The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Default Question About Boarding, I need your advice.

I will try to make this quick.

Told BO this summer, I was sending my horse out for thirty days.
    Was asked why, I said training. Then I was asked to pay the Vet bill for spring shots and coggins, fine..... Only to find it it was over a month before the Vet was even scheduled to come out. I let that go.

Fast forward, tell the BO at the beggining of December, horse is going to the trainer January. He was fine with it.

I teach lessons at this barn, and he gets the far sweeter end of the deal by the way. I also get vented to, and my brain picked for medical, managment and business advice. I pay in cash, and I pay on time.

So today, when I show up to teach, he says, " I want to talk to you about you taking your horse out of the barn, I want a little something to hold your stall". Really? I have never been asked to pay for a stall that I was not using. I have been there for over two years, and really am a trouble free boarder, who has come in quite handy in a few emergency situations, and I have gotten him some very nice business.

I am wrong to be put out by this? My DH is LIVID, and I am honestly ready to find another barn I am so offended.

So, am I over reacting, or is the BO being a douche nozzle of the hightest order?

TIA!
    FMO:OMG I almost put my eye out hunting clique.

I would be very upset as well but I have no idea how the COTH crowds will respond. I hope well. You never know how it will go when you ask for advice here.
    "The captive bolt is not a proper tool for slaughter of equids they regain consciousness 30 seconds after being struck fully aware they are being vivisected." Dr Friedlander DVM & frmr Chief USDA Insp

7 members found this post helpful.

Is the barn full with a waiting list? If he has empty stalls with no one ready and waiting to fill them, I'd tell him that you would prefer not. If the stall isn't there when you are ready to return, you'll (sigh) have to make other arrangements. I bet it will be there when you are ready to come back.

14 members found this post helpful.

From the business point of view, I think it is reasonable that boarders who take their horses out for a full month pay the 'cost' of the empty stall. That is, board minus hay, feed, labor, shavings, etc. I understand you've brought the BO benefits and I would think there should be an opportunity for compromise on what empty stall cost might be. I am a little unclear why you're paying for vet services you've not received though.

8 members found this post helpful.

I think it's fairly standard practice at a busy barn to expect some sort of fee to hold a stall.

It does sound from your post that you are already a bit disgruntled with the current situation (putting in more than you are getting out). Is it possible BO is also feeling similarly and is using this fee as a little nudge?

If the barn is not full and you are otherwise a happy and loyal customer, then yes, I would be miffed as well.
    "Drawing on my fine command of the English language, I said nothing" - Robert Benchley
    Cotton would fight.
    http://buildingthegrove.blogspot.com/

4 members found this post helpful.

from a bo's point of view consider that he is out the board for the month - an unplanned loss of income with less than a month's notice - the bo still has expenses and I am sure counted on your boarding fee to help cover those expenses. Yes, I think you should be paying a fee to hold the stall, less the cost of shavings/hay/grain.

And you are giving less than a month's notice so even if you didn't come back it is unlikely that the bo can rent out the stall by january 1.

3 members found this post helpful.

The barn is not full. He asked me for the full Vet fee's, then I found out the Vet was not due for a month. I felt he did this because he was afraid I was going to pull my horse out, and he would, that way be covered. Same with this fee, perhaps that is why it is so insulting.

I am fine with the situation other wise. Funny thing is, I want my horses stall moved , and have asked him to do so.

If the barn were full, with a wait list, I would understand. I would also understand if I did not help him with clerical help as well.

Thank you for helping me out, I appricate it!

I told him I was taking the horse out in January, in the spring!

He went a little nutty when I asked for a Coggins with spring shots.

So I explained to him then, why I needed it. These plans have been in place for quite sometime.

He has known for well over nine months. FWIW.

Business in our part of the world is dead this time of year, that is why I was able to get my horse in with this trainer, she has time now.

Well, there are two ways to look at this, he can have a boarder who is fast pay, who is handy around the barn, and brings in money weekly. Or not. I have choices as well. What is more important, another empty stall, that will be re filled by someone you have done business with? or losing a good boarder?

People tend to count on/spend money they anticipate coming in. Sounds like your BO has done this and doesn't want to change his $$ plan. Not really your problem so choose your own way to go.

2 members found this post helpful.

most barns will ask for $$ to hold a stall. not a full board, but something..

9 members found this post helpful.

First you say
    Quote Originally Posted by Ware Whip! View Post

Fast forward, tell the BO at the beggining of December, horse is going to the trainer January. He was fine with it.
    Then you say :
    Quote Originally Posted by Ware Whip! View Post
    I told him I was taking the horse out in January, in the spring!

He has known for well over nine months. FWIW.
    If there are empty stalls - take your chances. If you want a guarantee - pay a fee imo

3 members found this post helpful.

In fairness you should pay a dry stall rate. If you think you can hold him over a barrel by not paying, you can expect to come back to a pissed off barn owner.

Your choice, but I think you should pay a nominal amount for him to keep the stall and to keep the peace.

Or you could just move on and screw the guy.

Is it worth the money to you?

4 members found this post helpful.

Bravestrom, when I asked for the coggins, in late April, since the Vet was coming out to do spring shots. I told him horse was going first of the year for thirty days, I reminded him on December first.

He has known for months this was going to happen, because that is how I choose to do things.

Perhaps I should have taken sometime to compose myself before I typed out the post.

He, at that time, made sure I paid well in advance, as I found out later, for Vet services that were not even booked yet. I found that action lacking, to say the least.

The question is also, is it worth the money to him?

I guess this is not your usual boarder/bo situation, since I do teach at the barn, and do other various and sundry tasks. My students would follow me.

When I had a horse out for training, I paid for the stall. However, I was strictly a rough boarder and did nothing work wise for the BO. I planned that cost into the expense of doing training.

It would have been decent of the BO to have had this conversation with you at the time you told them you were planning this. That way, everyone is on the same page.

And, FWIW, I would say to never pay for services that you won't receive. It leads to the expectation that you can be charged for things on a whim.

1 members found this post helpful.

Thank you Lady Counselor!

How I feel has a lot to do with how he did this! He has had plenty of time to have a conversation with me about it.

I did recive the Vet services, he just collected my money very early. I now deal directly with the Vet and am billed by his office. I do not plan on ever being put in that position again. To me that was very underhanded.

Doesn't sound like you have a very good relationship at all with the BO. Perhaps he is the type that can't get along with any of the boarders/trainers he depends on to keep the ship afloat? Amazing how so many barn owners really don't 'get it.'

Not quite sure what the vet bill had to do with anything-if your horse hadn't seen the vet. Don't you pay the vet directly?

But they are the BO's so they hold the cards. I would look for alternative arrangements if it were me--if they refuse to learn, no matter what, I can't stand having to tip toe around someone else's ignorance.

I find it odd that he was surprised for your request for a Coggins test. Are these not done on a regular basis for the horses in the barn? If not, I would be getting out of there in a hurry anyway! My horses are all tested annually, and they are kept at home and one of them hasn't gone off the property in years!
    It's not about the color of the ribbon but the quality of the ride. Having said that, I'd like the blue one please!

For the most part we do have a good working relationship.

He never had a lesson program before, and now has some internet ad's going.

The Vet bill thing was, when I asked for a coggis with spring shots, he seemed to think that meant I was leaving, and made me pay far in advance . So he, the BO had my money for sometime, not the Vet.

I now deal directly with the Vet.

There is a Plan B firmly in place.

I would rather stay,my horse is happy. But I will do what I have to do, as we all must do, in the end.

That drawstaws in another concern of mine. No one really leaves this barn as they have huge acerage to ride on, but that to me is not an excuse not to have a current coggins, as they are riding out miles and miles...

No one there asks for one, because" they do not show"

I keep my horse UTD, period.