The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedMarketplaceDates & Results

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default Anyone else not have children because it's illegal to euthanize them?

Okay, so I am only half serious...but really. I have some pretty bad genetics in my family. I survived the insanity, barely. If my bio-child inherited any of my bio-mom or bio-dad's genes what would I do? I mean, you can't just put your screwed up kids to sleep like a dangerous animal.

I really feel for parents that try to do everything right and end up with the spawn of Satan. That's too much stress for me! I'll just decline to procreate.

20 members found this post helpful.

I was just thinking the same thing. I'm about to get married and found myself wondering today if I even want to have kids because what if they turn out "bad"?
    My CANTER cutie Chip and IHSA shows!
    http://www.youtube.com/kheit86

Society will do it for you, after they kill someone/s
    They will be put away or the death penalty is still used in some cases.

Just hope you are not one of the victims.

Timing is really bad for this thread

22 members found this post helpful.

You might want to change your thread title. I'm not the sensitive sort but seeing a thread about euthanizing children so soon after Friday gave me pause. Too soon.

If you do want children someday, I suggest meeting with a genetic counselor who can help you determine the risks of passing on any mental illnesses.

11 members found this post helpful.

Quote Originally Posted by lcw579 View Post
    You might want to change your thread title. I'm not the sensitive sort but seeing a thread about euthanizing children so soon after Friday gave me pause. Too soon.

If you do want children someday, I suggest meeting with a genetic counselor who can help you determine the risks of passing on any mental illnesses.
    They weren't euthanized, they were horribly murdered. People are posting threads by parents who say their kid might be the next mass-murderer, I find that distasteful but I understand.

I seriously think about this, for my own sanity but the safety of others. How horrible to have a child you fear, or that your fear will hurt others. But there's nothing one can do really. I will never have kids, part of the reason is I am not so sure I should genetically reproduce!

6 members found this post helpful.

There are definitely a lot of parents now thinking of both how they can keep their child safe, and also how they can prevent their kid from becoming a threat to society. Neither of those are bad, in the sense that at least people are reflecting. Which is what we all need, as a society, at the moment. How can we stop this stuff from happening??

It is too bad more people don't consider their circumstances, lifestyle, health, history before bringing kids into the world. Ironically the people doing this sort of soul searching as to whether or not they should reproduce are actually the kind of people you WANT to be parents, kwim?
    We couldn't all be cowboys, so some of us are clowns.

In all seriousness, yes.

I'm not afraid of my own genetics so much as being in the same spot as my mom--hubs left her with the two kids, no money and lots of expectations. I didn't have a good time growing up with that kind of deep uncertainty. So I *really* didn't want to find myself in the adult version of it... with a kid whose needs exceeded my abilities or wallet looking to me alone to fix things.

Quote Originally Posted by Bluey View Post
    Society will do it for you, after they kill someone/s
    They will be put away or the death penalty is still used in some cases.

And the other thing is that if my kid became this one-- euthanized by society rather than me-- a great deal of suffering would have taken place before that.

I have never understood the need to prolong life without regard to its quality.
    The armchair saddler
    Politically Pro-Cat

3 members found this post helpful.

Angry

I had my tubes tied because I didn't want to pass my genetics onto any children. When/If my husband and I decide we want kids, we'll adopt. But there is no way I'm subjecting a child to the combination of Mr. Arrows and I's genes. Poor kid would be incredibly short, overweight, major allergies, no athletic ability at all (seriously, we have trouble walking. It's not good), and a major chance to have major autoimmune disorders, cancer, and asthma.

Yeah, we'll adopt. If the child has problems, that's fine. But I'm not creating a problem.

5 members found this post helpful.

I can't have kids so this has never been an issue for me; however, my SO has said he would never have kids because of how (genetically) bad his teeth are.

With all our dental progress, I always found that a bit goofy but since I can't have kids, it kind of works out. Plus, now we're either pushing or over 50 years old so a kid would have to be adopted and I just don't have the energy.

My side: genetic hearing loss, vision, mom and her mother have the same mental issues (serious enough that mine walked away from hers and I've now walked away from mine), recently surfaced eczema.

His side: vision (legally blind before surgery), alcoholism, breathing problems and skin problems he calls rosacia and I swear is eczema. Also, he is astoundingly hairy.

You don't get to cull your kids if there are genetic issues.
    Aisha, my heart from 03/06/1986 to 08/22/2008.

COTH's official mini-donk enabler.
    Odie, aka the Evil Burrito, is on Facebook.

1 members found this post helpful.

Quote Originally Posted by TheJenners View Post
    Also, he is astoundingly hairy.

1 members found this post helpful.

Hollywood, but not the one where they have the Oscars!

Yup....once I learned about X and Y....no kids for me!!!
    "You can't really debate with someone who has a prescient invisible friend"
    carolprudm

I choose not to procreate for different reasons, however, I know at least one person who has chosen to to have kids for fear of The Genes.

She has schizophrenia, and it runs in her family (her dad has it too). I also know a couple of recovering alcoholics who PRAY that their kids don't that gene.

So ya, I get it. I get where you're coming from.

I have not read this thread,responding to the title alone. What a thoughtless,tactless thing to post at this time. I don't know about anyone else,but I have been absolutely devastated by recent events....have two granddaughters,age 5 and 7, who are the light of my life and when I think........sorry, no I can't think. What a stupid ,thoughtless, insensitive title to a post.

9 members found this post helpful.

Really, OP, change the freaking title. It is in incredibly bad taste.
    I realize that I'm generalizing here, but as is often the case when I generalize, I don't care. ~ Dave Barry

7 members found this post helpful.

Incredibly selfish and clueless timing on this thread. I am childless by choice but this thread is exceedingly offensive.

OP, please just delete the OP or at least make the title ONE IOTA of sensitive.
    A conclusion is the place where you got tired of thinking. (Steven Wright)

While I agree the title is insensitive, the OP does bring up a valid point. I do think maybe the title should be changed but I don't have a problem with the post itself.
    My CANTER cutie Chip and IHSA shows!
    http://www.youtube.com/kheit86

4 members found this post helpful.

City of delusion in the state of total denial

I don't find the title insensitive. The children dead in Sandy Hook are dead because someone murdered them.

Euthanasia is an act of kindness or mercy. Murder is not.

I think it's an appropriate question to be asking, as parents or potential parents, and yes, it's an appropriate question to be asking now. What would you do if you found that despite your best efforts your child was a significant threat to himself, to you, to society?

I have mental illness in the family (including a schizophrenic great-aunt whose suicide was a skeleton in the closet for many years- we were told she died of pneumonia) in addition to a substantial list of physical medical conditions. My father watched his mother die. No one knew he'd inherited the genetic disease that killed her until we got to watch him die in his mid-40's. With so much uncertainty in the DNA I don't feel it's responsible for me to reproduce. There is so much chaos in the world already that kids have to contend with. I think part of being a responsible parent is to do what you can to set the kid up for success from the womb, at least as much as you can. Genetically, I can't do that.

(I also believe very firmly in a person's right to choose physician-assisted euthanasia for him-/herself in case of terminal disease, while we're at it.)
    "I'm not always sarcastic. Sometimes I'm asleep."
    - Harry Dresden

Horse Isle 2: Legend of the Esrohs LifeCycle Breeding and competition MMORPG

9 members found this post helpful.

Gotta agree with the insensitive title thing...might wanna change that.
    "A horse gallops with his lungs, perseveres with his heart, and wins with his character." - Tesio

3 members found this post helpful.