Wisconsin

I have Ubuntu as well.

I run a red hat farm at work, been using linux of diverse flavors since 1995, starting with Slackware 2.0 (And I still prefer slack for servers...) went Mac at home, since it's OpenBSD in the core with handy, easy, bmindless tools do do the stuff I do the hard way at work... while preserving my ability to do things that may need to happen.My web server for the farm is CentOS with toys like a backend control suite on a dedicated server at GoDaddy.
    Nudging "Almost Heaven" a little closer still...
    http://www.wvhorsetrainer.com

Right now, I'm picking out the parts for my new Linux desktop build that I'm putting together next year. 32GB of RAM, high-end quad-core CPU with integrated graphics, six 4TB HDDs for storage, modular power supply, four port eSATA storage card, an M-Disc Blu-Ray burner, and an mSATA SSD for my OS and programs. All in a mini-tower package.

1 members found this post helpful.

City of delusion in the state of total denial

I have an older laptop made up out of spare parts that's about to get Ubuntu installed on it again. Never been a dedicated user though. Lex, your setup sounds sweet.
    "I'm not always sarcastic. Sometimes I'm asleep."
    - Harry Dresden

Horse Isle 2: Legend of the Esrohs LifeCycle Breeding and competition MMORPG

Bumping!

Looks like Microsoft is looking into releasing software on Linux in the next few years, specifically their Office suites and associated networked cloud services.

Quote Originally Posted by LexInVA View Post
    Looks like Microsoft is looking into releasing software on Linux in the next few years, specifically their Office suites and associated networked cloud services.
    Huh. That's interesting. I wonder how many Linux users would readily switch over, given the prevalence of free alternatives like OpenOffice. My personal preference on a Windows machine is Google Drive for everything.
    - Harry Dresden

If it works - and I'm sure it will because they have had internal builds for a long time - it will definitely make Linux viable for workplace use as the alternatives don't have full compatibility and have a lot of glitches when dealing with MS Office authored files.

Good point.
    - Harry Dresden

Me is in.
    "The standard you walk by is the standard you accept."--Lt. Gen. David Morrison, Austalian Army Chief

I have no idea what any of y'all are talking about, but what I am quite sure of is that all of you are geniuses (geniusi?).

I work for the feds, which means we just got Windows 2007... last year. So since I do almost all of my computer-related activities here at work (I'm here more than I am at home, it seems); I'm ashamed to say that whatever the government uses is the only thing I'm familiar with.

Suffice to say, I'm always impressed by the people who are so technologically advanced... I just hope that someday I (and maybe even the federal government!) can catch up with you.
    Quote Originally Posted by Martha Drum View Post
    ...But I don't want to sit helmetless on my horse while he lies on the ground kicking a ball around without a bridle while Leatherface does an interpretive dance with his chainsaw around us.

While we're on the subject - can anyone tell me, IS there a decent Twitter client for Linux? I'm using Hotot ATM which is about the best I've found so far but really has a long way to go before it gets as good as TweetDeck.
    "The standard you walk by is the standard you accept."--Lt. Gen. David Morrison, Austalian Army Chief

Quote Originally Posted by War Admiral View Post
    While we're on the subject - can anyone tell me, IS there a decent Twitter client for Linux? I'm using Hotot ATM which is about the best I've found so far but really has a long way to go before it gets as good as TweetDeck.
    From what I know, none of the many Twitter clients for Linux are great. Even though they joined the Linux Association last year, Twitter refuses to release an official client for Linux. There's a Twitter development page that has a bunch of clients and code but I don't know if many of those are for Linux.

We run a Ubuntu server and I dual boot my computer wih suse
    If i'm posting on Coth, it's either raining so I can't ride or it's night time and I can't sleep.

I may be headed towards a Windows/Ubuntu dual boot at some point this year. Configuring/reconfiguring JACK every time I open or close an audio app is driving me insane. Life's too short!

dual boot is the best of both worlds.
    If i'm posting on Coth, it's either raining so I can't ride or it's night time and I can't sleep.