The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Clarksdale, MS--the golden buckle on the cotton belt

Default The US IS full of psychopaths

A fellow who lives down the road from me just came by. His elderly (old) aunt was murdered last night in her home. The body was badly burned where something had been poured over her and lit. Coroner said this was one of the worst he's seen. So far they aren't sure if she was dead before being set on fire or not.

Police may have a suspect in custody. It's a stranger on stranger crime, and both robbery and pure evil are probably involved.

How can people have such complete lack of empathy? And self control? What is it about our culture that seems to permit such heinous acts as this and the multiple mass shootings that have recently occurred--New Town is far from the only one. One questions whether political hostility also leads to hostile behaviour in private lives; where is acceptance of other peoples humanity, the golden rule, and unselfishness today. Just too many people acting out unthinkable thoughts.
    "I'm a lumberjack, and I'm okay."
    Thread killer Extraordinaire

Interesting -- psychopathology. Sometimes, people in business and politics (not just from this era, mind you), have made me wonder...

Found this test online: Are you a Psychopath? This is a 42 question test that you can take in about 10 minutes to determine, if you have psychopathic traits or a psychopathic personality. After submitting your answers, your results will be displayed (completely free).

http://www.counseling-office.com/sur...chopathy.phtml
    Nothing with horses is ever easy or cheap. And if it is, you're doing it wrong. They always rip out part of your soul when they leave. I guess that's how they find us later.

That was an interesting test. Interesting meaning, slightly terrifying.

There is no clear indication that you might have a psychopathic / antisocial personality disorder.

You reached, however, 56.25% of Factor 1 which captures the core personality traits of psychopathy that define the interpersonal and affective deficits of this personality disorder (e.g. shallow affect, superficial charm, manipulativeness, lack of empathy) and that are correlated with narcissistic personality disorder, low anxiety, low empathy, low stress reaction and low suicide risk.

(I'm not entirely sure why the things I bolded are considered bad? They're definitely true in my case.)

And then, there was this:

You meet 100% of the range of general personality disorder criteria. However, there are no clear indications of you having a psychopathic/antisocial, narcissistic or histrionic disorder, so there might be another problem not captured by this test.

====

Yeah, I know. Off-topic from the OP. Sorry!
    The dude abides ...

It says I'm okay to talk to . Mine came out fine and it congratulated me. Then again, I went through the test saying to myself, "Oh, I've met one of those. One of these too. There are people like this!!!" Uh oh.
    <><

Sorry Vinny, I didnt have the heart to post condolences, I think I've reached my limit on sensory intake. So, sorry you had to hear this too, I guess your neighbor was comforted by being able to talk to you though.

1 members found this post helpful.

Quote Originally Posted by Opus1 View Post
    \

You reached, however, 56.25% of Factor 1 which captures the core personality traits of psychopathy that define the interpersonal and affective deficits of this personality disorder (e.g. shallow affect, superficial charm, manipulativeness, lack of empathy) and that are correlated with narcissistic personality disorder, low anxiety, low empathy, low stress reaction and low suicide risk.

(I'm not entirely sure why the things I bolded are considered bad? They're definitely true in my case.)
    Well, "low empathy" is considered bad because it means, more or less, you don't feel for other people. In its most extreme form, that's how you can use or injure someone without feeling anything about it. Low suicide risk isn't a bad thing ALONE, in conjunction with other traits it can be another indication of extreme value of self over others.

Irony, I'm watching this after reading (and while watching) "The Name of the Rose." Even if you take OUT the fictional murders you have enough blood and gore and violence to fill a Wes Craven movie ten times over. And that's set in a (very accurate) rendering of the late 1300s. There's nothing new about violent death, what's new is we now hear about it even if it happens a thousand miles away and is ultimately irrelevant to us personally. We start over-identifying and personalizing everything, which blows it out of proportion.

1 members found this post helpful.

You would be surprised at how many CEOs and politicians are psychopaths.

To get that high you need to lack empathy for the people you step on as you climb to the top.

Unfortunately many people try to emulate them.
    The Denver Broncos went to visit an orphanage. "It's so sad looking into their faces so devoid of hope." Sara aged 6

9 members found this post helpful.

That's horrible. It's not new. I grew up in a time and place where such elderly women were targeted for such torture and murder bu a certain group - much of it in the South. I thought it had stopped. I am very, very sorry and it brings back memories of so many others.

I'm so sorry vineyridge...What a terrible thing, I can't even imagine.

WHAT?? WHY? and by whom?

Quote Originally Posted by Coyoteco View Post
    That's horrible. It's not new. I grew up in a time and place where such elderly women were targeted for such torture and murder bu a certain group - much of it in the South. I thought it had stopped. I am very, very sorry and it brings back memories of so many others.

The US? The WORLD is full of psychopaths!
    "You post all your drama on Facebook and get mad when people judge you? You're a special kind of stupid, aren't you?"

4 members found this post helpful.

Quote Originally Posted by Coyoteco View Post
    Please explain, I too grew up in the south but did not hear of such.
    "Never do anything that you have to explain twice to the paramedics."
    Courtesy my cousin Tim

Words just fail me over a thing like this. I just can't wrap my head around such things. My heartfelt sympathies to all.

Quote Originally Posted by vineyridge View Post
    A fellow who lives down the road from me just came by. His elderly (old) aunt was murdered last night in her home. The body was badly burned where something had been poured over her and lit. Coroner said this was one of the worst he's seen. So far they aren't sure if she was dead before being set on fire or not.

Police may have a suspect in custody. It's a stranger on stranger crime, and both robbery and pure evil are probably involved.

How can people have such complete lack of empathy? And self control? What is it about our culture that seems to permit such heinous acts as this and the multiple mass shootings that have recently occurred--New Town is far from the only one. One questions whether political hostility also leads to hostile behaviour in private lives; where is acceptance of other peoples humanity, the golden rule, and unselfishness today. Just too many people acting out unthinkable thoughts.

Viney I am sorry to hear about your neighbor.
    "Never do anything that you have to explain twice to the paramedics."
    Courtesy my cousin Tim

I know a few men whom I would consider psychopaths - I just try to steer clear of them. They put on a good "face" for society of how they think "normal" should act, but they are very manipulative, cold, and calculating people.
    My Mustang Adventures - Mac, my mustang | Annwylid D'Lite - my Cob filly

"A horse's face always conveys clearly whether it is loved by its owner or simply used." - Anja Beran

Clarksdale, MS--the golden buckle on the cotton belt

Here's a link to the story.
    http://www.pressregister.com/article...a4bcf887a.html

One would suppose that the anonymous tip might have come from an accomplice to the burglary/robbery who was disgusted at the murder.

We had another elderly woman who was beaten to death and robbed by a male teenager just a few months ago. He's been caught and has nothing to do with this. And someone or ones went on a shooting spree about a year ago and killed two horses for the fun of it. And multiple street shootouts and drive by shootings and the usual gang related executions. All this in a town of 17,000 plus or minus.

There was also one night last week when five cars in a single, rather rural subdivisions were broken into and robbed. Also probably young males.

I know I sound crazy, but we need to get all the chemicals out of the environment and rid of the plastics that leach chemicals into our food and water. All these synthetic estrogens can't be good for young males. Heck, there is a rather dangerous chemical called brominated vegetable oil in Gatorade and many other foods and drinks that is a synthetic estrogen producer and has been linked by research to toxic results.
    http://voices.yahoo.com/the-dangers-...l-1569091.html
    "I'm a lumberjack, and I'm okay."
    Thread killer Extraordinaire