The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results
 
Page 2 of 16 FirstFirst 123412 ... LastLast
Results 21 to 40 of 314
  1. #21
    Join Date
    Mar. 16, 2009
    Location
    Near the cupcake shop
    Posts
    2,269

    Default

    I mean, virtually all of these ratings come from me sharing my thoughts for all to read. It annoys me that I get so many people who don't share their own thoughts but make sure that I log in and see this:


    Post Name Rating
    6720817 #6720817 - Are you one of the people who gives posts "bad" ratings? Bad
    6720640 #6720640 - Good
    6720840 #6720840 - Good
    6720640 #6720640 - Bad
    6720640 #6720640 - Bad
    6720640 #6720640 - Good
    6720640 #6720640 - Bad
    6689520 #6689520 - Bad
    6689509 #6689509 - Bad
    6689498 #6689498 - Bad
    6689467 #6689467 - Bad
    6689459 #6689459 - Bad
    6689454 #6689454 - Bad
    6689390 #6689390 - Bad
    6689388 #6689388 - Bad
    6689372 #6689372 - Bad
    6689233 #6689233 - Bad
    6689109 #6689109 - Bad
    6689104 #6689104 - Bad
    6688898 #6688898 - Bad
    6688918 #6688918 - Bad
    6688930 #6688930 - Bad
    6688978 #6688978 - Bad
    6689087 #6689087 - Bad
    6689082 #6689082 - Bad
    6689233 #6689233 - Bad
    6689135 #6689135 - Bad
    6655341 #6655341 - Good
    6655308 #6655308 - Good
    6689135 #6689135 - Good
    6689372 #6689372 - Bad
    6689498 #6689498 - Bad
    6689109 #6689109 - Bad
    6689104 #6689104 - Bad
    6689087 #6689087 - Bad
    6689082 #6689082 - Bad
    6688918 #6688918 - Bad
    6688898 #6688898 - Bad
    6689509 #6689509 - Good
    6689498 #6689498 - Good
    6689135 #6689135 - Good
    6689233 #6689233 - Good
    6689104 #6689104 - Bad
    6689109 #6689109 - Bad
    6688978 #6688978 - Bad
    6688898 #6688898 - Bad
    6689233 #6689233 - Good
    6689135 #6689135 - Good
    6689233 #6689233 - Bad
    6689135 #6689135 - Bad


    4 members found this post helpful.

  2. #22
    Join Date
    Aug. 2, 2004
    Location
    Whidbey Is, Wash.
    Posts
    9,884

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by AliCat View Post
    I don't like the anonymous thing. If you feel so strongly to click that big bad red thumb, your name should be attached to it.
    This, and I think people who dislike one of your posts and then hunts down everything you've posted that day or week or whatever and thumb them down also should just grow up. I've literally had one controversial post (ok, not one, but in this example ) that will get an understandable thumb down...but then I'll get notifications within less than 10 minutes of about 18 other negatives, and they will be different threads, in different categories (Off Course to Eventing to Tech Assistance), and not be anything controversial, like "My horse never learned to crib."
    COTH's official mini-donk enabler

    "I am all for reaching out, but in some situations it needs to be done with a rolled up news paper." Alagirl


    9 members found this post helpful.

  3. #23
    Join Date
    Mar. 6, 2002
    Location
    Oregon
    Posts
    5,990

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by AliCat View Post
    IMO, anonymous notifications every time I say something that doesn't sit well with someone does absolutely nothing to enhance my experience or discussion on the board.
    I red-thumbed your OP.

    Why?

    Because, based on your subsequent posts, I feel that you only posed the question in an effort to draw out red thumb users and voice your own disapproval at them directly. The thumbs have been discussed ad naseum. I'm sorry you feel that every COTH poster is responsible for enhancing your experience on this board, but I didn't see that as a requirement in the rules.


    How's that? Better?
    What lies behind us and what lies before us are tiny matters compared to what
    lies with in us. - Emerson


    36 members found this post helpful.

  4. #24
    Join Date
    Apr. 16, 2002
    Location
    ontario, canada
    Posts
    2,433

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Isabeau Z Solace View Post
    I don't think there is much point to the 'thumbs down.' It basically amounts to anonymous bullying. It does not foster anything useful, positive, or community building. It's basically saying "5 out of 10 anonymous people who have never met you think you suck."

    Overall, it is only a force for negativity. I
    First off, I don't particularly care if COTH has the thumbs up/down feature or not. I don't really find that it adds any value, but that's just me.

    That said...why in the world would you assume that a thumbs down is bullying or that the person who opts to select the red thumb is saying that the poster of the post in question sucks?

    The whole point of a BB like COTH is to exchange ideas/get input. Sometimes, someone will read your post and disagree. Now, in many cases they will post a response and address the things they disagree with. But if the platform affords them the option to simply select a thumbs down, and they elect to do so...what is the big deal? Why does it need to be perceived as some sort of personal slight?


    18 members found this post helpful.

  5. #25
    Join Date
    Jun. 21, 2009
    Location
    Hunterdon County NJ
    Posts
    3,009

    Default

    Yes AliCat, I agree that there is not only nothing productive about ^^, but I can't fathom the logic behind the language. "Good/Bad." Really? How about "Agree/Disagree." What genius decided on "Bad?"


    5 members found this post helpful.

  6. #26
    Join Date
    Sep. 7, 2009
    Location
    Lexington, KY
    Posts
    19,517

    Default

    No. I give a public thumbs down in a post. I don't like the anonymous crap.
    "We can judge the heart of a man by his treatment of animals." ~Immanuel Kant


    2 members found this post helpful.

  7. #27
    Join Date
    Jun. 21, 2009
    Location
    Hunterdon County NJ
    Posts
    3,009

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Backstage View Post
    The whole point of a BB like COTH is to exchange ideas/get input. Sometimes, someone will read your post and disagree. Now, in many cases they will post a response and address the things they disagree with. But if the platform affords them the option to simply select a thumbs down, and they elect to do so...what is the big deal? Why does it need to be perceived as some sort of personal slight?
    The word "Bad" is really an extraordinarily bad choice. I think agree/disagree is more reasonable.

    And the very fact that there have been several threads on this topic demonstrates that there are concerns about the system as it stands.

    Do you think changing to Agree/Disagree is really so unacceptable?


    6 members found this post helpful.

  8. #28
    Join Date
    Mar. 6, 2002
    Location
    Oregon
    Posts
    5,990

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by LauraKY View Post
    No. I give a public thumbs down in a post. I don't like the anonymous crap.
    So tie usernames to each thumb. I guarantee that plenty would happily own them.
    What lies behind us and what lies before us are tiny matters compared to what
    lies with in us. - Emerson


    15 members found this post helpful.

  9. #29
    Join Date
    Mar. 16, 2009
    Location
    Near the cupcake shop
    Posts
    2,269

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Heinz 57 View Post
    I red-thumbed your OP.

    Why?

    Because, based on your subsequent posts, I feel that you only posed the question in an effort to draw out red thumb users and voice your own disapproval at them directly. The thumbs have been discussed ad naseum. I'm sorry you feel that every COTH poster is responsible for enhancing your experience on this board, but I didn't see that as a requirement in the rules.


    How's that? Better?
    Thankfully people who moderate this board actually seem to use what people are saying to help improve this place.

    Did you notice there is a sticky above that has a poll trying to get people to rate the thumbs up/down system? Not many have, as when I last looked a few hours ago, it had all of 2xx votes.

    One of the questions in the poll asks if they should keep thumbs up, and get rid of thumbs down (which was the most popular vote as of that moment).

    Having a discussion about why people find thumbs down to be beneficial to them is hardly an inappropriate topic, especially when the majority wants to see it go away. This was your opportunity to explain why you think it makes sense, and your response was quite compelling.


    3 members found this post helpful.

  10. #30
    Join Date
    Feb. 25, 2012
    Location
    Montana
    Posts
    2,849

    Default

    Nope. Just post that I disagree. I also see no point in some anonymous "thumbs down". I like the GREEN thumb because there are posts I read and think "wow, well written. totally agree". I like that green thumb!


    7 members found this post helpful.

  11. #31
    Join Date
    Apr. 16, 2002
    Location
    ontario, canada
    Posts
    2,433

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Isabeau Z Solace View Post
    The word "Bad" is really an extraordinarily bad choice. I think agree/disagree is more reasonable.

    And the very fact that there have been several threads on this topic demonstrates that there are concerns about the system as it stands.

    Do you think changing to Agree/Disagree is really so unacceptable?
    Of course not. But I'm not hung up on labels. I'm rational enough to comprehend that the individual who selects the 'thumbs down' is not responsible for the words used on the BB software.


    6 members found this post helpful.

  12. #32
    Join Date
    Mar. 6, 2002
    Location
    Oregon
    Posts
    5,990

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by AliCat View Post
    Thankfully people who moderate this board actually seem to use what people are saying to help improve this place.

    Did you notice there is a sticky above that has a poll trying to get people to rate the thumbs up/down system? Not many have, as when I last looked a few hours ago, it had all of 2xx votes.

    One of the questions in the poll asks if they should keep thumbs up, and get rid of thumbs down (which was the most popular vote as of that moment).

    Having a discussion about why people find thumbs down to be beneficial to them is hardly an inappropriate topic, especially when the majority wants to see it go away. This was your opportunity to explain why you think it makes sense, and your response was quite compelling.
    If you had begun your discussion this way, instead of attacking each poster who responded and explained their use of the red thumb, I wouldn't have given your OP a red thumb.

    What lies behind us and what lies before us are tiny matters compared to what
    lies with in us. - Emerson


    9 members found this post helpful.

  13. #33
    Join Date
    Nov. 18, 2010
    Location
    california
    Posts
    4,549

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Heinz 57 View Post
    I red-thumbed your OP.

    Why?

    Because, based on your subsequent posts, I feel that you only posed the question in an effort to draw out red thumb users and voice your own disapproval at them directly. The thumbs have been discussed ad naseum. I'm sorry you feel that every COTH poster is responsible for enhancing your experience on this board, but I didn't see that as a requirement in the rules.


    How's that? Better?
    Totally agree. Much ado about nothing....


    7 members found this post helpful.

  14. #34
    Join Date
    Mar. 16, 2009
    Location
    Near the cupcake shop
    Posts
    2,269

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Heinz 57 View Post
    If you had begun your discussion this way, instead of attacking each poster who responded and explained their use of the red thumb, I wouldn't have given your OP a red thumb.

    And you just illustrated exactly why the thumb down feature is asinine.

    I have had several people PM me to apologize for rating my posts a certain way before reading the whole thread, letting the conversation flow a little deeper, etc. I thought that it was nice that they reached out to me, but it does show how quick we are to rate things with knee jerk reactions.

    You felt that because you are a thumb down user that this thread was some sort of attack on you, and only after you got snarky with me and told me that my user experience didn't matter to individual posters (which is equally ridiculous because this is an online community and if the posters are not comfortable with each other, it will be less popular). Once I pointed out that COTH staff was polling users on how users felt about the thumbs up/down (despite the fact in your opinion I was bringing up a topic that was discussed "ad naseum"), your tune changed.


    2 members found this post helpful.

  15. #35
    Join Date
    Feb. 6, 2003
    Location
    NorthEast
    Posts
    24,600

    Default

    I use the thumb down once in a while, but use the thumb up a lot more often.

    Sometimes I also add a post to the thumbs down but not always. Why not? The times I don't bother adding a post is because it's been an ongoing discussion where the person I've thumbed down is obviously not open to actual discussion but just wants to lecture or complain...or is insisting on perpetuating incorrect notions, etc no matter what reply I've previously given. I'd be 100% for adding names to the thumbs up and down too. The times I don't add a post to a thumbs down is not because I want to remain anonymous, it's because it's faster and actually more socially polite than adding a second or third post stating, "You're completely ridiculous and thick as brick."

    IMO it's odd to give a thumb up or down the power over your feelings or "coth experience." Nothing can bother you without your express permission. It's not up to society at large to make everyone else always feel good about themselves. But then...people get upset that the thumb down is called "bad" but have no issues with thumb up being "good." So it's okay to tell people they're fantastic but never okay to tell them they may be wrong or you may disagree with them or think their idea/POV is "bad."

    Would it be better if the ratings were an angel and devil? A yin and yang? An arm and hammer?
    You jump in the saddle,
    Hold onto the bridle!
    Jump in the line!
    ...Belefonte


    14 members found this post helpful.

  16. #36
    Join Date
    Jan. 4, 2007
    Location
    TX
    Posts
    42,426

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by AliCat View Post
    I always assumed that the point of message boards was to have an open table discussion. If I think that my response to something I disagree with would be that inflammatory, I just choose not to post. I don't buy into the random thumbs down to show my disapproval.
    Quote Originally Posted by OneGrayPony View Post
    No. I don't use it. If I disagree, you'll know what it is that I disagree with and why. But I'm loquacious in writing naturally, so if I feel moved enough to respond at all, I'm probably writing a novel *anyway*.

    See. This probably could have been one word ;-)
    Never found any need to use either of those.
    If I have an opinion, the one I am talking to deserves to know what it is and why I agree or disagree.

    I consider thumbing an impolite and incomplete way to try to communicate anything.

    Since I am close to 1000 notifications, I guess some of those may be green, some red, but without any more to them, they become irrelevant and not worth of attention.


    6 members found this post helpful.

  17. #37
    Join Date
    Jul. 24, 2008
    Location
    Wimberley, TX
    Posts
    158

    Default

    I think there are much more important things in life to worry about, than how many red or green thumbs you get on a message board. Who cares, really?


    18 members found this post helpful.

  18. #38
    Join Date
    Mar. 6, 2002
    Location
    Oregon
    Posts
    5,990

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by AliCat View Post
    And you just illustrated exactly why the thumb down feature is asinine.

    I have had several people PM me to apologize for rating my posts a certain way before reading the whole thread, letting the conversation flow a little deeper, etc. I thought that it was nice that they reached out to me, but it does show how quick we are to rate things with knee jerk reactions.

    You felt that because you are a thumb down user that this thread was some sort of attack on you, and only after you got snarky with me and told me that my user experience didn't matter to individual posters (which is equally ridiculous because this is an online community and if the posters are not comfortable with each other, it will be less popular). Once I pointed out that COTH staff was polling users on how users felt about the thumbs up/down (despite the fact in your opinion I was bringing up a topic that was discussed "ad naseum"), your tune changed.
    *FACEPALM*

    This would be an instance of where I'd normally use the red thumb, no response. We are on much different pages and you are reading MUCH different things into my posts, than I intended to imply.

    Nice try.
    What lies behind us and what lies before us are tiny matters compared to what
    lies with in us. - Emerson


    23 members found this post helpful.

  19. #39
    Join Date
    Jun. 21, 2009
    Location
    Hunterdon County NJ
    Posts
    3,009

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by MistyBlue View Post
    Would it be better if the ratings were an angel and devil? A yin and yang? An arm and hammer?
    Agree/Disagree is not such a stretch of reasonability. So much that I don't understand how someone (or someones who organized the systen) did not hit such a relatively simple bullseye in the first place.

    I think the FB model has merit here. If you want to be negative, you have to at least use your own words.

    Think of it this way. A thumbs up is like a general bright smile to the world. It doesn't have to be specific to do be productive.

    But if I walk down the hall and scowl at you, then you are, rightly, going to wonder what the heck is the deal with that??


    2 members found this post helpful.

  20. #40
    Join Date
    Jun. 21, 2009
    Location
    Hunterdon County NJ
    Posts
    3,009

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Heinz 57 View Post
    *FACEPALM*

    This would be an instance of where I'd normally use the red thumb, no response. We are on much different pages and you are reading MUCH different things into my posts, than I intended to imply.

    Nice try.
    And this would be EXACTLY why a negative 'rating' on a post is not useful for communication.


    2 members found this post helpful.

Similar Threads

  1. Why were my CL horse posts "alerted" on but others NOT?
    By bayou_bengal in forum Off Course
    Replies: 9
    Last Post: Sep. 11, 2011, 03:12 PM
  2. Replies: 64
    Last Post: Jan. 31, 2011, 07:53 AM
  3. Replies: 1
    Last Post: Feb. 22, 2010, 08:12 AM
  4. Replies: 2
    Last Post: Jan. 8, 2010, 12:01 PM
  5. CSH people - "first premium" offspring? "Elite" mares?
    By lowroller in forum Sport Horse Breeding
    Replies: 11
    Last Post: May. 6, 2008, 11:25 PM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •