The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Question Eczema? Hmm? Eyeball rash!

A few weeks ago I noticed under my right eye was a weird reddish/peely spot. It has not gone away, but seems to react violently (red stingy) to any sort of moisturizer I own (perfume in eye cream perhaps??). It also gets super red and puffy then if I leave it alone gets flaky skin, peely and then seems to want to repeat the cycle by getting puffy red again.

I stopped using anything on my eyes at all on Monday when it was so red it looked like I had been decked LOL!! It got peely looking and better but then this morning I noticed it was slightly red and a little puffy (much less than when I use any moisturizer/make-up remover).

I also have a little tiny patch about the size of a pencil eraser on the lid over my left eye and I can feel a a teenier patch on the crease of my upper right eye lid

I got the Aveeno eczema/cortisol oatmeal stuff and put it on a few hours ago, it did not cause a reaction and has smoothed the scalies on the smaller patches. The redness on the bigger area is the same.

I won't be able to get into the doctor until Thursday if then.

Anyone had anything similar? I have never had this happen before. I'm 41, have not changed products. I did have eczema on my right hand almost 25 years ago after working at a place with super harsh chemical detergent but that's it.
    The Knotted Pony

Proud and upstanding member of the Snort and Blow Clique.

If it is eczema, the redness will not go away right away. The inflamation should go down and the peeling should go away, but the scarring can hang around for quite awhile.

It often helps to take Benedryl or Zyrtec, especially if it's itchy. Also, don't use hot water if at all possible. Cool/warm water is better.

OTC Aveeno is good and Cortaid's eczema oitment is also good (and less expensive than Aveeno).

Gainer, it's not itchy-at all! I have read not to use hot water.

Ugh, why on earth would this show up now? It's not really noticeable (except for Monday when it was so red and swollen I looked like I had been in a brawl LOL!!) but still.
    The Knotted Pony

Are you sure it is eczema?
    I can always tell when winter is here and my sunshine is gone - I get a patch of seborrhoeic derm around my eyes (it's similar to cradle cap in infants).
    I switch to antifungal shampoos every winter.http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Seborrhoeic_dermatitis

No, I am not sure but so far it seems like it may be. It could also be what you said. *sigh* I just want it to go away!
    The Knotted Pony

If it was eczema, it would likely be very itchy. Could be seborrhoeic dermatitis. The Aveeno won't hurt it. I definitely wouldn't use any makeup until the dr. can take a look at it.

Nope, had the same thing crop up this year, doc said eczema. She said it was cyclic and waxed and wanes. I use regular cortizone cream twice a day when it crops up. I get it on my eyes and a different kind on my fingers that feel like calluses. I told my doc that turning 30 sucks!! I'm already prone to rashes and dermatitis anyways. Now this....
    Aisha, my heart from 03/06/1986 to 08/22/2008.

COTH's official mini-donk enabler.
    Odie, aka the Evil Burrito, is on Facebook.

It's the goldurn weather up here making me have an eyeball rash!!! *scream*

How long until it goes away after the cream? I should probably see the doc before getting cortisone cream I suppose. I just went and looked and it looks fine now although under the right eye is still a little red. I hope the Aveeno takes care of it.

Did your doc say why it crops up??
    The Knotted Pony

I used to get eczema and only in the winter. Mine did not tend to itch and was normally on the inside bend of my elbow. And a patch under my watch. It was just rashy looking.
    I did have one year that I would wake up in the middle of the night and my palms and between my fingers would itch. The dermatologist said that was relatesd to the eczema. Benadryl cream helped that.

I did find the Aveeno helped with the scaly, rash stuff on the arm.

Touch wood it has been a few years since I had it.
    Oh, well, clearly you're not thoroughly indoctrinated to COTH yet, because finger pointing and drawing conclusions are the cornerstones of this great online community. (Tidy Rabbit)

1 members found this post helpful.

Weird, twotru, I had something very similar happen. I'd get puffiness and then my undereye area would actually split. I'm 36.

For me, I had to switch to clinique and I have to moisturize the snot out of my face and particularly that area. If I forget, they are back. If I cry and don't remoisturize, they come back. If I run I have to cover the area with Vaseline.

I never had dry skin, so it wasn't even a consideration. In fact, I was a sleep in ones makeup kind of girl before that (I know, gross, but it never really affected me) and now I've got a bevy of creams and lotions I have to put on my face. *sigh*

I get the same thing. It's maddening. I will get patches near my eyes, and if it's in juuuuust the right spot I can SEE it when it starts to get flaky. Supper annoying.

