The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Default "The Eighty Dollar Champion"

I'm sure this book has been discussed on this thread already, but I just have to say how great it is! I'm learning so much about the history of show jumping, and of some great riders, horses and trainers of the past. Have others enjoyed this book as much as I have?

While I'm at it, have others read "Falling for Eli"? Another GREAT horsey must read!

I read it months ago and loved it!! I am big on history and underdog-type stories (and horses, obviously ), so it was perfect.

I read it a while ago and also really enjoyed it. For me, it wasn't history, I was showing when Snowman was around. But it was still a nice trip down memory lane.

1 members found this post helpful.

I read it, liked it but it wasn't my favorite. There is a great book out called "Renegade Champion" that is about Fitzrada, which I'd recommend if you liked the book about Snowman. It's also well-written (I thought it was better written, actually) and a great story!

Quote Originally Posted by supershorty628 View Post
    I read it, liked it but it wasn't my favorite. There is a great book out called "Renegade Champion" that is about Fitzrada, which I'd recommend if you liked the book about Snowman. It's also well-written (I thought it was better written, actually) and a great story!
    I just finished reading this based on your recommendation. (I felt the same way about 80 Dollar). I was really impressed with the writing and enjoyed it so much. Thanks, SS!
    A helmet saved my life.

2014 goal: learn to ride like TheHorseProblem, er, a barn rat!

I enjoyed the book for the history, but unlike others I found the writing style to be very pedantic. It was one of two horse books I ever thought I wouldn't make it through on the style alone. (the other one I did not finish)
    I wouldn't have wanted to miss the opportunity to read it. The Snowman story is a classic and I've loved it since I read the children's book decades ago.

I haven't read the book, but one of the priests at my church has and talked about it in a sermon.

I am reading it now and have enjoyed the History of the horse world in that era. I love to read Rags to Riches stories especialy when it involves animals.
    "An ordinary trainer cannot hear a Horse speak, a Good trainer can, a Great trainer can hear them whisper and a Top Trainer can HEAR them Think." John O'Leary