The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Well it only took a few days to have the typical Off-Topic Day "I don't like/want to have/tolerate, etc. kids" thread. What a disgusting thread title. Shame.

2 members found this post helpful.

I understand where the OP is coming from. My ex and I discussed not having kids because of problems we had. Among them: depression, anxiety, epilepsy, blood clotting disorder (leading to multiple pulmonary embolisms), alcoholism, and many cancers. Do I really want to subject a child to that?!
    Charlie Brown (1994 bay TB X gelding)
    White Star (2004 grey TB gelding)

Mystical Moment, 1977-2010.

I'll defend the title of the thread.

Look, we have solidly rejected eugenics since the middle of the 20th century.

We also creep back up close to that with our fascination with "positive eugenics" in the form of "designer babies."

We rant and blame the folks who have too many kids, mildly bad kids who don't dutifully contribute to the GDP and lose our minds about the serial killers when they appear.

We also withdraw support in the form of well-funded education, health-care and the rest.

And so, friends, we have painted ourselves into quite a corner. And we collectively did this, only to leave a few on the suffering margins-- the people who have bad lives to carry on with not so much as our sympathy. It must be that each of us is banking on not being *that* person who bears the weight of everyone else's rather vague and uninformed ideas.
    The armchair saddler
    Politically Pro-Cat

6 members found this post helpful.

You can always drop them off at a rescue (give up your rights and put them into fhe foster care system). Now you are free to indiscriminately breed!
    "Kindness is free" ~ Eurofoal
    ---
    The CoTH CYA - please consult w/your veterinarian under any and all circumstances.

1 members found this post helpful.

Quote Originally Posted by EqTrainer View Post
    You can always drop them off at a rescue (give up your rights and put them into fhe foster care system). Now you are free to indiscriminately breed!
    And just when I thought that the AQHA had invented something novel. Nope. The idea is an import.
    The armchair saddler
    Politically Pro-Cat

Quote Originally Posted by mvp View Post
    And just when I thought that the AQHA had invented something novel. Nope. The idea is an import.
    Well I suppose you could auction them but now we are getting into a whole 'nother range of tasteless commentary and bad behaviour... And what to do about the no sales?
    ---
    The CoTH CYA - please consult w/your veterinarian under any and all circumstances.

Quote Originally Posted by EqTrainer View Post
    Well I suppose you could auction them but now we are getting into a whole 'nother range of tasteless commentary and bad behaviour... And what to do about the no sales?

Can we just not register those kids and call it good?
    The armchair saddler
    Politically Pro-Cat

2 members found this post helpful.

Registered animals end up at auction, too!

I really should get some sleep.
    ---