At any rate, when it first started happening (I was around 25) my FIL who is an OBGYN looked at it, thought it might be eczema and prescribed me a prescription strength cortizone lotion. I used that twice a day and it did wonders for it.

Fast forward a few years, and I'm out of my prescription, so I go to an actual dermatologist. I see a PA instead, who isn't sure it actually is eczema, but says that as long as it is responding to the steroid I should just continue with what I've been doing.

For the record, mine isn't itchy either, and only crops up on my face, and (oddly) under my left ear. It also seems to come out more often when I'm super stressed about something, or when the weather is cold and dry I also have super sensitive skin, and turn red pretty easily so I have to be careful about using products with too much scent or lanolin in them.

Good luck, I know how annoying it is!

Oh - and mine was stingy too when I use the moisturizer so Vaseline helped until I could get it to close a little, then I had to moisturize the crap out of it.

Mine was also stingy with lotion/cortisone. It was mostly on my eyelids, but I got some that I got all over my face once, esp around my ears and on my earlobes. DH came to work one time was like "umm..hon?" and it looked like I had dandruff because I had been obsessively rubbing/scratching at it in an attempt to make it go away while writing a report. Ewwwww horror!! Cortisone cleared it right up. Eyelids took a little longer. I found that if I used my face wash (Acne Free, similar to the Proactiv stuff) on my eyes, it would flare up, and before that I was using religiously a Neutrogena cream face wash, which is what caused the big flare up. My doc said it comes, no one knows why it reacts to something that it previously did not, and to just treat with topicals.
    Aisha, my heart from 03/06/1986 to 08/22/2008.

COTH's official mini-donk enabler.
    Odie, aka the Evil Burrito, is on Facebook.

Gah! I have an itchy, flakey, scaley scalp right now. It's moving down my neck and it's on the backs of my ears, the insides of my ears, now my left eyelid and and on either side of my chin!

Do I need to take something systemic or just use creams/shampoos? Specific suggestions??

I've NEVER had skin issues like this before!

Ok so after reading this post....I have a feeling I might have this.

It's started this year...my normally oily skin is now drying out and flaking. Lasts about a week and then goes away and come back to start the ugly cycle. The only cream that helps with the flaking is Nivea. One thing I don't like about the Nivea is I have acne prone skin and I find the Nivea a tad greasy and breaks me out.

The worst areas for me are around my mouth, chin and eyes. There isn't a rash, just dry flaky skin that will sting if I don't put moisturize on it.

WTH?? I usually only get this on my knuckles in the winter and as long as I keep the area moisturized I’m ok.

Ugh…I think it’s time to make an app with my dermatologist

I worked with someone who had horrible scaly sections, mostly around her eyes. Her doctor was mystified, the dermatologist couldn't find out what it was, but they asked about changes in laundry detergent, nail polish, hand lotion, makeup and other lotions. It turned out that she started using dryer sheets, and that did it. It was on the pillow cases and towels she used, and that did it to her. She stopped using the dryer sheets, and washed everything she owned that was washable twice in regular detergent with an extra rinse. Between washing all of the clothes, bedding and towels she was fine in about a week.
    You can't fix stupid-Ron White

One Gary, I used to sleep in makeup too! Now, no makeup until this thing is gone. The Aveeno seems to be helping, I'm going to keep with it for a week or so and see.

I usually use Lancome and now I have a lot of thrown away money sitting in my bathroom that I cannot use I know Lancome uses perfumes in their stuff and obviously I have gone from being old ironsides to a sensitive flower. CRAP.
    The Knotted Pony

Could be eczema. I have (severe) eczema and this sounds similar to a milder version of mine. I get it so bad my entire face swells, becomes red, burns, etc... That being said I'm not a doctor (just a nurse..lol). As strange as it is I have found a few things that help keep mine at bay. I've been Basis cleaner clean face wash. It is soap free and gentle (plus it gets skin clean without drying it). I know it gets all the gook off that gets on my face working at the barn and also the germs I pick up at work all day. Then I use a nuetrogena ultra sensitive cream. It feels nice and cool on my skin and keeps it moisturized without inflamming the rash. Both of these were approved by allergist. Give it time. I have also found that Atarax (a prescription med) helps me very well also. I used to be an devoted Aveeno user but found it wasn't quite enough. Good luck. Don't hesitate to see a doctor if it persists.

I get it too. mine swelled. I have it worse on my forearms. Coconut oil helps.
    Quarry Rat

A student's dad who is a dr looked at mine today and told me to use seltzen blue shampoo on my scalp and other affected areas. FYI!