The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Default Exercising?

I have currently been off for 8 weeks due to a riding injury, and I want to get back into shape before riding again. I was wondering what DVD's you guys reccomend to work out with? I've seen the dressage pilates, was going to order it, but not sure on the reviews. What dvd's do you guys reccomend for riding? It can be anything from yoga to pilates, whatever, I just need something!

I'll poach from one of my other posts:

I love Jillian Michaels "Yoga Meltdown" DVD. It incorporates yoga with movement so it burns more cals. It is my fav workout DVD ever. I get bad workout ADD, but this one I've enjoyed for about two years now. Not too long (about 40 mins), moves quickly through the exercises without too much repetition, gives a good stretch and a little burn without making me feel like I am going to keel over. Some traditional yoga DVDs can make me a little sleepy if there is too much focus on breathing & relaxation.

Might help to know what type of injury you had. I would stay away from most yoga if you've had a recent wrist injury.

Quote Originally Posted by Juxtapoze View Post
    I'll poach from one of my other posts:

I love Jillian Michaels "Yoga Meltdown" DVD. It incorporates yoga with movement so it burns more cals. It is my fav workout DVD ever. I get bad workout ADD, but this one I've enjoyed for about two years now. Not too long (about 40 mins), moves quickly through the exercises without too much repetition, gives a good stretch and a little burn without making me feel like I am going to keel over. Some traditional yoga DVDs can make me a little sleepy if there is too much focus on breathing & relaxation.

Might help to know what type of injury you had. I would stay away from most yoga if you've had a recent wrist injury.
    Sorry about that, haha, fractured growth plate in my anke with a super bad sprain!

Quote Originally Posted by gabbymaee View Post
    Sorry about that, haha, fractured growth plate in my anke with a super bad sprain!
    I know what you're going through!! I had ankle surgery this summer and have recently got back into working out/riding. I'd watch it with yoga that you don't push your ankle too hard since it's probably a little stiff.

Hope you find something that works and if yoga doesn't hurt it you should be fine!

If your going to do yoga I would really suggest going to a couple of classes first to make sure you learn the correct technique. A lot of people who start doing yoga by DVD learn the techniques wrong which can either just take away the effectiveness of the exercises or you can actually hurt yourself more.

I'm curious about this too. I am in a hard cast for a broken ankle. It has been over seven weeks. Looks like I have three more to go before getting a walking cast. So I would love to hear more options in addition to the yoga recommendations.
    “Be yourself; everyone else is already taken.”
    ¯ Oscar Wilde

So don't do anything you and doctor don't think you're ready for...

I also love a few exercise video apps for iPhone & iPad (not sure about other smartphone formats). Lolo's Killer Butt, Easy Abs, Easy Arms, and Easy Legs are great so you may want to check out the App Store. Each app lets you choose btwn 3 levels, a few different workout lengths, can incorporate equipment like a stability ball & weights, and gives you huge variety of exercises for a different workout every time. There are many floor exercises and you can skip an exercise if it's something you aren't up for. I think they have a free version you can try before you buy the full version. Just search Lolo on the App Store and you'll find the apps. Full versions of the apps are cheap.

Speedy recovery!