The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Default Gift idea for a teenager

Hi all, I'm looking for a specific gift idea and since I'm not a teenager anymore I'm clueless and was hoping someone here could help me. The kid in question is a 16 year old girl and lives in the UK, has a horse, show jumps, does a little eventing locally and works for a farm. Right now I'm in the US. Since she has all the basic horse stuff she needs so I want to get her whatever the cool kids in the US are into right now for a gift. I'd prefer something you can't get at all in Europe but mainly it has to be something a (practical, hard-working) teenage girl would appreciate and that's not commonly available over there. I'd like to keep it under $100 and, obviously, horse related. Just something a little different that she won't get from anyone else. Books, clothing brands, most excellent winter items.... I'm pretty open to anything.

Thanks for any suggestions!

Oh, and yes, I ride too so I'll be sure to get the right size/ style of item.

My 12 year old riding daughter gets things like riding gloves, bridle charms, rhythm beads once (she liked them and they were pretty but she lost interest in them), pretty halters for her pretty horse, horse related frames/pictures, irideon hot and cold weather clothes, under armour cold weather gear, this year she's getting a new mp3 of some sort...

My 16 year old daughter and her friends are very into plaid breeches, argyle socks and polo shirts in matching colors right now. They are aspiring DQs. Also polo wraps in solid colors with plaid velcro straps, pretty sheets/blankets, for the horse, not the bed, horse related jewelry and nice saddle pads with some trim or decoration, i.e., black with a silver cord around the edge, white with a breed logo, other classy color/trim combinations.
    "The captive bolt is not a proper tool for slaughter of equids they regain consciousness 30 seconds after being struck fully aware they are being vivisected." Dr Friedlander DVM & frmr Chief USDA Insp

A nice leather halter with her favorite color padding and her horses name engraved on it?

Monograms are the big thing for my 16 year old. If you are going non-horsey, the monogram necklaces are a must have (right at $100). If you want something more practical, a monogrammed jacket would be a good idea(vary significantly in pricing).

Almost 16-year-old girl weighing in here:

Personally, I would live it if I got a monogrammed jacket that would be good for barn use. A monogrammed saddle pad would be nice too, especially in black or white with nice trim. Other colors like blue and green and pink are cute, but black and white look good on almost any horse, plus they hardly ever look tacky (no pun intended). Not sure how much of a tack cleaning nut she is, but really really good saddle soap would be nice too. OHHH OHHH OHH. I just thought of something else! A nice grooming tote with some good quality brushes and maybe some good shampoo, conditioner,shine spray (like showsheen or vetrolin), and hoof conditioner/polish would be a really great gift too. Personally, I would love to get something like that, but I'm kind of a grooming feind...
    Anyway, just some ideas.
    If i smell like peppermint, I gave my horse treats.
    If I smell like shampoo, I gave my horse a bath.
    If I smell like manure, I tripped.

It's tough because they have such nice quality items in Europe that we (me) tend to covet. My initial thought was something very American that may be harder to find or more expensive over there...
    Ariat breeches or jacket? There's a nice red-white-blue Ariat soft-shell jacket right now. (Obviously could be UK colors, says Ariat down the sleeve.)
    Walsh halter with nameplate?
    Born under a rock and owned by beasts!

Call it a little silly...but I'd send her a really good pair of tasteful American cowboy boots.

The aforementioned Ariat softshell jacket would be very smart. They also made a team technical polo shirt that retailed around $50.

Finally, Kerrits is a hard brand to get in the UK, and most UK overtrousers are not very attractive...so she might appreciate a pair of Kerrits' very stylish, not-ugly riding knickers. They feature Kerrits GripTek material which will just about velcro you to a saddle, so even if she's got a pair of waterproof overtrousers, she may prefer these.
    http://www.kerrits.com/Equestrian-Ap...rs-26p2785.htm