The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results
 
Page 5 of 16 FirstFirst ... 3456715 ... LastLast
Results 81 to 100 of 314
  1. #81
    Join Date
    Mar. 22, 2005
    Location
    Where it is perpetually winter
    Posts
    5,818

    Default

    Hmm. I'm not sure. This may be a work in progress.

    I do suspect that we're both going to get thumbs downs if we keep up this discussion


    1 members found this post helpful.

  2. #82
    Join Date
    Sep. 20, 2005
    Posts
    3,504

    Default

    Yeah, you're probably right...

    Where was this discussion going? Oh, right. Red thumbs are bad! No disagreeing unless you keep your thumbs where I can see them!
    "Are you yawning? You don't ride well enough to yawn. I can yawn, because I ride better than you. Meredith Michael Beerbaum can yawn. But you? Not so much..."
    -George Morris


    1 members found this post helpful.

  3. #83
    Join Date
    Jun. 16, 2009
    Posts
    559

    Default

    I thumbs downed the OP because I happen to like the thumbs and I cant understand how people are getting their panties in a bunch over a thumb ON THE INTERNET. Maybe they need thicker skin... Bring on the thumbs downs!!!
    -deuces


    18 members found this post helpful.

  4. #84
    Join Date
    Mar. 25, 2011
    Location
    Pennsylvania
    Posts
    5,397

    Default

    I mostly use the thumbs up when I dig the heck out of something someone said or posted because it was poetic, clever, cute, or like when Mike posts a neat picture. I've used the thumbs down purely out of petulance because I thought a post was mean or mean spirited. It doesn't happen often, but I have done it, regretted it, but am unable to undo it.

    Who I find absolutely freaky are the thumb stalkers -the ones that hunt down all your posts to give them a thumbs down. Like just recently I posted a question and the question got a thumbs down, then my notification alert would pop a new rating one at a time and they were for past posts completely unrelated, no new posts to the thread, ooold threads, etc. It's like the person (or persons -who knows) just hit my name and found all my previous posts just to red thumb them or something. I don't know, I can't suss out motivation through the internet ether, but it is just weird. So I call them thumb stalkers.

    Paula
    He is total garbage! Quick! Hide him on my trailer (Petstorejunkie).


    8 members found this post helpful.

  5. #85
    Join Date
    Mar. 4, 2004
    Location
    Louisville, KY
    Posts
    4,037

    Default

    Really, who cares? It's not a big deal. I've used the thumbs down (rarely), both with and without a follow up post. If names were attached, I'd do the same. It's a way of expressing a feeling, either with a thumb or with words. If you disagree, the person knows it either way.

    As adults, everyone should be aware (I hope) that 100% of people are not going to agree with you 100% of the time. Put on your big girl panties and get over it. (And frankly, there are some people...I would be more concerned if they DID agree with me. )

    Side note given recent events: I think in our society, we've lost the ability to politely disagree. I could not believe the fuss over the "heated presidential debates." They were DEBATES. Disagreement and discourse is GOOD. Not everyone agrees with you or likes you. And that's okay.
    Caitlin
    *OMGiH I Loff my Mare* and *My Saddlebred Can Do Anything Your Horse Can Do*
    http://community.webshots.com/user/redmare01


    8 members found this post helpful.

  6. #86
    Join Date
    Apr. 15, 2008
    Posts
    4,473

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by SaturdayNightLive View Post
    Yeah, you're probably right...

    Where was this discussion going? Oh, right. Red thumbs are bad! No disagreeing unless you keep your thumbs where I can see them!


    (No thumbs for me, but I do love emoticons. )



  7. #87
    Join Date
    Feb. 6, 2007
    Posts
    4,546

    Default

    I never have, but have gotten quite a few, it's bound to happen on political threads.

    But I do think that there are lurkers on here, who do nothing but troll and press the thumbs down button for no real reason, just because. I've seen thumbs down on posts that make me go "WTF?? why did THAT get a thumbs down?"



  8. #88

    Default

    I'm still waiting for the neutral thumb, for people who aren't sure if they agree or disagree but want to make sure everyone knows they are conflicted. Anonymously, of course.


    8 members found this post helpful.

  9. #89
    Join Date
    Aug. 15, 2008
    Posts
    4,668

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Halt Near X View Post
    I'm still waiting for the neutral thumb, for people who aren't sure if they agree or disagree but want to make sure everyone knows they are conflicted. Anonymously, of course.
    Brilliant!
    "Aye God, Woodrow..."



  10. #90
    Join Date
    Nov. 18, 2010
    Location
    california
    Posts
    5,041

    Default

    I guess I see a thumbs down as "I don't agree with your post but I cannot figure out how to disagree with you in writing, so I will just press a button", and with that enough said.


    7 members found this post helpful.

  11. #91
    Join Date
    Oct. 31, 2001
    Location
    West of insanity, east of apathy, deep in the heart of Texas.
    Posts
    15,918

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by AliCat View Post
    So you think that an anonymous notification to the user you disagreed with letting them know that a random person didn't like what they had to say is better than actual interaction or just not responding to the "offensive" post on any level?
    Yes. Because usually when I negatively rate a post, it's because it would take a virtual novel to express my disagreement, which would largely be ignored. And I hate wasting my time trying to reason with the unreasonable. So the "dislike" feature saves me a lot of time and ulcers.
    In loving memory of Laura Jahnke.
    A life lived by example, done too soon.
    www.caringbridge.org/page/laurajahnke/


    10 members found this post helpful.

  12. #92
    Join Date
    Jul. 31, 2007
    Posts
    17,025

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by twotrudoc View Post
    mvp----> BINGO!!!

    * I need to add that I agree with the idea or method mvp described, I happen to adore SNL and find her very fun to interact with here at COTH.
    I don't have an opinion about SNL one way or another. Nor is she/he the only person who likes the "thumbs down as great for all the same reasons that a drive-by shooting is great." So this isn't a personal diss.

    But I do wonder about you guys who follow this logic. I'm sure you'd hate being on the receiving end...yet either

    1) You don't think this will ever happen to you;

    2) Do think it will happen to you but don't care-- you're a tough old bird and IRL, you don't mind the anonymous person who gratuitously tells you that you suck.

    3) Do think it will happen to you and will care, but given the choice, you'd rather exploit an option that lets you treat people badly now and then figure out later how you feel about being on the receiving end of it.

    Glorifying the drive-by thumbs down makes no sense to me if you plan to be part of the COTH community for very long.
    The armchair saddler
    Politically Pro-Cat


    4 members found this post helpful.

  13. #93
    Join Date
    Nov. 2, 2001
    Location
    In Jingle Town
    Posts
    35,184

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by ESG View Post
    Yes. Because usually when I negatively rate a post, it's because it would take a virtual novel to express my disagreement, which would largely be ignored. And I hate wasting my time trying to reason with the unreasonable. So the "dislike" feature saves me a lot of time and ulcers.
    so you are lazy....what else is knew! the green thumb kind of replaces the " ^^ THIS!!" threads. nice to keep things from getting cluttered. but WTF? just saying 'I disagree' does not further the dialog and discussion. In any case, I just came to the conclusion that everybody loffs me, and the red thumbs are just because they got so exited that they accidentally hit the wrong one, probably having fat fingers on their smartphones.
    Quote Originally Posted by Bristol Bay View Post
    Try setting your broomstick to fly at a lower altitude.
    GNU Terry Prachett


    3 members found this post helpful.

  14. #94
    Join Date
    Dec. 31, 2000
    Location
    El Paso, TX
    Posts
    14,869

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Isabeau Z Solace View Post
    I don't think there is much point to the 'thumbs down.' It basically amounts to anonymous bullying. It does not foster anything useful, positive, or community building. It's basically saying "5 out of 10 anonymous people who have never met you think you suck."

    Overall, it is only a force for negativity. I
    No...it means 5 out of 10 people do not agree with your post.

    Seriously...some of you must have self esteem problems, or something. A thumbs down doesn't mean "I hate you and wish you were dead, beeyatch". It means.."I disagree with what you posted."

    I've used thumbs up and thumbs down. I don't reply to some posts just due to time, or it just isn't something I feel strongly about, or someone else already posted something similar to what I would have replied. But I've never given a thumbs down because I dislike someone, or think they suck. It's a BB..I don't KNOW anyone (with the exception of a couple of posters) personally, so COULDN'T dislike them. I may not agree with a few on certain subjects, like I disagree with Bluey's stance on slaughter, but have TU many of her other posts on other subjects.
    Some of you need to lighten up, and not take something that asks if someone agrees or disagrees with your post, personally.
    Hillary Clinton - proven liar, cheat, traitor and defender of rapists! Anyone but Hillary 2016! https://www.facebook.com/AntiHillary2016


    18 members found this post helpful.

  15. #95
    Join Date
    Jul. 31, 2007
    Posts
    17,025

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by jetsmom View Post
    A thumbs down doesn't mean "I hate you and wish you were dead, beeyatch". It means.."I disagree with what you posted."

    I've used thumbs up and thumbs down. I don't reply to some posts just due to time, or it just isn't something I feel strongly about, or someone else already posted something similar to what I would have replied. But I've never given a thumbs down because I dislike someone, or think they suck.
    I'll grant you what you say: Downward Facing Thumb is not the Middle Finger, or a categorical diss of the whole person.

    But what if the post is complicated? How would anyone know which part you disagreed with and why? If the poster took the time to write something, either return the favor or don't bother issuing an opinion. It seems like common courtesy-- the one that keeps the thumb and middle finger from being collapsed together in a mangled, disfigured mitt.
    The armchair saddler
    Politically Pro-Cat


    1 members found this post helpful.

  16. #96
    Join Date
    Dec. 31, 2000
    Location
    El Paso, TX
    Posts
    14,869

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by mvp View Post
    I'll grant you what you say: Downward Facing Thumb is not the Middle Finger, or a categorical diss of the whole person.

    But what if the post is complicated? How would anyone know which part you disagreed with and why? If the poster took the time to write something, either return the favor or don't bother issuing an opinion. It seems like common courtesy-- the one that keeps the thumb and middle finger from being collapsed together in a mangled, disfigured mitt.
    If a post contains things I both agree and disagree with, I either don't thumb, or if I have time, I reply. If the post as a whole, is agreed/disagreed with, and it falls into one of the situations I outlined above, I might thumb.
    Hillary Clinton - proven liar, cheat, traitor and defender of rapists! Anyone but Hillary 2016! https://www.facebook.com/AntiHillary2016


    3 members found this post helpful.

  17. #97
    Join Date
    May. 11, 2004
    Posts
    2,355

    Default

    I generally do not even use them. I may have use the red thumb maybe 3times when the posters really said something (not in jest). But other than that I mostly ignore the whole thumb thing. But there is a poster that seems to have something against every post I do. Or at least I assume it is one poster. It would be interesting to find out, the thumbs should not be anonymous.
    Friend of bar .ka


    2 members found this post helpful.

  18. #98
    Join Date
    Feb. 6, 2003
    Location
    NorthEast
    Posts
    25,022

    Default

    OK, I just thumbed down a couple replies and thumbed up jetsmom and halt near x.
    And my reasons are:
    The thumbs downs are due to people reading WAY too much into an agree/disagree thumb, base their opinions of self worth over whether anonymous internet people find them wonderful or not and then chastise everyone who doesn't agree that they should only ever receive a thumbs up so as not to damage their sensitive self-worth images. Equating a thumbs down with You Suck.

    Thumbs ups were because I agree with jetsmom's whole post...we've also disagreed quite often on some subjects and have argued before on them but I do like her and value her opinions on here in general. So she may get both thumbs ups and downs from me and I'm pretty sure I'll get the same from her.

    And halt near x got a thumbs up because I love the ambiguous thumb idea. I was going to suggest adding a "thumbs down from a unicorn" option also so that those who are disagreed with on a certain post won't feel so damaged over it.

    And no, I don't think I'm a tough old bird IRL but I've never posted anything online here that I wouldn't be comfortable saying in person. And I've never been one to let other people IRL or online affect my personality. As stated before...people can only bother you if you give them permission to.
    You jump in the saddle,
    Hold onto the bridle!
    Jump in the line!
    ...Belefonte


    8 members found this post helpful.

  19. #99
    Join Date
    Sep. 20, 2005
    Posts
    3,504

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by mvp View Post
    Nor is she/he the only person who likes the "thumbs down as great for all the same reasons that a drive-by shooting is great."
    What on earth are you talking about?

    1) You don't think this will ever happen to you;
    This? OH NO, NOT THIS! Seriously though, drive-by shooting? It's clicky thing that says "disagree".

    Glorifying the drive-by thumbs down makes no sense to me if you plan to be part of the COTH community for very long.
    Eh, I've been around for a couple years long than even you, so I think it'll be okay. Unless you've somehow been invested with the power to vote people off the island?

    I like you MVP, but your constant attempts to control everyone's behavior get tiring.
    "Are you yawning? You don't ride well enough to yawn. I can yawn, because I ride better than you. Meredith Michael Beerbaum can yawn. But you? Not so much..."
    -George Morris


    10 members found this post helpful.

  20. #100
    Join Date
    Jun. 14, 2006
    Location
    MI
    Posts
    11,748

    Default

    When I get a thumbs down, I go back, re read what I wrote, think about why it may have gotten the thumbs down. Was I insensitive in my response? Not tactful? Did I get my facts wrong? Did I inadvertently offend someone? I really do think about those posts. If I take the time to respond to a post, my goal is to effectively communicate something. I often fail at being concise--I'm working on it. I hate feeling misunderstood. I rarely, if ever, post just to be snarky. Even when I vehemently disagree, I try to be diplomatic about it. So when I see a thumbs down, I think "well, you didn't do a good job on THAT one."

    And when I see a thumbs up I think, "okay, you're on the right track."

    I do pay attention. I just wish we could see who was up or downing a post because I'm pretty sure that on more than one occasion, someone just gets pissed off about post A and proceeds to "stalk" and thumbs down every post they can find from the poster who pissed them off.
    A good horseman doesn't have to tell anyone...the horse already knows.

    Might be a reason, never an excuse...


    5 members found this post helpful.

Similar Threads

  1. Why were my CL horse posts "alerted" on but others NOT?
    By bayou_bengal in forum Off Course
    Replies: 9
    Last Post: Sep. 11, 2011, 02:12 PM
  2. Replies: 64
    Last Post: Jan. 31, 2011, 06:53 AM
  3. Replies: 1
    Last Post: Feb. 22, 2010, 07:12 AM
  4. Replies: 2
    Last Post: Jan. 8, 2010, 11:01 AM
  5. CSH people - "first premium" offspring? "Elite" mares?
    By lowroller in forum Sport Horse Breeding
    Replies: 11
    Last Post: May. 6, 2008, 10:25 PM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •