The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results
 
Page 6 of 16 FirstFirst ... 45678 ... LastLast
Results 101 to 120 of 314
  1. #101
    Join Date
    Mar. 30, 2007
    Location
    Hollowed out volcano in the South Pacific.
    Posts
    11,125

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by BuddyRoo View Post
    I just wish we could see who was up or downing a post because I'm pretty sure that on more than one occasion, someone just gets pissed off about post A and proceeds to "stalk" and thumbs down every post they can find from the poster who pissed them off.
    I get that a lot. It is what it is.
    Thus do we growl that our big toes have,
    at this moment, been thrown up from below!


    2 members found this post helpful.

  2. #102
    Join Date
    Jan. 25, 2011
    Location
    Southern Pines, NC
    Posts
    2,336

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by BuddyRoo View Post
    When I get a thumbs down, I go back, re read what I wrote, think about why it may have gotten the thumbs down. Was I insensitive in my response? Not tactful? Did I get my facts wrong? Did I inadvertently offend someone? I really do think about those posts. If I take the time to respond to a post, my goal is to effectively communicate something. I often fail at being concise--I'm working on it. I hate feeling misunderstood. I rarely, if ever, post just to be snarky. Even when I vehemently disagree, I try to be diplomatic about it. So when I see a thumbs down, I think "well, you didn't do a good job on THAT one."

    And when I see a thumbs up I think, "okay, you're on the right track."

    I do pay attention. I just wish we could see who was up or downing a post because I'm pretty sure that on more than one occasion, someone just gets pissed off about post A and proceeds to "stalk" and thumbs down every post they can find from the poster who pissed them off.
    That's exactly how I feel about it. I don't really use thumbs down unless a post is just plain ignorant and other people have already explained why (and then I go give them a thumbs up).
    I've heard there's more to life than an FEI tent and hotel rooms, so I'm trying it.


    2 members found this post helpful.

  3. #103
    Join Date
    Dec. 2, 2004
    Posts
    3,220

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by paulaedwina View Post
    It's like the person (or persons -who knows) just hit my name and found all my previous posts just to red thumb them or something. I don't know, I can't suss out motivation through the internet ether, but it is just weird. So I call them thumb stalkers.

    Paula
    I found this post over on the breeding threads

    "I consider this to be a new form of internet stalking. What word can we coin for this??

    Dumbthumbers.
    Thumbbullies.
    Thumbmentalitis.
    Thumbbodysgotagrudgeitis.
    Thumbf*ckers!"


    The truth is what you can get other people to believe.

    -- Tommy Smothers


    4 members found this post helpful.

  4. #104
    Join Date
    Sep. 19, 2008
    Location
    Half past the point of oblivion
    Posts
    924

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by jenm View Post
    I have used it, mostly for posts that really add nothing relevant to the topic being discussed. For instance, there was recently a thread in Off Course that went south with posts about grilled cheese sandwiches. It bothers me when I'm trying to read real comments but then have to weed through 2 pages of people making comments they think are funny but just take up space and serve no purpose.

    I do agree with the other posters on this thread, in that if I disagree with someone, I would prefer to post my thoughts rather than hitting the red thumb.
    I gave you the thumbs down, and here's why. I would never have guessed you were giving grilled cheese comments a thumbs down because you dislike a little funny digression. I would guess that you don't like grilled cheese, or battered grilled cheese, or Lex, or that you were randomly or accidentally hitting down thumbs. See, here's a perfectly good illustration of why the thumbs down is useless. You could have 1 time written "hey guys, can we stick to the topic" and we would know what you were thinking. Instead, you probably gave a thumbs down to 5 or 6 different posts and no one ever figured out why.
    Holy crap, how does Darwin keep missing you? ~Lauruffian


    5 members found this post helpful.

  5. #105
    Join Date
    Jun. 14, 2006
    Location
    VA
    Posts
    11,372

    Default

    Agree AXL. I like grilled cheese and it made my day to learn that Lex does too. I think for our next lunch, we shall seek out a good grilled cheese. (thumbs down away!!!)
    A good horseman doesn't have to tell anyone...the horse already knows.

    Might be a reason, never an excuse...


    3 members found this post helpful.

  6. #106
    Join Date
    Nov. 2, 2001
    Location
    Packing my bags
    Posts
    30,949

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by LexInVA View Post
    I get that a lot. It is what it is.
    I thought you only got green ones! But yeah, when I opened up the list (I am a bit OCD, I HAVE to check my notifications!) I was first surprised, then in awe when I saw nothing but 'bad' thumbs, 165 within a couple of hours....it does make me wonder...and chuckle! Maybe time to get out of the basement! I don't red thumb. because it does not convey why I do not agree with a person.
    Quote Originally Posted by Mozart View Post
    Personally, I think the moderate use of shock collars in training humans should be allowed.



  7. #107
    Join Date
    Dec. 29, 1999
    Location
    Harrisburg, PA USA
    Posts
    5,707

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by AliCat View Post
    I don't like the anonymous thing. If you feel so strongly to click that big bad red thumb, your name should be attached to it.
    I don't think it's a "big bad red thumb," I think it's what SaturdayNightLive says. It just means I disagree, or yeah, that particular post is asshat-able. Doesn't mean you hate the poster. I've hardly used it at all, ever; I have used the thumbs up much much more.


    6 members found this post helpful.

  8. #108
    Join Date
    Dec. 29, 1999
    Location
    Harrisburg, PA USA
    Posts
    5,707

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by AliCat View Post
    I mean, virtually all of these ratings come from me sharing my thoughts for all to read. It annoys me that I get so many people who don't share their own thoughts
    All it means is that people are disagreeing with you, and since there are over 100 responses and 6 pages worth of this thread, seems plenty of people are sharing their thoughts with you. Probably the same ones who gave you the thumbs down.


    12 members found this post helpful.

  9. #109
    Join Date
    Dec. 2, 2009
    Posts
    3,066

    Default

    Yea but Anne, someone thumbs downed my post, which was to say "I don't use it because I'm loquacious".

    I didn't say anyone else had to be loquacious.

    I didn't say if you used the thumb you were a bad person.

    What is there possibly to disagree with in that post, other than the fact that I'm loquacious in writing? And I think anyone who has met me REALIZES that I'm loquacious, so I don't think anyone is disagreeing with that.

    Does someone not like me being loquacious? Possible. But that seems strange, given the fact that we're on a discussion board, a place for...discussing things.

    What I'm seeing is that it has nada to do with whether one actually disagrees with the actual content of the post, but whether one agrees or disagrees with the general vibe of the post and how you feel about the subject matter.

    This is decidedly less helpful.

    I'm not hurt in the least by it, but it does take me much more time to try to figure out what on earth was meant by the thumb, particularly because I like to understand other people's thoughts related to what I put out into the world. Since, yanno, I am interested in multiple viewpoints and am always open to the idea that I might be wrong.

    Of course, I don't get many bad thumbs, so I could always just pretend that someone just missed the icon. And since you can't see or change which way you thumb something...well, who knows!



  10. #110
    Join Date
    Jan. 17, 2008
    Location
    New England
    Posts
    1,968

    Default

    I got a thumbs down for posting about my kids size. Seriously.


    2 members found this post helpful.

  11. #111
    Join Date
    Apr. 17, 2002
    Location
    between the barn and the pond
    Posts
    14,215

    Default

    What's funny is that whomever did that, LBM, could have meant it sympathetically, as in 'dang, that's gotta be hard on you...I hereby thumb down your aching back'....there was a similar thread a while back that I recall the OP being all ??? and I recall thinking, I wonder if the red thumb was a 'dang, that DOES suck' sort of response.

    regardless, tis just a button a BB, and nothing more


    2 members found this post helpful.

  12. #112
    Join Date
    Apr. 17, 2002
    Location
    between the barn and the pond
    Posts
    14,215

    Default

    And now I want to go to Panera for a Big Kid Grilled Cheese sandwich.


    1 members found this post helpful.

  13. #113
    Join Date
    Dec. 29, 1999
    Location
    Harrisburg, PA USA
    Posts
    5,707

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by axl View Post
    I gave you the thumbs down, and here's why. I would never have guessed you were giving grilled cheese comments a thumbs down because you dislike a little funny digression. .... See, here's a perfectly good illustration of why the thumbs down is useless.
    Too funny. (I gave this post a Thumbs Up.)

    But I don't think it shows why Thumbs Down is useless - if someone doesn't like the digressions and gives a TD, big deal, they're just telling you they don't like the digressions, and most of us here deal just fine with that and move on. But if 20 people give digressions a TD, that's telling us, hmmm, the group didn't appreciate me going OT so I'll get back on track.

    Or else it means that no one around here has the scintillating sense of humor my post displayed. Or that they hate grilled cheese.

    From now on when I get a Thumbs Down I'll just say to myself, "there's another one who doesn't like grilled cheese."


    3 members found this post helpful.

  14. #114
    Join Date
    Mar. 22, 2005
    Location
    Where it is perpetually winter
    Posts
    5,034

    Default

    But was it a discussion about purist grilled cheese, or was it about grilled cheese with tomato, or with bacon, or with tomato soup, or...

    This is making me hungry for grilled cheese and I don't have any cheese to make one with. Thumbs down!!


    3 members found this post helpful.

  15. #115
    Join Date
    Apr. 6, 2006
    Location
    Virginia
    Posts
    1,622

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by katarine View Post
    And now I want to go to Panera for a Big Kid Grilled Cheese sandwich.
    OMG you suck for reminding me of that! Now I HAVE to go get grilled cheese for lunch. It's the perfect day for it too - gloomy, damp and cold.


    1 members found this post helpful.

  16. #116
    Join Date
    Mar. 22, 2005
    Location
    Where it is perpetually winter
    Posts
    5,034

    Default

    Is a Panera grilled cheese notably better than a grilled cheese somewhere else? I have never ordered anything there other than the broccoli cheddar soup or the mac and cheese...

    Now I want some broccoli cheddar soup. Darn you people.


    1 members found this post helpful.

  17. #117
    Join Date
    Dec. 2, 2009
    Posts
    3,066

    Default

    I was wondering the same thing, supershorty. I don't eat there frequently because it's downtown and I hate going downtown because I have to park. I hate parking.



  18. #118

    Default

    I gave a red thumb to someone on the breeding forum without offering an explanation because it was clear from their posts on the thread that they were convinced they were right, they weren't looking for a discussion or to learn anything, and they were bordering on rude without provocation, like they were looking for a fight. Even if I weren't new to the forums I wouldn't reply to a person like that, so I used my first red thumb.

    I don't have any opinions on grilled cheese


    6 members found this post helpful.

  19. #119
    Join Date
    Mar. 16, 2009
    Location
    Near the cupcake shop
    Posts
    2,086

    Default

    Since I last logged in (less than 18 hours ago), I have gotten 201 BAD post rating.


    4 members found this post helpful.

  20. #120
    Join Date
    Sep. 19, 2008
    Location
    Half past the point of oblivion
    Posts
    924

    Default

    I would like to clarify that I thumbs up all things with cheese.

    Also, that I don't suffer a hit to my self-esteem if I get a thumbs down. I just really hate wasting time wondering. Sometimes (i.e. political stuff) I expect people to disagree. And sometimes I get a thumbs down and spend an hour wondering why, and I really hate that.
    Holy crap, how does Darwin keep missing you? ~Lauruffian


    2 members found this post helpful.

Similar Threads

  1. Why were my CL horse posts "alerted" on but others NOT?
    By bayou_bengal in forum Off Course
    Replies: 9
    Last Post: Sep. 11, 2011, 02:12 PM
  2. Replies: 64
    Last Post: Jan. 31, 2011, 06:53 AM
  3. Replies: 1
    Last Post: Feb. 22, 2010, 07:12 AM
  4. Replies: 2
    Last Post: Jan. 8, 2010, 11:01 AM
  5. CSH people - "first premium" offspring? "Elite" mares?
    By lowroller in forum Sport Horse Breeding
    Replies: 11
    Last Post: May. 6, 2008, 10:25 PM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •