The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Default Computer People! Search Engine Woes

I have been having very frustrating issues with search engines lately. It started with Google, I switched to Bing which worked for a while, and now am having the same problems again.

The issue:
    When I do a simple search for, say, cheese sticks, I get all the usual results. Then when I click on one of the suggested websites, I get sent somewhere completely different and have to do some mad clicking of the back button to get back to my search page. Then if I double click on the site I have a slightly better chance of getting there. Sometimes it takes three back and forth attempts. I have done searches about this problem but am not getting any good answers. My current browser is Firefox and I have removed it and reinstalled it. Before that it was IE. I have also done virus scans and malware scans.

Do you notice the issue appearing anywhere else? (IE...when you're typing a document, the text may jump around a bit?)

I'm almost inclined to think that it's not an issue with the browser (as you've experienced the issue with several/fresh installs) but actually an issue with your touch pad or mouse, in that it's not actually clicking where you want to click.

What do you mean when it "sends you somewhere else"? Are you going to particular sites? Are they related at all?

I would suspect virus, otherwise, but if the scan found nothing...

I haven't had any problems with things jumping around on the screen.
    I just searched for 'poetic forms', the normal bing search results page came up, I clicked on poetry.org and it sent me to a white screen with giant blue words that list choices Concrete Forms, Poetic Forms, Forms and Templates, it looks like a generic search result page. Other times it sends me to some kind of clicksearch page, and it can be hard to get back to the original Bing page. At times if I double click the page I want I can get there the first time, but not always. I'm probably not explaining this very well, but I hope you get the idea of what's going on.

Sounds like you may have picked up a "redirect" type virus somewhere. Same exact thing happened to me several months ago - all of a sudden, my Google search results wouldn't go where they were supposed to go. I found several references to a "Google redirect virus", but all the "fixes" suggested cost money.

Fortunately my husband does system back-ups regularly, so he just restored my computer's drive with a version from a few days earlier.

That's what it sounds like to me anyway. Good luck!
    Equus Keepus Brokus

I'll have to second what Liberty said. Sounds like the scan didn't pick something up, and you've got a virus/bug somewhere.

Do you have any browser add-ons installed? If not, I'm inclined to say it is in fact a virus.

If you're decent with computers, there's a step-by-step guide here:
    http://deletemalware.blogspot.com/20...ect-virus.html

If not, you may need to pay someone to fix it for you, OR, if you have it set up, go back and do a System Restore.
    The dude abides ...

Check your network settings and look for a "network proxy port" setting that is enabled. The local network may be redirected through a Trojan port that alters Dns and logs keystrokes.
    Nudging "Almost Heaven" a little closer still...
    http://www.wvhorsetrainer.com

I've been having redirects via Google sending me to Search By Title/Click Check stuff, have to hit the back up key several times then the click will usually take me to the right place. I've had the Best Buy folks work with it twice, the second person seemed to know what he was doing, but I'm still getting the issues. I've started typing the address manually from the google search.

Sounds like a virus.

Stop using the computer (full stop) and find someone to fix it. This isn't something I'd count on a box store/retailer's staff to be able to address. You really need somebody who is more versed in more than just your standard spyware/maleware/crapware/run-of-the-mill viruses. Not saying you won't find that at a box store, just saying I wouldn't bet on your paticular box store having this person on staff.

Frankly, if it was my machine? I wouldn't even bother trying to remove it. It'd just be faster and cheaper for me to replace my harddrive.
    "The nice thing about memories is the good ones are stronger and linger longer than the bad and we sure have some incredibly good memories." - EverythingButWings

Um, yes, stop using, more specially unplug it, or remove the battery so it's dead.
    It could be raping your Pc and sending everything it finds to a computer in the internet, yes, even when you are not using it it can do it's damage.
    I hope you don't use the same password and don't have your banking information on it, and check your balances at your bank's ATM next time you visit.
    Ugh.
    Oh, I see you have a blog. Don't post there using this PC.

Quote Originally Posted by Opus1 View Post
    Do you have any browser add-ons installed? If not, I'm inclined to say it is in fact a virus.

If you're decent with computers, there's a step-by-step guide here:
    http://deletemalware.blogspot.com/20...ect-virus.html

If not, you may need to pay someone to fix it for you, OR, if you have it set up, go back and do a System Restore.
    My husband and I did all these things in the link. I guess I will have to take my laptop in to the computer shop.

Clarksdale, MS--the golden buckle on the cotton belt

I use Ixquick.com Try that. If you are still having the problem, then it isn't search engine related.

For a browser try either Comodo Dragon or Comodo Dragon Ice. The first is a security enhanced and more private version of Chrome; the second is a security enhanced version of Firefox. If you are still having problems, you do have malware somewhere on your computer or a possible hardware problem.
    "I'm a lumberjack, and I'm okay."
    Thread killer Extraordinaire

Henrico, NC 36 30'50.49" N 77 50'17.47" W

Yeah. Redirect virus as others have said. Go use someone else's computer and do a Google search for" removing redirect virus".

try this: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=y-O3Nno3P1Q

Quote Originally Posted by vineyridge View Post
    I use Ixquick.com Try that. If you are still having the problem, then it isn't search engine related.

For a browser try either Comodo Dragon or Comodo Dragon Ice. The first is a security enhanced and more private version of Chrome; the second is a security enhanced version of Firefox. If you are still having problems, you do have malware somewhere on your computer or a possible hardware problem.
    I switched to ixquick and it works like it should. What does that mean? Do I still have a virus or was it a glitch?

Clarksdale, MS--the golden buckle on the cotton belt

Quote Originally Posted by Crackerdog View Post
    I switched to ixquick and it works like it should. What does that mean? Do I still have a virus or was it a glitch?
    You probably still have a virus that is specific to Google and Bing code. Ixquick doesn't have the built in user tracking features that Google and Bing do, and those provide fertile ground for malware.

Definitely do a full depth virus boot scan (do you use Avast? You can schedule a boot scan that will run the next time the computer boots. It will take a very long time to run.) Then run do all the other things suggested. In the meanwhile, keep using Ixquick for your search engine. You could get the instructions for removing redirect virus by searching on Ixquick. Save them to your desktop in case you need them.
    "I'm a lumberjack, and I'm okay."
    Thread killer Extraordinaire

I've done everything I feel confident doing so tomorrow I will be heading to the computer shop. If anyone has read this who also reads my blog, I will be making posts from my daughter's laptop until mine is sorted out, so don't worry about possible infection, if that even happens with this particular virus. Everything I have read says it's limited to me personally so you all should be safe.

Not exactly your problem, but Google gave too much chaff that had to be winnowed from the desired sites to suit me. I get much more useful results from Yahoo!
    “There are two ways to conquer and enslave a nation. One is by the sword. The other is by debt.”
    John Adams

Make sure you don't pay an arm and a leg.

Start your pc in safe mode with networking, download malwarebytes (it's free) run a full scan, it will find it and remove it automatically, restart the computer normally and rerun another full scan. I can talk you through it if you would like but if you are more comfortable bringing it someplace that is fine but please stay away from geeksquad/bestbuy
    The one good thing about repeating your mistakes is that you know when to cringe.